• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 jonas

jonas

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 31 July 2016 - 09:12 PM

Advertisement (Gone after free registration)

I'm looking for a new travel tripod for my X-T1.

I've been looking at Manfrotto BeeFree Carbon,Manfrotto 190GO Carbon, Sirui T-2205X+G-20X and the Benro Travel Angel FTA18CV0.

I do not which one of these are the best. I have a Manfrotto tripod now, but its too heavy. 

I would like carbon due to more stability when I take long exposure seascape photos, but I do not know how much greater the carbon tripods are for this when they are as short as my selection is.

I need a new tripod for long hikes, airplane travels etc...

#2 Warwick

Warwick

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 335 posts

Posted 31 July 2016 - 09:17 PM

Carbon is good because it's light to carry. For stability, material doesn't make anywhere as much difference as the weight you add by hanging your bag on the tripod

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

#3 erwiurewurwehu

erwiurewurwehu

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 158 posts

Posted 31 July 2016 - 09:22 PM

I have the Sirui with an Acratech head. together they are not cheap but very good.

#4 Tom H.

Tom H.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 651 posts
  • LocationBelgium

Posted 01 August 2016 - 08:09 AM

I have a Gitzo GT1541. It's the smallest I'd consider, for portraits 1,5 meter fully extended is the minimum I think.

Obviously, any similar carbon fiber tripod at a lower budget will be fine, I like Manfrotto stuff and I useda Sirui once that was nice too.

#5 milandro

milandro

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,798 posts

Posted 01 August 2016 - 08:13 AM

Carbon fiber is not really all that much lighter than aluminum but it absorbs vibrations better (wood does that too but it is heavier).

In practice, for most users and situations, the difference is price is huge while the gain in performance is very small. 

the popular expression wishful thinking is an oxymoron!

To all TAPATALK users

As a form of courtesy towards your fellow users of this forum, PLEASE remove the obnoxious tapatalk signature, it adds nothing to anyone’s contribution and it is only a sneaky way used by tapatalk to push their product by polluting each forum participant with promoting their products with unpaid advertising for their software and the brand of your phone. Removing it is easy and it is an act of courtesy that shows respect for all those whom are annoyed by this pointless feature. This is not a personal attack to you, the annoyance is caused by tapatalk and the phone or tablet brands, they are getting all the exposure and you gain nothing by this.

#6 Aswald

Aswald

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,042 posts

Posted 01 August 2016 - 09:22 AM

If budget isn't an issue, I'd recommend the Gitzo GT1541T. It's possibly the smallest, lightest and sturdiest travel tripod. It fits into a 19" bag with room to spare. Match that with an Acratech GP Ballhead with gimbal feature and you're set. I carry this up hills and the weight isn't toooo bad. :mellow:

Otherwise, Manfrotto's BeFree is a good bet. Not as sturdy as the Gitzo but still good for the money.

#7 Lumens

Lumens

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 94 posts

Posted 01 August 2016 - 01:57 PM

I have the Sirui in aluminum and really like it.  I use it a great deal more than my Manfrotto simply because it IS SO MUCH easier to carry.  But it has its limitations.  For carrying around it can't be beat, I love it.  Even the aluminum version is a good carry around tripod.  The limitation comes to stability,  I find it is very good for my close up flower shots where I am not too far off the ground.  The tripod is quite stable at the lower heights and I am at lower heights most of the time.  At full height the tripod is too light to be solid stable and thus in windy conditions can succumb to vibration.  I find hanging my camera bag from the center pin alleviates that issue, but in those scenarios I do prefer my heavy Manfrotto.

I have taken a hard look at the Manfrotto BeFree tripod.  It also looks very good, but I have not used one so cannot comment on it.  If it were more stable I could switch, but the problem is weight.  Weight is required for stability so.....   Maybe someone else can chime in on that one.

#8 Aswald

Aswald

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,042 posts

Posted 02 August 2016 - 04:31 AM

I find that both the Sirui T-2205X and the BeFree are more of less similar in rigidity and stability. The Sirui feels more solid due to it's heavier weight and shorter stature compared to BeFree. The only real difference apart from the height and weight is actually in practical use. While I love the function of Befree, I find that the way the legs are deployed is a bit cumbersome, especially in tighter spots. The Sirui is much quicker in this respect as it's twist lock.

#9 jonas

jonas

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 04 August 2016 - 10:54 AM

If budget isn't an issue, I'd recommend the Gitzo GT1541T. It's possibly the smallest, lightest and sturdiest travel tripod. It fits into a 19" bag with room to spare. Match that with an Acratech GP Ballhead with gimbal feature and you're set. I carry this up hills and the weight isn't toooo bad. :mellow:

Otherwise, Manfrotto's BeFree is a good bet. Not as sturdy as the Gitzo but still good for the money.

Unfortunately, budget is an issue. My understanding is that Gitzo is THE ONE, but that comes at a price. I didn't like the BeeFree head neither the leg locking system. What set it apart is the weight, almost 50% lighter than anything else out there.

