The Guilty Pleasures of Buying a New lens

frankinfuji

One of the great joys of owning an interchangeable lens camera is that we can completely change our user experience by buying a new lens.

We still have the same familiar body, we know how to use her dials and buttons to get the effects we desire, but suddenly she feels excitingly different.  Her balance is different, she may become giddily light and almost pocket-able, or she may take on a serious, heavy demeanor; depending on which new lens we have just slid onto her body.

And it's like being given new super-powers.

Suddenly we can see across huge distances, or see into the microscopic world of insects to resolve the finest detail.  Or we can be given the power over depth of field and the ability to see in almost total darkness.

Our view of the world around us has changed.

And because memories are now digital - our history will look different from now onwards.

I recently added the XF 55-200 to my collection of carefully selected lenses (27mm f2.8, 35mm f1.4, 18-55 zoom).  The I went back to my favorite photo haunt, a simple park near my home - and everything looked different.

Edited by frankinfuji

Some early shots with my new 55-200

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

How you liking the 55-200? 

I'm impressed with it.  I've also used the XC 50-230 a little, but although it was good, it didn't have that extra 'Fuji magic' - and to be honest - the 35mm f1.4 was nearly always glued to my camera - as I just liked the 'look' it produced.   But sometimes you just can't 'zoom with your feet' - so I bought the 55-200 in the hopes it would give me more reach whilst also preserving some of the qualities of the 35mm.

It didn't disappoint.  The wider aperture and higher quality optics just gives it that little extra edge that makes me want to use it.  I still prefer the 35mm (and the 27mm) primes when I don't need the longer focal length - but I'm very pleased with the 55-200 and use it about 50% of the time now.  For some reason I almost never use the 18-55 - although it's just as good as the 55-200 - not sure why? 

Ah yes, the next one... 

I purchased the 16-55 f2.8 with my X-E2 and it's an excellent all-rounder. 

Then I added the 55-200 before going on vacation and it gave great opportunities to shoot nice animal pictures.

Now I am selling my X100s (AF too slow, no wifi, although great image quality) and I am trying to figure out which compact prime to buy in exchange... 

Maybe the 35mm f2 and/or the 18mm f2.8?

35mm is a bit tight, but at least it allows some portraits without being too close (and invasive).

Buying additional lenses is certainly a pleasure - especially lenses as outstanding as the Fuji-X lenses.

I just purchased my first Fuji-X body at the beginning of July (X-E2S) and became enamored with the whole system when I experienced the ease of operation and the Fuji image quality.   

So far, I have purchased the 18mm,  18-55, 55-200, 10-24 and 56 f1.2.    Each lens clearly provides a different view of the world.   I am so happy with the results that I have ordered an X-T2.

Needless to say, I am enjoying every minute of the Fuji-X experience.

• 1 month later...