Fuji X Wedding Photography Chat

abjurina

anyone using the xt10 for weddings? I am a bit unsure because all I see are xt1, xpro1 and xe1/2. I will have my first coverage in 3 years. I use canon before, it will be my first time using the fuji for an event. I will still have my canon as a backup just in case.

I have 

xt10 as my main camera

10-23mm f4 (might swap to 23mm after the event)

35mm f1.4

56mm f1.2

might get another xt10 when I sell my eos m and other lenses.

The X-T10 is more than capable of shooting a wedding.  Have fun!

The right tool in the right hands can produce some pretty amazing results.

my little rant :

At my last wedding of 2015 (last month) I had my THIRD Nikon body fail on me (over the past 5 yrs).  My primary body/kit is XT1 and with migrating over from Nikon this year, I still had one foot in the Nikon camp because I wanted to work with Fuji for a year and budget limited me having two complete kits.  With my D610 failing on me last month (curtain got jammed) and previously have D700 fail (new motherboard needed) and repeated ERR codes on my D3s ... this third camera (D610) was it.  When it happened 1hr into this wedding and it being the 3rd time this has happened over 5yrs ... I said 'that's it ... I'm fed up with the Nikon bodies and after winter when I get it repaired, it and my 70-200/2.8 and 50/1.4 Nikon are all GONE!  I will replace with another XT1 and 70-200/2.8 Fuji (more or less) .. I already have the 50mm 1.4 Fuji (I talk full frame focal lengths).

X-T10 will do the job perfectly fine as long as good weather sealing isn't required.

I've never shot range finder and am interested in the XPro-2 ... so I expect I will try to get my hands on it to play with it before I commit to another XT-1.

I have been using Canon 6D + various lenses for weddings/events/newborns

Switched to X-T1 + 23mm + 56mm and 10-24mm about 18 months ago and I loved it.

YN560mk2 works fine with x-t1,

lately i added yn622c and yn622 tx for off camera flash setup.

Here is my website: www.benimlemisiniskocyali.com

Good point, Adam. [emoji106]

My definition of backup was like, "leave a spare body and maybe a single zoom lens in the car, just in case disaster strikes and you'd rather not shoot the wedding with an iPhone". [emoji12]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

No worries :)

I got the point. In 2016 before summer, I want to buy a backup body just in case. Probably 2nd hand XE1. ıt is about 200$ in Turkey (2nd hand)

• 4 weeks later...

Newer Fuji convert here:

I would love to adopt a 'less is more' attitude, but I find myself fighting my gearheadedness at every turn.

My old Kit:

Canon 5D3 - 6D

Lenses - 28/1.8 - 35/2 - 50/1.4 SigmaArt - 85/1.8 - 135/2 - 70-200/4 - 24-105/4 - 17-35/2.8

Flashes - 580EXII, Godox 850 (x2)

Triggers - Phottix Strato II

New Fuji Kit:

XT10, X100T - Went with the XT10 over the XT1 simply because I knew the XPro2 was coming. I'll either add one or replace the X100T with it.

Lenses - Rokinon 12/2, 23/1.4, 35/1.4, 56/1.2, 90/2, 18-55 kit lens.

Flashes - Nissin i40, Godox 850 (x2)

Triggers - Phottix Strato II

I kept my Canon Kit in the car ready to go for the first few weddings that I shot with Fuji. Having done a handful, I'm still tempted to keep one DSLR around for reception shooting as I can't seem to get the Fuji to be nearly rapid enough with flashed shots.

• 1 month later...

Im really glad this post exists..I am new coming from Canon and had an idea of what lenses to get but this sheds some light on the subject. I have so far bought a X-e2 with the 18-55. I was planning on getting the 35mm f2, 50-140mm, and probably either the 10-24 or the 14mm F2. Anyone have either preference between the 10-24 or the 14mm?

Cheers

Im really glad this post exists..I am new coming from Canon and had an idea of what lenses to get but this sheds some light on the subject. I have so far bought a X-e2 with the 18-55. I was planning on getting the 35mm f2, 50-140mm, and probably either the 10-24 or the 14mm F2. Anyone have either preference between the 10-24 or the 14mm?

Cheers

For weddings if you work in places with bad lighting, I'd go with the 14 for the low light capabilities unless you really want the ultra-wide at 10mm. Of course I eventually traded my 14 in for the 16 for the same reason.

Im shocked at how much gear people think they need to cover a wedding  

I don't shoot weddings these days (Thank God !!)  but when I did the Fuji didn't exist and it was all shot 6x6 and my god the gear was a killer !

To have one small bag for a job now is a sheer joy 

To be honest I think i could do a pretty good job of a wedding with just an  X100t .................  Anyone getting married :)

Just wait until the drone discussion starts. It's probably a matter of expectations, style, taste and so on. You might shoot a wedding to your taste with just an X100T but it might not be the style and look your customers want. Or it might. 

