• Please log in to reply
77 replies to this topic

#21 fleckintosh

fleckintosh

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 24 August 2016 - 07:11 PM

Advertisement (Gone after free registration)

First: Thank you very much! Very nice job!
And best of all – it works better now ...

I have this issue every time after I restart CO9 on my old Mac Pro ... but the the time CO freezes is now about 20 to 30 seconds ... with the old Profiles it could take up to 5 minutes ... so I didn’t use them often ...

+1

You just have to wait in the beginning. After 2 o 3 attempts it will work fluent.

• karin.gottschalk likes this

#22 tombracht

tombracht

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 24 August 2016 - 08:47 PM

Hi there,

Thanks a lot for this update! 

What exactly is the colour space of these profiles? The Dropbox folder is named ARGB so I assume these are in Adobe RGB. The Monochrome profiles however are labelled sRGB so I assume that's their colour space. Can you advise please?

Many thanks,

Tom

Hi again,

My question might have been missed so I'm quoting it here again. What colourSpace should one use for the output profile? The original profiles were available both for Adobe RGB and sRGB. These new ones seem to be all Adobe RGB except for the monochrome ones. Is that correct?

Thanks

#23 fleckintosh

fleckintosh

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 25 August 2016 - 07:40 AM

Hi again,

My question might have been missed so I'm quoting it here again. What colourSpace should one use for the output profile? The original profiles were available both for Adobe RGB and sRGB. These new ones seem to be all Adobe RGB except for the monochrome ones. Is that correct?

Thanks

Yes, you got it!

#24 magnesi

magnesi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 67 posts
  • LocationLondon

Posted 25 August 2016 - 09:57 AM

Yes, you got it!

Would it be a pain to make them available in sRGB? I ask as this is the colour space I usually use.

Thanks again to you and Scottie

#25 fleckintosh

fleckintosh

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 25 August 2016 - 10:23 AM

Would it be a pain to make them available in sRGB? I ask as this is the colour space I usually use.

Thanks again to you and Scottie

Due to ARGB is the better color space, sRGB is not recommended. But you can export them with C1 settings to sRGB. This should work.

#26 tombracht

tombracht

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 26 August 2016 - 12:25 PM

Could you explain why the icc profile has a colourSpace at all please? If you're working on RAW files, I thought the resulting output colourSpace is assigned later in the rendering pipeline i.e. via soft proofing before displaying on your screen and when setting your colourSpace in the process recipe.

I thought an icc-profile assigned in the Base Characteristics tab  processes the RAW data independent from a colourSpace.

Thanks

Tom

#27 magnesi

magnesi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 67 posts
  • LocationLondon

Posted 26 August 2016 - 04:25 PM

Could you explain why the icc profile has a colourSpace at all please? If you're working on RAW files, I thought the resulting output colourSpace is assigned later in the rendering pipeline i.e. via soft proofing before displaying on your screen and when setting your colourSpace in the process recipe.
I thought an icc-profile assigned in the Base Characteristics tab processes the RAW data independent from a colourSpace.

Thanks
Tom

Yes I must admit I'm confused about this as well.

#28 Andy F

Andy F

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 26 August 2016 - 05:09 PM

Could you explain why the icc profile has a colourSpace at all please? If you’re working on RAW files, I thought the resulting output colourSpace is assigned later in the rendering pipeline i.e. via soft proofing before displaying on your screen and when setting your colourSpace in the process recipe.

I thought an icc-profile assigned in the Base Characteristics tab  processes the RAW data independent from a colourSpace.

Thanks

Tom

Possibly related to how you set the camera for JPEGs – the colours in JPEGs are different depending on whether you’ve got the camera set to sRGB or Adobe RGB.

As for the profiles, oh man they’re exactly what I’ve been looking for. I use them (primarily Acros (even though it's for XPro2) and Astia) with my XE1 and they’re just lovely. They don’t match the JPEGs *perfectly* but imo I think they’re an improvement (reds don’t go a weird pink colour any more), and of course you get all the extra control over the tone curve, sharpening etc. from using raw.

Really good job!

Edited by Andy F, 26 August 2016 - 05:16 PM.

