Does the X-T2 get HOT?

wildcart

Check out the new NP-W126S batteries.  Word is they are designed to be used for the 4K video specifically for the purpose of keeping things cool.  It is my understanding they will also work in the Xpro2 so might be worth a try.  You might ask Fuji for clarification on how they will perform with the Xpro2.

My X-Pro 2 gets really hot after a few min of continues use. 

How does the X-T2 handel the heat of the new sensor/cpu?

On video? My Pro2 gets only slightly warm but not hot on high speed bursts. Haven't tried video.

I used the T2 for about an hour. It ran slightly warm but not as warm as the Pro2. Didn't use video either.

Check out the new NP-W126S batteries.  Word is they are designed to be used for the 4K video specifically for the purpose of keeping things cool.  It is my understanding they will also work in the Xpro2 so might be worth a try.  You might ask Fuji for clarification on how they will perform with the Xpro2.

If the price is the same it makes sense otherwise the Pro2 would not benefit from using the new S battery as it will not draw as much current as the T2 during 4k video. Not much benefit on the Pro2 as there isn't a need for heat protected battery.

the new "S" version battery has improved heat dissipation compared to the older version, so a logical improvement. The outfit TheCameraStore" up in Canada did a video on the X-T2 running it through it's paces. They were impressed by the fact it easily did it's 30 minutes of video with no overheating like the Sony A6300 that kept shutting down at 10-15 minutes. I suspect they did a great heat sink job on this camera as they pretty much had to.

from b@h product page:

For using the maximum power of your X-T2 or X-Pro2 mirrorless camera, the Fujifilm NP-W126S Li-Ion Battery Pack has been designed to better manage heat and ensure lightning fast camera performance. This battery is also compatible with older cameras that use the NP-W126 battery pack, but users will not see any performance advantages in those bodies.

In initial testing I to am finding the base of my X-T2 is getting warm after what I call light work. I have also noted high usage of the battery.

I was fortunate to get my hands on pre release models of both the Pro 2 and XT2. The Pro 2 got exceptionally warm/hot, which I commented to the guys from Fuji at the time. The XT2 did not suffer this problem. It was one of the reasons I erred towards the XT2.

Over the next week I am going to do back to back tests with both my XT2 and XT1 to compare how warm they get and battery life whilst performing identical tasks.

I'm finding my X-T2 to be uncomfortably hot. No video. Just photos.

I'm using the included battery but already order another to see if there's any improvement.

Anyone else? 

Yes I was only going over mine to get familiar with it and it did get warm after about an hour, not hot though just a little warm which I did think was odd. Makes be wonder how it will keep cool in 30c temps.

I used the XT2 a fair amount at my last weekends wedding and it did not get warm.  This was a causal mix of stills and video as I used it along with my XT1.

During the reception I setup the XT2 on a tripod with a boom mic and recorded video of all the speeches.  Longest speech was 13min ... so that was continual video recording.  I did not have the new S battery in the camera (it was already exhausted and I was onto either the old original battery or the Watson aftermarket battery ... I can't recall).  All video was 1080p 30fps.  I had to switch the memory card when that speech was over and noticed the memory card was warm.  But the body felt fine.  

I'd expect almost any small compact camera that is shooting video for a period of time to get a bit warm, so this seemed pretty normal to me.

Hello everyone,

I recently got my X-T2 and indeed I noticed it gets warm pretty quickly, just taking stills, no continuous shooting or video. The area that gets warm is near the tripod socket and battery grip contacts.

I don't know if that will affect battery life or not, but it's definitely noticeable. It's not uncomfortable, but I hope it won't cause any issue, or need to send it for repair. I love this camera and I'd be annoyed if I had to part from it for a while... ;-)

Val

• 3 months later...

Hi,

I have an X-T2, and yes it does get warm: at the bottom and elsewhere. If I turn the LCD screen down and touch the back of the camera, then it is hot there too. This happens with the new batteries too. This heat appears after a few minutes if one keeps the LCD and the camera on. To reduce the heat, I switch the LCD off and use the eye sensor to turn the EVF on when I look through it. This works well, but i have not tried it in hot weather.

The camrea is warm but not extremely hot.

The heat happens when I take still photos. I do not take videos. WIth 4k I guess it will produce more heat.

I tried another X-T2 and it got warm too. One amazon review also mentions the heat problem. I also read it somewhere in a review from a professional person.

When the ambient temperature rises, one will probably have more heat, since the camera cannot dissipate its heat as easily.

On set (I'm a stills photographer) I shoot on average 2,200 shots per 10-hour day, and heat buildup has never been an issue. My X-Pro2 did get warm under the same demands, and the X-T2 is cooler. Neither camera got so hot as to need shutting down. I keep the eye sensor on but rely on the LCD a lot, since we often shoot from low angles or hold the camera over the movie camera's matt box where it would be impossible to look through the viewfinder.

I think the "S" battery does makes a difference, but more than that for heavy continuous shooting with the XT2 I suggest using the battery base, especially for video. That also gives you a headphone port. 

I got my X-T2 on Sept. 6th. Shot with it all the time since. Took it to Barcelona and put 5,000 shots through it in the first week. I work for my city's tourism board shooting videos on interesting restaurants in the area. I shoot video on it along with my GH4.

Not once have I noticed the X-T2 getting warm. I had a guy tell me he returned two because they were warm to the touch but I've never had any of these problems.

I run both the NP-W126S battery along with the old NP-W126 battery as well as a number of Wasabi and Patona third-party batteries. Zero problems across the board. Couldn't be happier with it, really.

I've had both the X-Pro2 and the X-T2. I've never noticed the X-T2 getting hot whereas the X-Pro2 would get warm just going through the menus, shooting stills. I even got a high temp warning on the X-Pro2 after only recording a few minutes of 1080P video. I wouldn't say it ever got "hot" though.

I will say the X-T2 certainly gets cold when used out in the winter elements. More so than any other camera I've owned. Feels like carrying a block of ice in your hand.

A lot of bursting will get the X-T1 warm, too, so will using the X8 flash unit that draws power from the internal battery - which I assume is the main culprit in warming up the body, along with the screen.

In the X-T2, you have a four times more powerful processor for ACROS noise simulation, 4k downsampling, and blazing fast AF and burst shooting. All this functionality will draw quite a bit of power, which has to be dissipated by the body, as it is ultimately turned into heat. So it's not very surprising and I'm sure the camera is designed for it.

A warmer environment will make it harder for the body to get rid of the heat, so it will reach a higher equilibrium temperature. If you find that to be a problem with stationary use, you can remove heat from the equation by using an external power supply and switching the view mode to viewfinder + eye sensor only. CPU heat can be reduced by not using ACROS, using slower burst modes like 5fps, and turning off boost, which will slower AF speed.

Personally, I wouldn't worry about it unless it is very uncomfortable to you to have warm hands.

• 2 weeks later...

My X-Pro 2 gets really hot after a few min of continues use. 

How does the X-T2 handel the heat of the new sensor/cpu?

Not clear how you are using it for it to get hot, but shooting still images with XT2-mine does not get hot. You want hot just try the Leica M240. Yikes compared to the XT2.

Last wedding I had the XT2 on a tripod to video the speeches.  Fathers speech was 25min.  Camera was set to 1080p/30fps.  Camera was barely warm after that.  Also shot the other speeches but they were a more reasonable length (5 - 10 min).  When the speeches were done (there were breaks between speeches), I had shot over an hour of video (over a 90 - 120 min period) and camera was fine.  Zero temp concerns.

Edited by Adam Woodhouse