Backbutton Focusing

CuzinVin29

Good question!  I'm also confused about this.  Hope someone will be along soon to explain it to us.

I'm sure the X-T1 and 2 have this capability, as does my X-E2.  But when I press either of the back buttons nothing seems to happen?

I guess I need to set up the camera properly to make it work?

Hiya. I do not have the XT-1 so cannot answer directly on how to achieve focus back button but if I generalise you should get the idea of what it means.

As a general rule, most digital cameras shutter release is set to do three functions. As you press the shutter button it will focus, take a light reading and finaly fire the shutter. Now some people like to have these three functions (or some, or a combination) done as seperate tasks rather than all grouped together. So depending on the sophistication of the camera, there may be customisable options that allow these functions to be re-assigned.

Back button focus: Another button on the camera is assigned to be the focus button. Therefore when the Shutter release is pressed, it will no longer focus the camera, to focus the camera a seperate button must be pressed.

Usage: To focus on the prime subject then move the camera where you wish and take shot after shot without the camera trying to focus each time. Very useful if you was doing birds in flight, press the focus when you know the bird is in the frame so the camera is not trying to lock onto everything other than the bird. I use this a lot on my Nikon Cameras

AFL: Auto Focus Lock. The Focus is locked until the shutter is fired. Depending on the cusomisation allowed may be set as a press and hold or switch on/off

Usage: To allow re-composition without the need to hold down the shutter button. I am sure there are a lot of other uses but personally I never use this so I cannot add more

AEL: Exposure Lock. The exposure is locked and will not change until the shutter is pressed. Depending on the cusomisation allowed may be set as a press and hold or switch on/off

Usage: Take a light reading of prime concern then recompose to shoot. I use this option a lot on my Niko Cameras

AFL/AEL often these buttons are one and the same. Most annoying as they should be separate in my opinion . I always configure my cameras for AEL only (exposure) as I use the back button to ffocus so do not need focus lock

Therefore if you are interested, on my Nikon Camera I will compose the shot how I want it, move the sensor to the prime exposure position,  half press to take a light reading then AEL lock the reading  now I move the sensor to the prime focus point, press the back focus to focus it, then lastly I press the shutter to fire, I may then change metering/focus points and fire off another several more shots etc. I use this a lot for interiors.

X-Pro1: The AFL/AEL button is also the back focus button so I cannot set this camera up like my Nikons. That's a bit annoying but as I do not need back focus botton that much on this camera for my uses I just set it to AEL lock only

Final note, this is just generalisation so that you can understand what the buttons are for, some people use different techniques and therefore done need or use them this way, The best thing is to have a play about, change settings and get to understand how these functions work then see how they best fit with your shooting style

Hope this helps

Steve V

Edited by MrSteveVee

I know nothing of backbutton focusing, and believe I've read that it is not possible with the X-T1. Will that be also true with the X-T2?

Thank you.

I have an XT-1.

Set it to manual mode and press the AFL button to focus.

This has been my preferred method to shoot with all my Fuji's and I'm pretty sure they all work the same way.

My X100T has a combined AEL/AFL button but functions the same way in the manual mode, as did my XPro-1 (I think) when I had it.

Hope this helps.

plaidshirts is correct. To get a sort of back button focus functionality on the X-T1 you have to use manual focus.

I believe the X-T2 will have a better feature for this with it being functional in S and C modes as well.

Quote from Ronin Photo Review

"What I think is one of the best customization features of this camera is that you can program the shutter button to do as you desire.  Exposure lock and focus can be enabled or disabled as your discretion.  This mean the X-T2 can do back button focus like your Canikon!"

http://roninphoto.blogspot.com/2016/07/the-fujifilm-x-t2.html

You can set an XT-1 / XT-10 to back button focus without having to have it in manual mode, but it doesn't operate quite the same as you would expect.  When in S or C focus mode, enter the main menu and change the AE/AF-LOCK MODE setting to "AE&AF ON/OFF SWITCH". This should now work.

The only downside is that using this setting, the AF-L button focus is toggled, rather than just for the duration that the button is held down. But once it is in focus, half pressing the shutter button won't change that. If you need to move focus elsewhere, just press the AF-L button once to 'cancel' the current focus, and press again once where required. 

At first I thought this was a compromise to what i'm used to, but in practice I have grown to really like it actually... for instances where i'm low to the ground looking at the flipped screen, it is nice to have the focus locked with no fingers having to be held on a button, which would be awkward for your hand position. Just press once to lock in your focus and then just press the shutter from above to take shots when required.

This will not work of the AE/AF-LOCK MODE is set to 'On when pressing'. In this instance the shutter button will still engage focus. 

Edited by BodKat

I read a really comprehensive review of the X-T2 on Fuji rumors and in the review it says they have implemented AF-On (Back Button Focus) on the X-T2

Here is the link to the entire review.

http://www.fujirumor...-fujifilm-x-t2/

Here is the excerpt from the review that refers to back button focusing.  

