Adapter for Nikon Glass

I couldn't get any good answer to this question so ended up trying my luck using a generic adapter.  I got one called the K&F concept adapter on Amazon. Here's the link - 

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00OONK89W/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It has a nice aperture ring, construction is solid and works well on my Nikon 50/1.8. No complaints here.

• 2 weeks later...

I purchased a Nikon adapter off Amazon last year for approx $35.  Can't remember the brand name, but it had good reviews.  It works great.  I got one for Canon glass as well and it works equally as well.  Spending approx $35 to try one isn't too big a deal to experiment.

I'm usually happy with Fotasy products too.

This time, the adapter wasn't great for two reasons:

1. The lens doesn't screw smoothly as if the adapter was a tad too small.
  2. Because of point #1, the lever on the side with the tip shape makes unscrewing the lens quite uncomfortable.

But this is the first case over probably other 30 adapters.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Just to summarize.

There are at least three totally different adapter types on the market, to adapt Nikon F mount lens:

1 - "simple metal ring", allows to attach any Nikon F glass to Fuji X mount. Limitation - can't control aperture on Nikon lens that have no aperture ring.

2 - "metal ring with aperture control", similar to type 1, but has ring that connects to Nikon aperture lever, and can close/open aperture even on Nikon "G" lens.

3 - "metal helicoid with(or without) aperture ring", similar to type 1 or 2, but has separate focus ring that allows to extend adapter length. It's good choice for extending macro distance of any Nikon F lens to very close. Another benefit - adapter focus ring can be used instead of lens focus ring, which is much more convenient due to closer ring location to Fuji camera body.

I personally use combination of Nikon F > Leica M adapter + Leica M > Fuji X. It has a bit slimmer look, and provides flexibility of using Nikon / Leica mount lens.

NOTE: usually more expensive brand adapter are made with better precision standards, so mounted lens will not play on camera and focus distance will be precise. However I personally buy cheap adapters ($10 - $20), and just repeat that until receive good quality sample.

Edited by yukosteel

Morning...

Shooting Menu ( red ) #3

last pick: Shoot without Lens, On or Off, whichever you need

Select lens size in selection right above the Shoot without lens:  Mount Adaptor Setting

To set camera to MF the button is on the front, right of lens

:) 

Edited by Chayelle

Just to summarize.

There are at least three totally different adapter types on the market, to adapt Nikon F mount lens:

1 - "simple metal ring", allows to attach any Nikon F glass to Fuji X mount. Limitation - can't control aperture on Nikon lens that have no aperture ring.

2 - "metal ring with aperture control", similar to type 1, but has ring that connects to Nikon aperture lever, and can close/open aperture even on Nikon "G" lens.

3 - "metal helicoid with(or without) aperture ring", similar to type 1 or 2, but has separate focus ring that allows to extend adapter length. It's good choice for extending macro distance of any Nikon F lens to very close. Another benefit - adapter focus ring can be used instead of lens focus ring, which is much more convenient due to closer ring location to Fuji camera body.

I personally use combination of Nikon F > Leica M adapter + Leica M > Fuji X. It has a bit slimmer look, and provides flexibility of using Nikon / Leica mount lens.

NOTE: usually more expensive brand adapter are made with better precision standards, so mounted lens will not play on camera and focus distance will be precise. However I personally buy cheap adapters ($10 - $20), and just repeat that until receive good quality sample.

Thanks for the information...

I did not know that about a "metal helicoid"...  good to know!

And your #2, metal ring... did not know this either.  Very helpful...   :)

I have bought a tilting adapter to fit an old 17mm Nikon mount lens onto Fuji X cameras. It works remarkably well as a landscape lens setup. It has completely replaced my Nikon 24mm tilt shift lens.

Since this application requires a tripod mounted camera in any case, the fact that AF is not available is no problem. Perhaps the only trap to avoid is the rotation of the lens assembly. It really requires some care to ensure that the tilt is in precisely the correct direction.

This rig does quite a lot of work for me now. Of course, the usual Scheimpfug rules apply to this just as they do to full frame lenses.