Samyang/Rokinon 300mm f6.3 mirror lens

dv.

Thanks for posting these shots.  They provide a much better understanding of the strengths and weaknesses of this lens for those of us who may be tempted to purchase this very affordable compact lens.

It is a very compact lens. I would say the size is about a XF18-55mm :)

This 300mm is not the sharpest lens, but with post-processing (sharpen, high pass filter from Photoshop) you can get pretty descent result :) keep in mind that you do need higher shutter speed to prevent camera shakes when hand held :)

Edited by dv.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Some great pictures but ...

I have occasionally toyed with getting this lens for the fun of it. But having actualy seen the mirror lens bokeh again I decided I will just stick with my Fuji 100-400mm.  I rememember the doughnuts when they were fashionable (1970s) but had forgotten how intrusive they are and how quickly enthusiasm would disappear. Thanks, you have saved me an expensive experiment!

It is a tripod-lens (as long and slow as it is) and an interesting close-up lens. Near field and far field bokeh can be interesting but midfield is truly LOOPY.

I sold it because I don't do much tripod work and I can't handhold it.

Ttranquility

Art Lesson by a meek flower

DSCF6182 CoolBokeh resize

Edited by asathor

It really isn't hard to hand shoot the lens... and often I feel that people saying it isn't sharp are really talking about that they manually focused a little off. But the trade off of compactness, light weight, and overall portability is the reason to use the lens; the 100-400mm is anything but.

I find it extremely silly though, that you all are doing little more than bandwagoning "eww, donuts" when some of these shots do well at minimizing those donuts and focusing on the subject. Others... well.... yeah, you really need space between your subject and the background; but not all of them are bad, and many are rather nice.

Remember, the number one rule in photography is that it is not the lens you wish you had on you, but the lens you have, that you work with. If you want to lug the 100-400mm around and are fine with that, then that is your style of photography and nothing is wrong with it. But if you generally handshoot and enjoy keeping a light pack of smallish lenses... that's the market here.

No one lens is perfect, but the 300mm reflex lens does have its own niche.

• 2 weeks later...