DSLR-Style Focus and Exposure Features

Fuji’s X-T line of cameras—and particularly the new X-T2—have been designed to appeal to DSLR users and converts. This means that many users expect their mirrorless camera to behave just like a DSLR, while at the same time it shall offer all advantages of mirrorless technology. In the X-T2, Fujifilm is catering to such demands by implementing several DSLR-specific features:

• Half-pressing the shutter button (and keeping it half-pressed) can be decoupled from initiating an autofocus run or from metering and locking the exposure.
  • Any Fn button can turn into an AF-ON button. AF-ON is a popular DSLR feature that activates the autofocus (AF-S or AF-C) as soon and as long as the AF-ON button is pressed.
  • After taking a shot, releasing the shutter button only halfway back to its half-pressed position (instead of fully letting go) retains focus and exposure of the previous shot for your next shot.

I know nothing of backbutton focusing, and believe I've read that it is not possible with the X-T1. Will that be also true with the X-T2?

"Back-button focus" is a common point of confusion on Fujifilm cameras, and for the same reason that people get confused by the lack of a PASM dial. Fujifilm offers the same functionality but the controls are different.

Most DSLRs have an AF-S/AF-C setting and a "back button focus" setting. Fujifilm has a shutter-release AF setting and a back-button AF setting.

To get back-button focus, simply flip the front switch to AF-M. That decouples the autofocus from the shutter release. As for which mode the back button works in (AF-S or AF-C) when the front switch is in AF-M, there's a menu setting for that.

I've heard that older Fujifilm cameras interrupt back-button AF when the shutter is fired. In AF-C, this forces the camera to reacquire focus for each shot in a burst rather than simply continuing tracking. I've heard that the new models "correctly" ignore the shutter actuation and continue tracking. Exactly which models do what, I don't know, but I think it's a safe guess that the X-T2 and the X-Pro2 (at least with the upcoming AF firmware update) continue tracking.

I have pre-ordered my X-T2 and hope to have it next week. At present I always use back button focusing on my D800. Back button focusing should be available in AF-S and AF-C modes and not simply with manual focus mode as that limits it's utility. Between auto-ISO, aperture priority and back button focusing, I just have to decide what DoF I want when shooting in the street or traveling. Once I switched from using the shutter button to focus to back button focusing I would never go back. I can constantly focus and shoot at high speed with moving objects or recompose and shoot easily. If I cannot do this with the X-T2 I will be very disappointed.

Back button focusing should be available in AF-S and AF-C modes and not simply with manual focus mode

With the Fujifilm cameras you can choose from AF-S on the shutter button, AF-C on the shutter button, AF-S on the back button, or AF-C on the back button.

Selecting AF-M disengages AF from the shutter button and turns on back-button focus. There's a menu option to choose whether back-button focus is AF-S or AF-C.

• 3 weeks later...

I've had my XT-2 for 2 weeks now. The first thing I did was set up back button focusing. The shutter button simply engages the shutter and nothing else. I focus using the AF-L button, which is decoupled from the shutter. It works the same way as it did on my Nikon D800. You do not have to be in M focus mode, contrary to a number of blogs and videos. I am usually shooting in C but sometimes in S and no menu changes are required to back button focus in either once the AF-L button is set up.

You can change the AE-L to do AF-L (and vice versa). The AE-L is ideally placed for AF-L. I hope this isn't too confusing!

That's what I already mentioned above; both are in a poor place, so that's no solution.

The buttons arrangement on the X-Pro1 and X-E1 is actually better than on the newer models, in this respect.

I've had my XT-2 for 2 weeks now. The first thing I did was set up back button focusing. The shutter button simply engages the shutter and nothing else. I focus using the AF-L button, which is decoupled from the shutter. It works the same way as it did on my Nikon D800. You do not have to be in M focus mode, contrary to a number of blogs and videos. I am usually shooting in C but sometimes in S and no menu changes are required to back button focus in either once the AF-L button is set up.

please share your "once the AF-L button is set up" method. thank you.

• 2 weeks later...

I use BBF on the X_

"Back-button focus" is a common point of confusion on Fujifilm cameras, and for the same reason that people get confused by the lack of a PASM dial. Fujifilm offers the same functionality but the controls are different.

Most DSLRs have an AF-S/AF-C setting and a "back button focus" setting. Fujifilm has a shutter-release AF setting and a back-button AF setting.

To get back-button focus, simply flip the front switch to AF-M. That decouples the autofocus from the shutter release. As for which mode the back button works in (AF-S or AF-C) when the front switch is in AF-M, there's a menu setting for that.

