Help!!!!! Which Lenses for Morocco?

ullmandds

I've been toiling over which lenses I should bring on my upcoming trip to morocco.  I've watched countless videos and read every online article.  Dust is an issue...most people dont want to be photographed...wide streets.  

I'm thinking 18-55 or 18-135...14mm...and either the 23 1.4 or 35/2.  Or should I consider 55-200 to try to take "spy" shots at a distance?

Thoughts?  Advice?  Opinions?  

I wonder if there is a perfect lens for anyone who is going to Morocco! I suppose that there will be many lenses chosen from different people all with good intentions, which, as we know, for some pave the road to hell.

Moroccan people, by the way, do not dislike being photographed but unfortunately SOME are, like in many countries, used to tourists pay for taking pictures, and might be pushy towads that end... but there are countless of examples of Moroccan shots where people aren’t sniped but just shot as you would in many other places in the world.

Just Look at this!

http://www.scoop.it/t/fujifilm-x-pro1-x-e1-x100s?q=morocco

incidentally, these will give you an idea of what to carry with you.

If it were me I would carry a 16-55 and a 55-230 ( and rarely use it) , but that’s me.

I would take the 18-135 and 35/2 since they are weather resistant. (I'm assuming your camera is WR as well?)

18-135 on most of the time and 35 when you are inside and need a faster lens.

I've gone on many trips with my XT-1 and those 2 lenses and haven't missed anything.

When weather isn't too big a concern, I actually prefer the 18-55 and 35.

I've also taken telephotos, but on vacations I tend to take more wide than long for some reason and the lens becomes extra weight.

Don't forget to take a small flash with you also. Some of my favorites images were taken at night.

Thanks for the advice so far...I don't have the 16-55 because it is too big...atleast for now!  

That scoop article is helpful...for saving battery life...but is of no help in selecting lenses!!!!! :P

While I like the prime only idea...I don't think I'd be content with just the 35/2 and the 23mm...I'd want to add the 14/and either 56/90 as well!!!!

I like the idea of the 18-135/35/2 because of the weather resistance and the zoom for most days and the prime for night...and if I go this route I will also take the 14 as id like to play with astro in the desert...and I think I'll need wide.

I would take the 18-135 and 35/2 since they are weather resistant. (I'm assuming your camera is WR as well?)

18-135 on most of the time and 35 when you are inside and need a faster lens.

I've gone on many trips with my XT-1 and those 2 lenses and haven't missed anything.

When weather isn't too big a concern, I actually prefer the 18-55 and 35.

I've also taken telephotos, but on vacations I tend to take more wide than long for some reason and the lens becomes extra weight.

Don't forget to take a small flash with you also. Some of my favorites images were taken at night.

oh and I meant to ask which flash u use...I haven't really used a flash much with my xt1...as the one it came with kinda stinks!

oh and I meant to ask which flash u use...I haven't really used a flash much with my xt1...as the one it came with kinda stinks!

I use a EF-X20 with a cheap flash cord just in case I want to change the direction of the flash.

I sold my EF-X8 (the flash that came with XT-1) as soon as I got it for $35, I think.

The EF-X20 isn't much bigger, but about 10 times better in my opinion and best used in tandem with X100 cameras.

For my XT-1, however, I like to use Nissin i40, simply to take advantage of the high speed sync ability of the flash.

Of course it's only useful during daytime and you may wonder why anyone would use flash with sunlight, but I think using fill flash makes the results go from ordinary point and shoot to the next level, where some thought has gone through the process.

You can use EF-X20 with XT-1 of course, but you won't be able to sync it faster than 1/180th of a second, making the flash pretty much useless in sunlight unless you have a stack of ND filters.

People argue about whether to get a 23mm lens or an X100T, but for me, it's a no-brainer.

The leaf shutter of the X100T allows it to sync with either the EF-X20 or the i40 at pretty much any speed.

Plus it comes with a 3-stop ND filter built into the camera.

Edited by plaidshirts

I like the idea of the 18-135/35/2 because of the weather resistance and the zoom for most days and the prime for night...and if I go this route I will also take the 14 as id like to play with astro in the desert...and I think I'll need wide.

You may consider the Samyang 12 mm f2, that is cheaper, wider and faster. I think it's also better for astro due to comma behaviour. The lack of AF in this UWA isn't so important.