#29 SKHUES

SKHUES

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 28 August 2016 - 01:26 PM

This just made my day. I didn't know there were other Fujifilm/Capture One users out there. Ha! Thanks Fleckintosh for sharing these and thanks Ario for the power tip on saving the ICC profiles. These profiles work flawlessly and look great.

#30 hifimacianer

hifimacianer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 29 August 2016 - 02:36 PM

I just tested the new profiles last Weekend. They are indeed better than the older versions.

Thanks for that, this is a big step forward for C1 users using Fuji.

Unfortunately I have to say, that they still can't compete with the original jpeg simulations out of camera.

I did a 1:1 comparison with each jpeg simulation, and I observed shadow/highlight handling and also the colors are off in direct comparison.

Especially in a tested Astia simulation, the highlights in the face were blown in comparison, and also the greens of the grass and bushes in the Background have another tonality.

I also tested the included film simulations in the LR trial, and the results were much more consistent there.

I often couldn't tell the difference between the jpeg and the raw simulation in LR.

#31 hifimacianer

hifimacianer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 29 August 2016 - 08:27 PM

Here are 2 examples where you can see the differences in the Astia simulation.

Look at the differences at the face and the different green tones and shadow/highlight handling.

Attached Files

#32 VeEuzUKY

VeEuzUKY

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 04 September 2016 - 08:45 AM

fleckintosh, this is KILLER!!!.Thank you indeed VERY much for this share :)

I have 2 fundamental issues that have been eating my brain for years. Maybe I could get some advise to clear my mind of my stupidity..

1) Regarding Color Profiles themselves (tech talk) I have NEVER for the life of me understood the whole thing. Aside from changing perceptually how the images are displayed  on my monitor, I cant ever understand how they affect the final results or have anything to do with color accuracy. I have always used sRGB, always. Everything else gives me one color in Photoshop, then a different color in another app, then a different color on my display. In fact I dont even understand how these color profiles are stacked.. there is one embedded in the original photo, then the image editor might use another.. but later my computer/VGA card and display, all have their own profiles to shoot the image on my screen and they all affect each other. I finally never really know what I am looking at and that is why I found thru the years that the only thing that gives me the least mount of headaches is using good old "lame" sRGB:) And even , to this day, no matter I match all profiles, calibrate my display (and the one's of others) etc, etc, etc, when I look at ANY edited photo, on my Mac laptop, on my PC desktop, on my Android Tab, on an iPad, on my TV, on anyone else's device, EVERY SINGLE SAME IMAGE will look totally different! Colors, shades, highlights,m gradation.. its the endless frustration from hell. Should I g back and re-edit my image?..maybe I screwed-up.. naaahhhhhh. it will look again ok in one device and bad in another. And lets not EVEN talk about getting an image printed, because then its the same circus a million times worse over again messing with more display and printing profiles and trying to get ANY color, to even remotely look like its displayed on my screen. So I have literally given up on the color profiles thing or am yet to understand them at all.

2) Maybe even more of a stupid or basic issue, but, I really cant understand the underlying differences between (again) CaptureOne's ICC profiles and DSLR profiles, and most importantly CaptureOne's own "Styles". In one way or another, with all of these we can achieve roughly the same, which is tones and parameters variations. I just dont understand the key differences, AND I gotta say that CO's native workflow of Styles works immensely better and is radically faster than switching between ICC profiles. Is there actually a way to convert them or make equivalent settings from profiles into Styles?

Anyway, thanks a lot for these amazing updated profiles and me gaining some (badly needed knowledge) on my ignorance regarding these matters:)

#33 ehwojo

ehwojo

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 05 September 2016 - 12:35 AM

Hello...just downloaded your new profiles.  The work is awesome.  I feel I can go back to RAW only shooting and keep the benefits of Capture One and Fujifilm colors.  Great work.  Thanks.

#34 markw

markw

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 05 September 2016 - 11:46 AM

Thank you for the profiles. 

I moved to CaptureOne about a year ago after figuring out I like the editing workflow and final output better than other options. 

I found your first set of profiles to be the missing key to getting the color I was looking for.  It saved me a huge amount of time.

This second round is just brilliant. 

Thank you for sharing with the community.

Sincerely,

Mark

• magnesi likes this

#35 Bodog

Bodog

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 06 September 2016 - 05:40 AM

They also work in Windows, if any Windows users are interested. Thank you fleckintosh!