I've heard that older Fujifilm cameras interrupt back-button AF when the shutter is fired. In AF-C, this forces the camera to reacquire focus for each shot in a burst rather than simply continuing tracking. I've heard that the new models "correctly" ignore the shutter actuation and continue tracking. Exactly which models do what, I don't know, but I think it's a safe guess that the X-T2 and the X-Pro2 (at least with the upcoming AF firmware update) continue tracking.-T

I am using BBF on the X-T2 now, in AF-S mode (haven't tried AF-C, but I don't see why it wouldn't work there.

Good question!  I'm also confused about this.  Hope someone will be along soon to explain it to us.

I'm sure the X-T1 and 2 have this capability, as does my X-E2.  But when I press either of the back buttons nothing seems to happen?

I guess I need to set up the camera properly to make it work?

I own both and I'm using the BBF on my X-T2.  It has a sorta quirky way to setup, but it does work!

I think all the X-series have an AF-L button.  If the focus selector switch on the front is set to M (manual), the AF-L  acts as a BBF button so long as you have not made a customized assignment to to be something else.  That said, it is located just right for me on the X-E1/2 but is not quite right on the X-Pro2.  The Main difficulty is that on the X-pro2 the button is flush with the body and hard to locate without looking, where as on the older X-E1/2 it was slightly raised and my thumb could find it easily.  In both the X-E2 and X-pro2 it sits just above the Q-menu button so it is easy to press the wrong one.  I've been using a small piece of gaffer tape between the two buttons to help me find  either of then without taking the camera away from my face.

• 1 month later...

You can set an XT-1 / XT-10 to back button focus without having to have it in manual mode, but it doesn't operate quite the same as you would expect.  When in S or C focus mode, enter the main menu and change the AE/AF-LOCK MODE setting to "AE&AF ON/OFF SWITCH". This should now work.

The only downside is that using this setting, the AF-L button focus is toggled, rather than just for the duration that the button is held down. But once it is in focus, half pressing the shutter button won't change that. If you need to move focus elsewhere, just press the AF-L button once to 'cancel' the current focus, and press again once where required. 

At first I thought this was a compromise to what i'm used to, but in practice I have grown to really like it actually... for instances where i'm low to the ground looking at the flipped screen, it is nice to have the focus locked with no fingers having to be held on a button, which would be awkward for your hand position. Just press once to lock in your focus and then just press the shutter from above to take shots when required.

This will not work of the AE/AF-LOCK MODE is set to 'On when pressing'. In this instance the shutter button will still engage focus. 

Actually I really liked the way the X-T1 handled this. Pressing the AF-L button did focus and then lock the focus. The X-T2 changed that it does not focus any longer, just locks, unless one is in M-mode.

I got a few out-of-focus shots until I realized that the X-T2 did no longer focus when locking AF-L.

No idea why they changed it, but probably to accommodate the BBF people. It was a really nice feature even in Non-Manual mode. Unless it conflicts with the BBF changes, I'd like to see a AF-L Button option: AF-ON+LOCK. But I doubt it will change. Too many complained that the Fujis focus not like DSLRs, which is silly, since the buttons are too small for efficient BBF anyway, especially in cold weather.  

So I'm no expert but here's my take on things.  The XT1's method of using the back button focus (BBF) is DIFFERENT than the XT2.  I'll talk about the XT2's method first.  

The XT2 now follows the use of the BBF method more in line with people that used DSLR's in the past.  And the way the DSLR users used BBF and why they raved about is that they left the focus selector (front S,C,M switch) switched to AF-C.  You then decouple the half press of the shutter button to NOT focus with the half press in the menus AND you set the AF-L button to ON (again in the menus) here in is the advantage of using BBF:  Now if you press and HOLD the AF-L button the XT2 will continuously readjust focus to the selected focus point (i.e. work in AF-C mode continuously while the AF-L button is pressed).  If you then release the AF-L button you have now locked the focus to the last focused point and can recompose and fire the shutter button (acting like AF-S without having to switch to AF-S); the best of both worlds, having AF-C and AF-S available all the time!

The XT1 if you got used to it worked differently.  There is no ability to decouple the half press shutter focus so to do the same thing you again put the camera into AF-C.  To get continuous focus you have to half press the shutter button.  To lock focus you press and hold the AF-L button (if you set it to "press" rather than "switch" in the menus for AF-L...this will only make sense if you actually own/ed the XT1).  Essentially the AF-L button in AF-C mode works exactly OPPOSITE the way it works on the XT2!  Again in AF-C mode the XT1 with the AF-L button set to switch will lock focus on your selected focus point while with the XT2 the continuous focus is engaged while the AF-L button is pressed and held and only locks to where the focus point last acquired focus when you RELEASE the AF-L button.

There are many other nuances to the use of the AF-L and AE-L buttons but that's my take on BBF and the advantages it has.  You just have to get used to the differences between the two cameras.

chime in if I've got this wrong.

Edited by hshim