• Please log in to reply
96 replies to this topic

#41 Andy F

Andy F

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 27 September 2016 - 02:28 PM

Advertisement (Gone after free registration)

Here are 2 examples where you can see the differences in the Astia simulation.

Look at the differences at the face and the different green tones and shadow/highlight handling.

Couple of things:

I've found that you need to adjust the Highlight and Shadow sliders quite a bit in order to get the tones looking similar, depending on how you've set your Highlight and Shadow Tone in-camera. You might also want to try setting the Curve (in Base Characteristics) to Film Extra Shadow then using the Curves tool to modify contrast a bit.

Second, by default I don't think C1 applies Light Falloff correction, so you'll have more vignetting than you see in the JPEGs.

#42 hifimacianer

hifimacianer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 27 September 2016 - 02:41 PM

Couple of things:

I've found that you need to adjust the Highlight and Shadow sliders quite a bit in order to get the tones looking similar, depending on how you've set your Highlight and Shadow Tone in-camera. You might also want to try setting the Curve (in Base Characteristics) to Film Extra Shadow then using the Curves tool to modify contrast a bit.

Second, by default I don't think C1 applies Light Falloff correction, so you'll have more vignetting than you see in the JPEGs.

Thanks for your suggestions.

I thought that the C1 Simulations also adjust the interpretation of shadows and highlights by themselves?

By the way: I already tried to match the colors and shadows/highlights by myself, but while the harsh overexposure in the face can be adjusted, the colors of the skin, the grass and the hedge still don't match the original OOC JPEG of the simulation.

I also have other examples where I compared the Velvia Simulation, on a summer scene with the blue water of a swimming pool, colorful sunshades etc. and there the colors and the shadow/highlight handling are off too.

Don't get me wrong - if you don't have a direct comparison the profiles are OK, and a welcome addition to the workflow.

At least they are similar to the original OOC simulations.

But what really bugs me is the fact, that the included simulations in Lightroom are almost 100% perfect in comparison - in colors AND shadow/highlight handling. They just look exactly the same like the JPEG.

#43 bend

bend

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 30 September 2016 - 02:48 AM

Hey folks,

Thanks to all involved for these.

I am a Windows 10 user and am curious if there is a Windows equivlanet to "~/Library/ColorSync/Profiles." where I should be saving these?

I am currently renaming them to SonyA7RM2 at the prefix (I shoot with the A7RII) and saving them in Phase One/Capture One 9/Color Profiles/DSLR

If I should be doing additional or different steps, please let me know, thanks.

#44 fleckintosh

fleckintosh

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 30 September 2016 - 05:53 PM

I thought that the C1 Simulations also adjust the interpretation of shadows and highlights by themselves?

By the way: I already tried to match the colors and shadows/highlights by myself, but while the harsh overexposure in the face can be adjusted, the colors of the skin, the grass and the hedge still don't match the original OOC JPEG of the simulation.

I also have other examples where I compared the Velvia Simulation, on a summer scene with the blue water of a swimming pool, colorful sunshades etc. and there the colors and the shadow/highlight handling are off too.

Don't get me wrong - if you don't have a direct comparison the profiles are OK, and a welcome addition to the workflow.

But what really bugs me is the fact, that the included simulations in Lightroom are almost 100% perfect in comparison - in colors AND shadow/highlight handling. They just look exactly the same like the JPEG.

Lightroom has very exactly Simulations, that is right. But Lightroom also has a very big downside in Details and Microcontrast, as we all know. I was never satisfied with the output of lightroom, thats why i switched to Capture One Pro!

I wonder, how exactly the profiles have to be. You never klick just on the profile and export your image. A lot of settings are also adjusted, so you move away from the "original" OOC look, right?

I use the profiles just as a starting point and adjust some parameters afterwards to my taste. So I NEVER end up with the exactly OOC look.