Carbon fiber is not really all that much lighter than aluminum but it absorbs vibrations better (wood does that too but it is heavier).

In practice, for most users and situations, the difference is price is huge while the gain in performance is very small. 

This is my thought as well, is the carbon versions truly worth it? I reason with myself that since I hike a lot, weight actually is a good reason to go for a carbon version.

I find that both the Sirui T-2205X and the BeFree are more of less similar in rigidity and stability. The Sirui feels more solid due to it's heavier weight and shorter stature compared to BeFree. The only real difference apart from the height and weight is actually in practical use. While I love the function of Befree, I find that the way the legs are deployed is a bit cumbersome, especially in tighter spots. The Sirui is much quicker in this respect as it's twist lock.

I'm so lucky that I now barrow a Sirui N-2205X, which is a little heavier and bigger than the T-2205X, but if the build quality is identical then I think I'll opt for the Sirui tripod. 

The BeeFree is scary small, it's so small that I don't understand how it could practically work as an all-round hiking tripod :P 

The smallest breeze should tip it over, and without any hooks on the center column theres no way to anchor it more either.

I will test the Sirui N-2205X during this weekend. It's a little heavier than I would prefer (approx. 1.7kg), but its very compact in its case.

#10 Aswald

Aswald

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,042 posts

Posted 04 August 2016 - 11:36 AM

The BeFree is actually quite stable under most conditions. Mounting a full frame gear on it is about it's limits.

For added stability I hand a small bag under it's center column with a simple loop knot. I use it on bicycle treks and so far hasn't been blown off or washed away by the waves. :lol:

#11 plaidshirts

plaidshirts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 66 posts
  • LocationSeattle, Washington

Posted 08 August 2016 - 04:41 PM

Has anyone tried this? Doesn't look to be the most stable, but looks small, light and cheap.

Attached Files

Edited by plaidshirts, 08 August 2016 - 04:45 PM.

#12 Morgo

Morgo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 50 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 19 August 2016 - 09:27 AM

I picked up a Gitzo 1545T recently but was also impressed by the Sirui specs for the $ so I vote Sirui

#13 darknj

darknj

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 765 posts
  • LocationBelgium

Posted 25 August 2016 - 02:25 PM

If that is still of any relevance, I can vouch for the Benro Travel Angel.

They are rather expensive but it can be folded into 50ish cm and less than 2kg. It uses the same carbon structure that Gitzo uses, which are cross meshed carbon so technically they are about as sturdy.

A good thing that Benro does, you can buy every single piece from them if you are missing any.

#14 Patrick FR

Patrick FR

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 897 posts
  • LocationTOP SECRET

Posted 25 August 2016 - 11:46 PM

There is an interesting article about travel tripods at BHPhoto: http://www.bhphotovi...id/10779/sid/fr

• Aswald likes this

#15 Aswald

Aswald

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,042 posts

Posted 26 August 2016 - 03:49 AM

Nice article Patrick. Thanks.

I had the Slik Sprint Mini ii and loved it.

#16 geostone

geostone

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • LocationLake Frederick, Virginia

Posted 28 August 2016 - 01:54 AM

Thanks for the article link, Patrick! I'm in need of a good travel tripod for that X-T2 when it arrives!

George Stone

Lake Frederick, VA USA

#17 Pierre

Pierre

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 77 posts
  • LocationTassin la Demi-Lune (France)

Posted 28 August 2016 - 08:47 AM

Hi,

i've change my Manfrotto Befree for the small Rollei Compact traveller no.1 carbon. I'm very happy with it. Very small and lightweight (33cm and less than 1kg). height is 142cm max. I use it with x-T1 and 16-55 oor 50-140. In case of wind, there is a hook to attach your camera bag.

http://fr.rollei.com...on-noir,p312919

Fuji X-T2 + 16-55 f2.8 + Ricoh GR II

#18 Aswald

Aswald

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,042 posts

Posted 29 August 2016 - 03:50 AM

The rollei looks good.

#19 Michael McKee

Michael McKee

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 27 September 2016 - 11:11 PM

They are all good tripods. There's a good comparison at https://www.dpreview...r-kits-reviewed also. One consideration is that Manfroto tripods don't use an Arca compatible plate and you might want the new tripod to use the same head.

#20 Vlad

Vlad

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • LocationIllinois, USA

Posted 28 September 2016 - 09:54 PM

Love the Gitzo GT0531 Series 0 6X Carbon Fiber 3-Section Tripod. Used out on two three-week trips, always on the body, great combination of stability and portability for me.

Paired with the Benro IN00 ballhead. Heaviest load tried - X-T1 with 90mm.

Edited by Vlad, 28 September 2016 - 09:57 PM.

• Vlad likes this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: tripod, travel

x

Registration is free

Not registered? Really?

Discover the full potential of the Fuji X Forum... register now!
Registration is free and done in a few minutes!

As registered member you can discuss, post your questions and present your images.
And get in contact with Fuji X photographers worldwide!

We are looking forward to you!

The Fuji X Forum Team

Register Close