Leaked: XF23mmF2

Patrick FR

Predictably this ( and the 50 will probably follow suit) fits in the range of lenses especially created to fit the X-Pro-2 and not mess around with the optical viewfinder, blocking its image.

If anyone believed that it was possible to have an aperture dial, being f2, have a fast autofocus and being weather resistant AND being smaller than what it is then one entertains thoughts against the requirements of physics, or perhaps it could be achieved only if a part of the lens would disappear in dimension X ( to stay faithful to the X cameras).

Ok than, It's still smaller, lighter, cheaper, WR, has shared hood (35), probably got 9 blades, has newer motor,... So for those (me) who haven't got 23f1.4 it could be the choice. One stop of light gathering? Well, habituated to sleep at night, so don't shoot most of the really-low-light time. ;)  

Edited by mdm

Looks like it fits the same hood as the 35, which is good

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Well, the hood on the photograph is the one for the 35mm. Presumably Fuji will either dual use this hood, or release a similar one for the 23/2 nearer the time of the launch of the 23/2.

But that is without the lens hood, right?

The 18mm and 13mm primes do not obscure the frame at all without a lens hood, and only a small corner with the hood attached.

Indeed, although I haven't investigated vented hoods as it doesn't bother me at all. The 23mm f/1.4 doesn't handle glare particularly well; but on the other hand the 35mm f/2 doesn't handle straight lines particularly well and needs to be digitally corrected. It just seems like such a minor reason to pick a lens to me given how simple it is to switch to EVF. If you're concerned about the bottom right corner detail, wouldn't it make sense to go with the lens that actually has better corner sharpness? It's not like the actual OVF frame lines are that accurate anyway..

Here's the 35mm f/1.4 btw, again without the hood.

YoDRNC1.jpg

Yes, I have the 35mm F/1.4 indeed. And I hope that the 23mm F/2 does not cover more viewfinder area.

If I had wanted to use the EVF, with its limitations, I could just as well have used a X-E1. I think the OVF is brilliant, because it gives a view of the real world, and because it allows you to see beyond the frame. That it's not 100% accurate is a price I'm happy to pay for that.

• 2 weeks later...

As I already said on the German "sister forum"; I had hoped that it would not be (much) larger than the 18mm F2, but it looks like I'm going to be disappointed ... I'll have a look when it's really available in the shops.

Fuji made it as small, compact and short as they possibly could given all the requirements they had for the lens. Some of the requirements functional responses conflicted with one another and it's a matter of  how to make the optical, size and engineering tradeoffs to get the best of all possible outcomes/designs GIVEN THE REQUIREMENTS. As they had Voice of Customer and competitive benchmarking data for prioritizing the requirements, it's as small and compact as they could have made it. If it was shorter or smaller than it is now, whatever, it would have compromised functionality or quality attributes they or customers were not willing to give up on. As always, each customer has to decide for themselves if it represents a value proposition. I'm confident it will be as successful at the 35/2. 

Edited by Puma Cat

Kinda expensive. Only about 130 bucks less than the 1.4.

But I guess this is for people how wants a more portable and WR and probably faster AF. Maybe those benefits are enough for fuji to have a price not far from the original 23.

Edited by Hermelin

Kinda expensive. Only about 130 bucks less than the 1.4.

But I guess this is for people how wants a more portable and WR and probably faster AF. Maybe those benefits are enough for fuji to have a price not far from the original 23.

If you compare the original price of the 1.4, the difference is way bigger than 130$.