Travel tripod

jonas

I have to mention the Tyka travel tripod. Find it on Amazon and read the reviews. This really is remarkable value at around £50 and I bought mine after comparing weights of half a dozen carbon fibre and alloy tripods. A perfect, 1.5kg including ball-head, complement to XT1 or XT2 etc. Note many tripod specs exclude the weight of the head, check this carefully to get a real ides of weight

Il mio treppiede, manfrotto 190 è troppo pesante, così ho comprato questo murace m-t1

https://www.amazon.it/Marsace-mt-01-robusto-tavolo-desktop-treppiede/dp/B01N55W7P8/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1521566156&sr=1-1&keywords=marsace+mt-01

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Wow it's a minefield isn't it? I really can't add anything other than to agree that the main benefit of carbon fibre is said to be vibration damping. A tripod forms a torsion spring (try twisting the head of extended tripods, it's a good way to compare their stability) attached to a mass - the camera. As such it will ring at its resonant frequency when something disturbs it. A lossy material like wood or carbon fibre will damp the oscillations better. Having said that everyone got on just fine with aluminium before carbon fibre came along. So I think it's probably a bit academic and the carbon pods are not usually much lighter than the aluminium ones.

I own a Mafrotto BeFree for almost a year and I have nothing to complain about. I bought it because I already have heavier tripods and monopod from the same brand, so I could match the plate. Despite it seem not that strong at first, is quite stable and I have been able to shoot quite a few night pictures with no problem. I got the aluminium one because when folded down is shorter that the carbon fiber one and looking online I could find quite good deals for colors different form black. I got a red one for about £100. Easy to set up in a rush.

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I've got a Manfrotto BeFree, the aluminium one, because is shorter than the carbon fiber one, hence is less of a pain to carry around. It fits in the side pocket of my camera bag and is quick to set up. I've got it for about a couple of years and my main use is long exposures. Is quite stable and I am using it now as main tripod. Bringing it up and down airplanes as carry on luggage and never had an issue with it.
Used on a beach for few weeks. Once back home, I took it apart and deeply cleaned and it came back as new.
Highly recommended.
You can see an example of my long exposures here: