Help!!!!! Which Lenses for Morocco?

ullmandds

Hi all,

I thought I'd revive this thread to get some more input. I'm off hopefully on 31 October to spend 3 days in Marrakesh, 3 days Atlas, 4 days in Essioura.

I'm lucky to have good selection of X lenses which gives me some great options, with Morocco I'm principally worried:

- Will the 16-55mm plus grip draw way to much attention to me in souks and walking about etc?

- will I need anything longer than the 56mm, especially in the Atlas Mountains or other parts of the trip? I really don't want to carry the 50-140mm unless it's going to get some solid mileage. I would consider renting the 90mm instead if the focal length is helpful.

- is weather sealing helpful?

In terms of interest, it's mainly landscapes and travel. Maybe the odd portrait but I'm not going to shoot loads of portraits.

Hi all,

I thought I'd revive this thread to get some more input. I'm off hopefully on 31 October to spend 3 days in Marrakesh, 3 days Atlas, 4 days in Essioura.

I'm lucky to have good selection of X lenses which gives me some great options, with Morocco I'm principally worried:

- Will the 16-55mm plus grip draw way to much attention to me in souks and walking about etc?

- will I need anything longer than the 56mm, especially in the Atlas Mountains or other parts of the trip? I really don't want to carry the 50-140mm unless it's going to get some solid mileage. I would consider renting the 90mm instead if the focal length is helpful.

- is weather sealing helpful?

In terms of interest, it's mainly landscapes and travel. Maybe the odd portrait but I'm not going to shoot loads of portraits.

For the odd portrait, a 35mm should be good enough as well wide open, as long as you remember to keep an eye on the background for framing.

I never travel with anything over 56mm, unless it's specifically a photo trip where I'll be alone and have time to shoot.

For a body as small as possible, consider just a prime. I prefer 23 to 35 range, but that's whatever suits your style most.

I wouldn't bother with a grip for travel.

The 16-55 should be fine for almost anything, if you can add one fast prime to that for late night and dark spaces.

Enjoy the trip! That part of the globe is still very high on my wishlist...

Thanks for the reply. Fingers crossed our travel agent can confirm all the hotels.

The 16-55mm is a great lens, I used it almost exclusively in California for a week. I'm just worried about bulk/being noticed whilst out and about, given Moroccans are not comfortable around cameras from what I've read thus far.

Maybe that and the 35mm is the answer, vs a 3 prime kit.

The Atlas Mountains on the other hand, seem to be a bit short on info re: long lens requirements.

Thanks for the reply. Fingers crossed our travel agent can confirm all the hotels.

The 16-55mm is a great lens, I used it almost exclusively in California for a week. I'm just worried about bulk/being noticed whilst out and about, given Moroccans are not comfortable around cameras from what I've read thus far.

Maybe that and the 35mm is the answer, vs a 3 prime kit.

The Atlas Mountains on the other hand, seem to be a bit short on info re: long lens requirements.

Thing about shooting in mountains, I find, is it's more about time of day and patience. Waiting for and finding the proper light will be way more important than having this or that lens attached...

For travel, whatever you have works. Yesterday shooting in the Kananaskis Country south of the Canadian mountain parks, the  X-Pro1 and Samyang fisheye nailed a ring of mountains around a high-altitude lake. A 14mm full-frame captured brackets with incredible dynamic ranges. The 60mm f/2.4 captured delicate autumn colours of tiny plants in autumn. A lens with a 2,000mm FOV captured close-ups on a grizzly bear mom and two cubs cramming carbs for the winter. They were high on a mountain meadow and very difficult to see and frame. Those were the extremes, but many other fields of view have been perfect for the incredibly rich material I have been wallowing in for the past week and a half.

Every focal length on every camera is an excellent travel lens.

I've been toiling over which lenses I should bring on my upcoming trip to morocco.  I've watched countless videos and read every online article.  Dust is an issue...most people dont want to be photographed...wide streets.  

I'm thinking 18-55 or 18-135...14mm...and either the 23 1.4 or 35/2.  Or should I consider 55-200 to try to take "spy" shots at a distance?

Thoughts?  Advice?  Opinions?  

My good friend... I was born in Morocco and finally went back to see it in 2000!  My greatest advice to you is...be discreet, I was yelled at a few times for taking someones picture..Albeit one was of a person kneeling  at prayer time. my bad!!

The markets (souks) are very densely packed and crowded so definitely go with a wide lens (18-55) will work very well.  I have the 55-200 as well.. That will not suit you very well in the souks, but great to have in open spaces for those "spy" shots.  I would recommend the 18-55 and if you have a prime like the 35 or 28.... Some people feel that their souls are being stolen when you photograph them so be discreet.. You will have a million photo ops!! enjoy 

I've been toiling over which lenses I should bring on my upcoming trip to morocco.  I've watched countless videos and read every online article.  Dust is an issue...most people dont want to be photographed...wide streets.  

I'm thinking 18-55 or 18-135...14mm...and either the 23 1.4 or 35/2.  Or should I consider 55-200 to try to take "spy" shots at a distance?

Thoughts?  Advice?  Opinions?  

I am doing the same analysis for a trip to Cuba. My conclusion - X-T2, 14mm, the new 23mm and the 60 macro. Travel light.

Edited by sababa123

I've been there twice in '98 and '99 for 2 weeks each time, it is a beautiful country and marvelous people, back then I was giving my first steps in photography and took with me 2 zooms: a 28-80 and 75-300 (35mm film). Today I would just take my X100T and probably a 10-24 (narrow alleys) or a 18-135 (landscapes or architectural details).

In your case I would travel light and the most unconspicuous way (2 or 3 primes) - 23 or 35f2 for narrow places like small alleys inside souks and portraits, 14 or 10-24 (+ a small tripod) to take some slow night shots at "Jemaa el-Fna" - Marrakesh. Or take more lenses and each day challenge yourself leaving at the hotel most of them taking with you just 1 or 2. You'll not be regretted in making concessions, photography should be fun and not a lens choice dilemma. Less photo stuff is the way to blend in the croud.

BTW if you have the oportunity don't miss Chefchaouen up in the north, it's a small village on white and blue buildings, really worth it. Essaouira and Marrakesh is also interesting.

Morrocan people is a very friendly people, have a good trip.

• 7 months later...

I think a zoom optic suits best. With a zoom you can cross the border even to another continent. It is a ridiculous answer to a stupid question.

Some photographers in Vietnam a few years ago did not meet this problem. They shot with Leica and Nikon. With simple German or Japanese optics. No DOF problems. Check a You Tube film with music made in the Sixties and admire the top quality of those old photgraphs. Tri-X at 400 or 200 ASA; depends on the press agency. I think people know nothing today. They buy a camera and they think it is easy to press the button.

In the American magazin COLOR PHOTOGRAPHY 1968, mr Norman Rothschild wrote an article in which he compaired the quality of photography in the U.S.A to Europa. In Europe the photoschools were controled bij the state, so European photographers were better skilled. In the U.S.A. any buther's servant with a SLR thought himself an artist.