Hi guys, I recently switched from the X-T10 to a X-E2s, because I realized that i prefer the rangefinder-style body.

For my private work, I only shot JPEG with the X-T10 with great results.

Now, with the X-E2s, the JPEGs still look good, but not as great. Then I noticed that the file size of the JPEGs SOOC from the X-E2s are nearly half the size of the JPEGs from the X-T10. JPEGs from the X-T10 were usually about 10-11mb each, files from the X-E2s are about 3-6mb each... I set up the camera exactly the same way (Fine Quality), so how is this possible?

I was already disappointed about the build-quality compared to the X-T10, but the lower JPEG quality is really disappointing. For the record: there's no problem with the RAW files.

Is there anything I can do about that? Why doesn't Fuji use the same JPEG conversion in all of their X-Trans II cameras? There was no way for me to know this before switching to the X-E2s.

Thanks for any suggestions and sorry for my bad englisch, no native speaker here.

Yes I just got my X-E2 and I noticed immediately that the JPEGs are only 72 DPI instead of 300, which makes the JPEGs pretty much useless except for sharing on social media. I've been a Nikon user for years and even their lowest priced DSLRs shoot 300 DPI JPEGS so I was really surprised when I saw the Fuji jpegs were low resolution. If there's a fix for this I'd love to know about it.

A little knowledge is dangerous ( Alexander Pope) ,

The dpi that you see in the image size has nothing to do with anything other than printing and it is there to be changed for that purpose but nothing else.

As often happens this has been discussed before here and elsewhere but relax... it’s a red herring.

http://www.fuji-x-forum.com/topic/1768-how-do-you-change-the-x-10-file-sizes-from-72dpi/

This is the comment made by Larry Bloch in that thread...

Out of the camera, 72 ppi is meaningless. It is just a placeholder. It becomes meaningful when you go to make a print. At that point, a print resolution is applied in software that will match the pixel dimensions to the size of paper. When viewed on a monitor or on the Internet, it has no application or significance.

Yes I just got my X-E2 and I noticed immediately that the JPEGs are only 72 DPI instead of 300, which makes the JPEGs pretty much useless except for sharing on social media. I've been a Nikon user for years and even their lowest priced DSLRs shoot 300 DPI JPEGS so I was really surprised when I saw the Fuji jpegs were low resolution. If there's a fix for this I'd love to know about it.

Nothing whatever useless about it! Simply change the figure to whatever you want in any image editor. Set it for 300,000 pixels per inch/dots per inch if you wish. It makes absolutely no difference whatever.

A 4896 x 3264 pixel image has exactly the same picture data at 72 ppi as it would have at 300k. The only difference is a meaningless variable. Only printer drivers understand dpi/ppi. They and they alone use that figure to fit 4896 x 3264 onto an 8×10 or 30×40 sheet of printing paper.

• Monitors know nothing about dpi/ppi.
  • The Internet knows nothing about dpi/ppi.
  • Slide-show viewers know nothing about dpi/ppi.
  • Image editing programs only understand dpi/ppi when you do a Ctrl-P to print.

There is no visible difference in an image that is 7.2, 72 or 720 dpi/ppi as long as it has the dimensions of 4896 x 3264. Zero visible difference. An image straight out of the camera at 72 dpi/ppi is precisely the same resolution as one that is 300 dpi/ppi as long as the pixel dimensions are equal.

incidentally the sensors are obviously the same and they produce the same size of raw and the same quality image. The Jpeg are different in size because of different compression.

Read this.

http://www.fuji-x-forum.com/topic/228-x-t10-jpeg-size-150-larger/

thanks for the link, pretty informative. i really don't get why some fuji x cameras (or most of them) have higher jpeg compression. pretty sad about this actually, i knew something was off with the jpegs of my new x-e2s compared to the x-t10. not a deal breaker, but still...

• 3 weeks later...