Lens for San Fransisco

JimP

Hi Kids,

I'm renting an X-Pro2 and an 18-55mm for a week long vacation to San Fran and wanted to know if I should get another lens. I will be doing the usual tourist stuff and with be joining a photo tour group, but I did not any suggestions about alternative lens from the group. I think the 18-55mm should do me fine and I will have my X100T with me too.

Thanks

Jim

The 18-55 is great for all the normal vacation stuff. If you want something else you could consider a wide-angle for architectural and wide landscape shots. If you're more interested in taking portraits the 56mm and 90mm create great images which are different than the 18-55. If you want more flexibility you can add a telezoom like the 55-200 (light, great option) the 50-140 (great for portraits and low light as well but heavy) or the 100-400 (biggest reach, heaviest).

That said, you can have a great time and great photo's with the x-pro2 + 18-55 and x100t as well.

Edited by Sluw

If I were you I would buy a 12mm Samyang ( which some say is a better lens than the Zeiss ) if you were to sell it i( but I am quite sure you will keep it) it would probably cost you less than renting a lens that you may not be able to afford.

Taking the 18-55 with you is a no brainer.

Edited by milandro

Thanks for the ideas Sluw,

I can rent a Zeiss Touit 12mm f/2.8, for about $60...not a bad price and it seems like a nice lens.

Jim

The Zeiss 12mm is awesome. As other people said though, if you ever consider to buy an interchangeable lens Fuji you can also buy the Samyang 12mm which is as good (only without AF) and way cheaper.

I used the 18-135 almost exclusively in SF because the hills provided such great views and the extra zoom was also good for photographing nature. The lens is somewhat large to leave on the camera all the time but it kept things simple, too. For photographs indoors, a wide angle is recommended and, for photo's in the evening or at night, a fast prime.

Thanks for the ideas Sluw,

I can rent a Zeiss Touit 12mm f/2.8, for about $60...not a bad price and it seems like a nice lens.

Jim

It's  a very nice lens.  Reasonable weight. Doesn't take too much room.  It's W-i-i-i-i-i-d-e  though.  I find myself using my 16 1.4 oh so much more together with my 18-55

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

The 18-55 is an excellent choice!  That is my "don't leave home without it lens".  My next would be not he 12 2.8 which I also own, but the 16 1.4

That's my second "don't leave home..." lens.  Those two travel with me wherever the X-T1 goes.  The lens is wide, and also as a make-do macro lens.  

Check out my links in the signature as I have some 16mm images linked there.  Also, the macro image of the hermit crab was at F5 for a bit more depth. Someone commented the bokeh was a bit too busy for them.  I'm ok with it.

Hope that helps!

• 1 year later...

Your zoom should be good for most cityscape type shots, and from memory (although a long time ago) 28mm equivalent should be wide enough for e.g. Golden Gate Bridge stretching into the distance, or the hills and tramways.

Personally, around cities now I’d always carry a fast prime in the 35 or 50 (equivalent, so 23 1.4 or 35 1.4 for Fuji). Great for street photography, food, details, and fast for when the light falls and you want the city at night (although a very small, light, travel tripod is good for serious night work).