This profiles are made in reverse engineering and are not official supported by Fujifilm. As you maybe know, Fujifilm is all about wonderful colours and they will never give an exactly color profile to anyone. That is a big secret ;) 

• WalterH likes this

#45 WalterH

WalterH

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 02 October 2016 - 03:43 PM

If you need one-click solutions, there's a great one called Fuji OOC jpegs. Sure, you might not get the full latitude of the raw file, but gosh, you'd have things be exactly as you want them otherwise.

#46 WalterH

WalterH

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 02 October 2016 - 03:49 PM

Lightroom has very exactly Simulations, that is right. But Lightroom also has a very big downside in Details and Microcontrast, as we all know. I was never satisfied with the output of lightroom, thats why i switched to Capture One Pro!

I wonder, how exactly the profiles have to be. You never klick just on the profile and export your image. A lot of settings are also adjusted, so you move away from the "original" OOC look, right?

I use the profiles just as a starting point and adjust some parameters afterwards to my taste. So I NEVER end up with the exactly OOC look.

This profiles are made in reverse engineering and are not official supported by Fujifilm. As you maybe know, Fujifilm is all about wonderful colours and they will never give an exactly color profile to anyone. That is a big secret ;)

+1

I'll say that I happily use these simulations as a starting point for my raw files and work the image from there. I've no need for you to provide us with an exact replication of Fuji OOC look. These establish a fantastic baseline!

Another inquiry into X-T2 versions for 9.3? ;-)

Thanks again.

#47 hifimacianer

hifimacianer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 02 October 2016 - 05:46 PM

There IS a "one click solution" where you get the full latitude from the RAW, while having the OOC look of the film simulations: Lightroom! But everyone knows that LR has other downsides, that's why I use C1.

And why is it bad that people like the OOC look of the Fuji files? Fuji is famous for that, so it seems to be good for many situations.

I like RAW because it gives me more room for improvements in difficult situations. But I don't want to adjust every single picture to my needs! A perfectly matching style for C1 would still be a great starting point for everyone, but it could also be the "one click solution" for the ones who like the OOC look for certain pictures. It would be the best of both worlds.

If you need one-click solutions, there's a great one called Fuji OOC jpegs. Sure, you might not get the full latitude of the raw file, but gosh, you'd have things be exactly as you want them otherwise.

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk

#48 WalterH

WalterH

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 02 October 2016 - 09:24 PM

Ok, so there is a "one-click" (LR) with other limitations. But that's my point: we are in a world of compromises.

I'm making no claims about "bad" anything. I'm noting that you've posted repeatedly about how other people's excellent and utter voluntary (free for you) work falls short (for you.) Yes, I've seen you voice appreciation too but your posts tend to reach beyond observation of difference toward criticism of these free, creative efforts. It's an internet tone thing - can come across as a bit unkind.

There IS a "one click solution" where you get the full latitude from the RAW, while having the OOC look of the film simulations: Lightroom! But everyone knows that LR has other downsides, that's why I use C1.

And why is it bad that people like the OOC look of the Fuji files? Fuji is famous for that, so it seems to be good for many situations.

I like RAW because it gives me more room for improvements in difficult situations. But I don't want to adjust every single picture to my needs! A perfectly matching style for C1 would still be a great starting point for everyone, but it could also be the "one click solution" for the ones who like the OOC look for certain pictures. It would be the best of both worlds.

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk

#49 hifimacianer

hifimacianer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 04 October 2016 - 01:44 PM

Ok, so there is a "one-click" (LR) with other limitations. But that's my point: we are in a world of compromises.

I'm making no claims about "bad" anything. I'm noting that you've posted repeatedly about how other people's excellent and utter voluntary (free for you) work falls short (for you.) Yes, I've seen you voice appreciation too but your posts tend to reach beyond observation of difference toward criticism of these free, creative efforts. It's an internet tone thing - can come across as a bit unkind.

I know that the world is full of compromises. Everyone has to decide what is more important for himself.

