Travel tripod

jonas

I'm looking for a new travel tripod for my X-T1.

I've been looking at Manfrotto BeeFree Carbon,Manfrotto 190GO Carbon, Sirui T-2205X+G-20X and the Benro Travel Angel FTA18CV0.

I do not which one of these are the best. I have a Manfrotto tripod now, but its too heavy. 

I would like carbon due to more stability when I take long exposure seascape photos, but I do not know how much greater the carbon tripods are for this when they are as short as my selection is.

I need a new tripod for long hikes, airplane travels etc...

I have a Gitzo GT1541. It's the smallest I'd consider, for portraits 1,5 meter fully extended is the minimum I think.

Obviously, any similar carbon fiber tripod at a lower budget will be fine, I like Manfrotto stuff and I useda Sirui once that was nice too.

If budget isn't an issue, I'd recommend the Gitzo GT1541T. It's possibly the smallest, lightest and sturdiest travel tripod. It fits into a 19" bag with room to spare. Match that with an Acratech GP Ballhead with gimbal feature and you're set. I carry this up hills and the weight isn't toooo bad. :mellow:

Otherwise, Manfrotto's BeFree is a good bet. Not as sturdy as the Gitzo but still good for the money.

I have the Sirui in aluminum and really like it.  I use it a great deal more than my Manfrotto simply because it IS SO MUCH easier to carry.  But it has its limitations.  For carrying around it can't be beat, I love it.  Even the aluminum version is a good carry around tripod.  The limitation comes to stability,  I find it is very good for my close up flower shots where I am not too far off the ground.  The tripod is quite stable at the lower heights and I am at lower heights most of the time.  At full height the tripod is too light to be solid stable and thus in windy conditions can succumb to vibration.  I find hanging my camera bag from the center pin alleviates that issue, but in those scenarios I do prefer my heavy Manfrotto.

I have taken a hard look at the Manfrotto BeFree tripod.  It also looks very good, but I have not used one so cannot comment on it.  If it were more stable I could switch, but the problem is weight.  Weight is required for stability so.....   Maybe someone else can chime in on that one.

I find that both the Sirui T-2205X and the BeFree are more of less similar in rigidity and stability. The Sirui feels more solid due to it's heavier weight and shorter stature compared to BeFree. The only real difference apart from the height and weight is actually in practical use. While I love the function of Befree, I find that the way the legs are deployed is a bit cumbersome, especially in tighter spots. The Sirui is much quicker in this respect as it's twist lock.

If budget isn't an issue, I'd recommend the Gitzo GT1541T. It's possibly the smallest, lightest and sturdiest travel tripod. It fits into a 19" bag with room to spare. Match that with an Acratech GP Ballhead with gimbal feature and you're set. I carry this up hills and the weight isn't toooo bad. :mellow:

Otherwise, Manfrotto's BeFree is a good bet. Not as sturdy as the Gitzo but still good for the money.

Unfortunately, budget is an issue. My understanding is that Gitzo is THE ONE, but that comes at a price. I didn't like the BeeFree head neither the leg locking system. What set it apart is the weight, almost 50% lighter than anything else out there.

Carbon fiber is not really all that much lighter than aluminum but it absorbs vibrations better (wood does that too but it is heavier).

In practice, for most users and situations, the difference is price is huge while the gain in performance is very small. 

This is my thought as well, is the carbon versions truly worth it? I reason with myself that since I hike a lot, weight actually is a good reason to go for a carbon version.

I find that both the Sirui T-2205X and the BeFree are more of less similar in rigidity and stability. The Sirui feels more solid due to it's heavier weight and shorter stature compared to BeFree. The only real difference apart from the height and weight is actually in practical use. While I love the function of Befree, I find that the way the legs are deployed is a bit cumbersome, especially in tighter spots. The Sirui is much quicker in this respect as it's twist lock.

I'm so lucky that I now barrow a Sirui N-2205X, which is a little heavier and bigger than the T-2205X, but if the build quality is identical then I think I'll opt for the Sirui tripod. 

The BeeFree is scary small, it's so small that I don't understand how it could practically work as an all-round hiking tripod :P 

The smallest breeze should tip it over, and without any hooks on the center column theres no way to anchor it more either.

I will test the Sirui N-2205X during this weekend. It's a little heavier than I would prefer (approx. 1.7kg), but its very compact in its case.

The BeFree is actually quite stable under most conditions. Mounting a full frame gear on it is about it's limits.

For added stability I hand a small bag under it's center column with a simple loop knot. I use it on bicycle treks and so far hasn't been blown off or washed away by the waves. :lol:

Has anyone tried this? Doesn't look to be the most stable, but looks small, light and cheap.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by plaidshirts

• 2 weeks later...

If that is still of any relevance, I can vouch for the Benro Travel Angel.

They are rather expensive but it can be folded into 50ish cm and less than 2kg. It uses the same carbon structure that Gitzo uses, which are cross meshed carbon so technically they are about as sturdy.

A good thing that Benro does, you can buy every single piece from them if you are missing any.

Hi,

i've change my Manfrotto Befree for the small Rollei Compact traveller no.1 carbon. I'm very happy with it. Very small and lightweight (33cm and less than 1kg). height is 142cm max. I use it with x-T1 and 16-55 oor 50-140. In case of wind, there is a hook to attach your camera bag.

http://fr.rollei.com/produits/tr-pieds/tr-pied-de-voyage-t-tes-de-tr-pied/rollei-compact-traveler-no-1-carbon-noir,p312919

• 5 weeks later...

Love the Gitzo GT0531 Series 0 6X Carbon Fiber 3-Section Tripod. Used out on two three-week trips, always on the body, great combination of stability and portability for me.

Paired with the Benro IN00 ballhead. Heaviest load tried - X-T1 with 90mm.

Edited by Vlad

• 1 year later...

I just bought a MeFoto Backpacker Air. I’m very impressed. I wanted a travel tripod that I could actually travel with - i.e. have in my bag and carry around all day without really noticing it. I’d looked at the Manfrotto BeFree - great tripod but too big and heavy for what I need. Then I saw the backpacker air - it folds down to just 10.4 inches and weighs just 2lb.

https://mountaintripper.com/mefoto-backpacker-air-tripod-review/

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• 4 months later...