Sent from my YOGA Tablet 2-1050F using Tapatalk

#36 fujiqvist

fujiqvist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 20 September 2016 - 08:38 PM

Yes, huge thanks Fleckintosh!

I too have tried the profiles on my X-E2 and they work great!

But I just bought an X-T2 so I'm wondering, will they (X-Pro2 versions) work on X-T2 as well?

I would imagine so since the sensor is the same, but I'm not sure...

#37 WalterH

WalterH

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 20 September 2016 - 09:51 PM

Thanks for these - really, immensely.

Not to sound ungrateful... Some of us now have our XT-2's and with C1's 9.3 now available, will you be adjusting these profiles to be used in conjunction with my XT-2 RAF's? 

Hope so. They are the only first-tier profiles I use. Essential to me. They work wonders. Thanks.

#38 Immanuel

Immanuel

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 21 September 2016 - 10:33 AM

fleckintosh, this is KILLER!!!.Thank you indeed VERY much for this share :)

I have 2 fundamental issues that have been eating my brain for years. Maybe I could get some advise to clear my mind of my stupidity..

1) Regarding Color Profiles themselves (tech talk) I have NEVER for the life of me understood the whole thing. Aside from changing perceptually how the images are displayed  on my monitor, I cant ever understand how they affect the final results or have anything to do with color accuracy. I have always used sRGB, always. Everything else gives me one color in Photoshop, then a different color in another app, then a different color on my display. In fact I dont even understand how these color profiles are stacked.. there is one embedded in the original photo, then the image editor might use another.. but later my computer/VGA card and display, all have their own profiles to shoot the image on my screen and they all affect each other. I finally never really know what I am looking at and that is why I found thru the years that the only thing that gives me the least mount of headaches is using good old "lame" sRGB:) And even , to this day, no matter I match all profiles, calibrate my display (and the one's of others) etc, etc, etc, when I look at ANY edited photo, on my Mac laptop, on my PC desktop, on my Android Tab, on an iPad, on my TV, on anyone else's device, EVERY SINGLE SAME IMAGE will look totally different! Colors, shades, highlights,m gradation.. its the endless frustration from hell. Should I g back and re-edit my image?..maybe I screwed-up.. naaahhhhhh. it will look again ok in one device and bad in another. And lets not EVEN talk about getting an image printed, because then its the same circus a million times worse over again messing with more display and printing profiles and trying to get ANY color, to even remotely look like its displayed on my screen. So I have literally given up on the color profiles thing or am yet to understand them at all.

2) Maybe even more of a stupid or basic issue, but, I really cant understand the underlying differences between (again) CaptureOne's ICC profiles and DSLR profiles, and most importantly CaptureOne's own "Styles". In one way or another, with all of these we can achieve roughly the same, which is tones and parameters variations. I just dont understand the key differences, AND I gotta say that CO's native workflow of Styles works immensely better and is radically faster than switching between ICC profiles. Is there actually a way to convert them or make equivalent settings from profiles into Styles?

Anyway, thanks a lot for these amazing updated profiles and me gaining some (badly needed knowledge) on my ignorance regarding these matters:)

SRGB is 8 bit (per colour channel = 24 bit all in all). The same goes for ARGB. There is a bigger spread between the bits with ARGB (the range is wider), but the resolution is not higher. This is often misunderstood because "extended range" sounds better. Here, you can read a bit about it: https://fstoppers.co...gb-vs-srgb-3167

The author says you can not go from SRGB to ARGB. If you shoot RAW, that is not an issue, as RAW is neither SRGB not ARGB.

#39 plaidshirts

plaidshirts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 61 posts
  • LocationSeattle, Washington

Posted 23 September 2016 - 03:30 PM

Thank you for this! Much appreciated. As a previous member commented, it works well in Windows 10.

#40 sc_john

sc_john

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 23 September 2016 - 03:34 PM

I want to add my thanks and appreciation to what has already been expressed. These really look great in C1v9.3.

John

x

Registration is free

Not registered? Really?

Discover the full potential of the Fuji X Forum... register now!
Registration is free and done in a few minutes!

As registered member you can discuss, post your questions and present your images.
And get in contact with Fuji X photographers worldwide!

We are looking forward to you!

The Fuji X Forum Team

Register Close