Couples and wedding photographers hopefully find each other via portfolio, previous work and word of mouth. Therefore, couples should be able to find a "matching" photographer. If their expectations can be met with an X100T, so be it. I like the documentary style of Kevin Mullins and he has done a lot with one small body with 23mm lens and another with either 35 of 56. Something like this would be great for my personal taste. Others want the crazy fashion style glamour photos that are done with half a dozen lights scattered an ancient ruin you had to drive an hour to get to ... 

To each his/her own.

Thanks for the response Ryan, 

After readying almost every post here.  A good question for everyone who shoots Wedding Photography, what would your top 4 lenses be to take on a shoot?

Thanks

No problem. I switched from Canon to Fuji in Sep / Oct 2014 and have shot about 40 weddings with Fuji since then. Primarily X-T1 bodies, supplemented by an X100T on the days I'm feeling like it. In that time my two most used lenses are definitely the 23mm f/1.4 and the 56 f/1.2. Hands down these two lenses are on a body for 75% of a wedding day at least. If I had to choose two lenses, for me it's an easy choice. I can definitely shoot a whole day on those if I need to do it.

From there it gets a bit trickier depends on the shoot, and honestly my mood. If I'm going to be in a dark church then I'll bring my 50-140 because the image stabilization means I can get and extra couple stops. If church light is not a concern (or it's an outdoor ceremony) I'll opt for the 90mm instead to save even more room / weight. I usually opt to put on the 18mm f/2. It's super light and small and I'm mostly using zone focus at that point so I'm not concerned with autofocusing speeds at that point of my day. And that lens has the hand focal distance scale in the lcd / viewfinder of the XT1.

And then of course there's the 35mm. I love the images from it. Do I need it? Nope. But that doesn't stop me some days. And of, course as cug said - a lot is dependent on style / approach. 

• 3 months later...

Late to the party, but my top 4 lenses would probably be...

14mm f/2.8 - I love this for epic dance shots.

23mm f/1.4

35mm f/2 - Tiny lens lets me sneak in shots

56mm f/1.2 - AF is a little slower than I'd like in dark situations, but it's a stellar lens. I'd love a 50-140 though.

Cool to see everyone's setups for weddings. I haven't got a photo of my current kit right now, but here's mine:

X-T1 + X-E2

18/2 + 23/1.4 + 35/1.4 + 56/1.2

2x Yongnuo speedlights

It's simple, but gets the job done. The only serious changes I'd like to make are the 16mm 1.4 in place of the 18mm (I like being able to set both bodies to the same settings, and I'd like a beefier lens with internal focusing), and ideally an X-T2 so I can have two bodies with battery grips.

What I typically do is leave the 56mm on my gripped X-T1 for the bulk of the day (from getting ready through to speeches and first dances), and use either the 23mm or 35mm on the X-E2, depending on what I'm shooting. For girls getting ready and bridal portraits I'll usually stick with the 35mm, but for guys getting ready, ceremony, and candids/group shots, I'll use the 23mm. After the first dances, once the partying starts, I switch to the 28mm on the X-T1 with an on-camera flash for dancing photos, and keep the 23mm on the X-E2 for natural light stuff.

All in all, it works pretty well. Like I said, the 16mm would be a great replacement for the 18mm, because it buys me a stop of light, better AF, internal focusing, and similar handling to my other two main lenses. To get picky, I'd love a second X-T body in place of the X-E2, for the battery grip and for most continuity between bodies.

If I could get really picky, I'd like an X100T to hang around my neck in lieu of the 23mm, and run 16mm + X100T + 56mm. Other than switching the 16mm for the 35mm for bridal portraits, I could stick with that combo all day and be perfectly happy.

• 3 weeks later...

My setup changed quite a bit.

2 X-T1 turned into 2 X-Pro2 (imo the best wedding camera money can buy you at the moment).

And regarding lenses, I currently use the 16 1.4, 23 1.4, 35 1.4, 56 1.2 and 50-140 2.8. With 2 YN flashes, 2 triggers a boat load of batteries, sd cards and a few other things that's the whole kit.

- I typically use the 16-55/2.8 and 50-140/2.8 for outdoor ceremony, family/wedding party/bride & groom time + casual shooting at outdoor parts of the wedding.

- I typically use the 10-24/4, 16/1.4 and 35/1.4 when inside for the before ceremony getting ready and reception speeches and indoor casual shooting.  Usually the first dance/parent dance as well.

- For the end of night fast dancing I almost always use 10-24/4 and have it at 10mm to get that ultra wide look.

For the most part, my recent blog post matches what I'm saying here.  http://adamwoodhousephotography.ca/golden-beach-resort-wedding/

Edited by Adam Woodhouse