Based on your list, I would take for Morocco these lenses: 18-135, 23, 14. 

Actually, dust is not the issue, unless you're spend days in wild desert or some windy area.

I live in Israel which is considered as desert and dusty region, but I don't get any significant issues with dust, no matter what a lens.

The real issue is harshness of sun for whole day. Hot air, strong UV and IR. 

From the lens you mentioned, I would go 14, 23 and 55-200

If it was me, I'd go, Samyang 12mm, 23 and 60/90.

For zooms, I'd go 10-24, 35, 55-200.

Morocco has great photographic opportunity for landscape, environmental portrait, close portrait and great street photography.

As I'm planning a trip to Cuba for a couple of weeks I'll tell you what I'm taking:

X-T1,  Zeiss 12mm,  Fuji 16 1.4,  18-55 (tack sharp, and light)  and "maybe" my 23 1.4

Enough SD cards for about 9000 Raw+Jpegs

Seven (7) batteries

my 77mm filters and appropriate step-up rings for each lens.

And in checked baggage:  chargers, etc.

No laptop, maybe, just maybe my iPad to send images home and post where wi-fi exists.

That's it.

I'm leaving my 55-200, and my 35 1.4 at home.  I think with the above combo, I've got it all covered rather nicely.  Heck, I might even leave the 12mm as the 16 1.4 is such an amazing lens....

Edited by jlmphotos

Sorry I cant just take the 18-135 and enjoy my vacation!!!!!!  I'm not that kind of guy!!!!!!

To complicate things these are the lenses I own:14, 10-24, 23, 27, 35 1.4/2, 56, 90, 18-135, 55-200.  I picked up a 16 last week but was not happy with my initial results so I returned it...I'm kinda regretting it!!!

I spent the morning at the MN state fair shooting with my 35/2 and my results were mixed.  

I really wish I had the 16mm when I traveled, 18mm was just too narrow in some of the beautiful alleys & smaller locations, especially in Marrakech. If I were traveling again, I'd do the 16mm and the 35mm, never felt the need for any zoom.

35/2 or 35 1.4?  

Additionally I will be in marakech, fez, atlas mountains , desert and the blue city.

Given you have most focal lengths covered multiple times it's hardly surprising you're not sure what to take - you've probably never spent enough time with one lens to learn its strengths.

For me, I'd take the 23 and 56, because that's all I ever take anywhere. If I owned the 18-135 I'd take that because I can't see another reason to own it otherwise (I don't).

I can't say what to take but maybe you find this video interesting. Street Photography with Zack Arias in Marrakech, he seems to use the 27mm and 18-55mm (edit: he also seems to use the 56 and maybe even more)

My preference would be: 

14 (for astro),

35 1.4 (just love the bokeh and colour/rendering) or 56 

18-135

And there's always space for that 27 :-) great for when you want a package without any protruding forms.

Edited by Sluw

Sorry I cant just take the 18-135 and enjoy my vacation!!!!!!  I'm not that kind of guy!!!!!!

To complicate things these are the lenses I own:14, 10-24, 23, 27, 35 1.4/2, 56, 90, 18-135, 55-200.  I picked up a 16 last week but was not happy with my initial results so I returned it...I'm kinda regretting it!!!

I spent the morning at the MN state fair shooting with my 35/2 and my results were mixed.  

35/2 or 35 1.4?  

Additionally I will be in marakech, fez, atlas mountains , desert and the blue city.

35/2

You've got an impressive/insane number of lenses! :)

Since you're averse to carrying only the 18-135, if I were to pick from that list, I'd do the 10-24, 35/2 and 55-200. For what I shoot, I'd rarely ever use the 55-200, but given the diversity of landscapes you will encounter, might be worthwhile carrying it.

As you noted earlier, dust is/will be an issue so I would be very wary of changing lenses often.

thanks guys for the advice.  buying fuji lenses has become somewhat of an "addiction!"  And while I have traveled with a bunch of these lenses...and have taken lots of shots...FROD is right...re the overlap and that I need to practice more! 

I saw that video...I love the vids/photos he took with the remote!!!!

Sadly...I may be cancelling my trip as my dad took an unexpected turn for the worst and is now in the hospital.