You where not directly saying "bad" regarding the SOOC JPEGS, but as you said, there is a "tone thing" in your comment, that let me think your are making indirect claims about "better".

I had no Intention to disrespect the work that is done for the Fuji profiles. Maybe it's because english is not my native language, and there are certain things that I am not able to spell in a more subtile way, as I am able in my native language.

I fully respect the work that is done here. But what is wrong to give some examples where the profiles could be still improved?

I mean the work was released to emulate the Fuji Film Simulations, so I think they had in mind to get a close to 100% result.

#50 erohne

erohne

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 14 November 2016 - 10:36 AM

Thanks a lot! Great work on both X-T1 and X-Pro2 profiles. Since you've already spoiled us with these two sets, any chance of an X-T2 Version too?! Or will the X-Pro2 version work fine because of the same sensor...?

Cheers,

Eivind

#51 kkryanfish

kkryanfish

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 18 November 2016 - 05:56 PM

Really appreciate! Very useful to me. I have tried to use them on my A7R2, it really works! And I really like the colors!

#52 Nobed

Nobed

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 22 November 2016 - 11:07 AM

...am I the only one that can't install those presets? :( They didn't appear...

#53 fleckintosh

fleckintosh

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 22 November 2016 - 07:38 PM

...am I the only one that can't install those presets? :( They didn't appear...

tell me more. What have you done so far?

#54 Nobed

Nobed

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 23 November 2016 - 06:58 PM

My fault! I miss this "little" thing.

"The profiles saved in such a way will be immediately  available under Base Characteristics and a preview will be also available going with the mouse over the profile name."

#55 Nobed

Nobed

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 23 November 2016 - 07:35 PM

For all of you, struggling how to import them into Capture One:

Copy them to Macintosh HD/Library/ColorSync/Profiles

Restart Capture One. You will find them in Base Characteristics.

The Import Process in Capture One will not work, because they are not made with Capture One itself.

This mighty be the reason why Capture One will freeze for some time at the beginning. Don't close the App. Just wait. It seems to take some time. 

I closed my App. Damn. My catalog it's broke or something. I have to use the last automatic backup but I've lost all of my preview.
But yes, profiles works.

#56 DrLaban

DrLaban

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 05 December 2016 - 07:08 PM

Anyone getting these to work with the new Capture One Pro v10 ?

My mac running the new C1 v10 is giving me the beachball when I select any of the custom X-T1 profiles :(

Edited by DrLaban, 05 December 2016 - 08:49 PM.

#57 Ario

Ario

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 06 December 2016 - 03:34 AM

Anyone getting these to work with the new Capture One Pro v10 ?

My mac running the new C1 v10 is giving me the beachball when I select any of the custom X-T1 profiles :(

On my system (Mac Pro-Sierra) everything is in order with CO Pro 10

#58 signore rossi

signore rossi

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 06 December 2016 - 01:42 PM

On my system (Mac Pro-Sierra) everything is in order with CO Pro 10

On mine (maxed out iMac 5k with Sierra), everything is working fine, too...

Edited by signore rossi, 06 December 2016 - 01:43 PM.

#59 kkennyy

kkennyy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 07 December 2016 - 04:12 PM

Deleted as duplicate post.

Edited by kkennyy, 08 December 2016 - 08:33 AM.

#60 kkennyy

kkennyy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 08 December 2016 - 05:52 AM

I'm also unable to get the profiles to work with CO Pro 10. They show in the Dropdown list, but when I select any of them, the selection reverts to "ICC" and the image becomes greyscale. They are however still working perfectly with CO Pro 9. 

Anyone has any clue what I should do? I've reinstalled CO Pro 10, reinstalled the ICC profiles, but the problem persists. 

x

Registration is free

Not registered? Really?

Discover the full potential of the Fuji X Forum... register now!
Registration is free and done in a few minutes!

As registered member you can discuss, post your questions and present your images.
And get in contact with Fuji X photographers worldwide!

We are looking forward to you!

The Fuji X Forum Team

Register Close