Need suggestion for TENBA DNA bag

Hello members,

After quite some research, I have decided to buy a Tenba DNA messenger bag due to cost-benefit ratio. I was also intesested into Peak Design's one, but that's just too costly.

Anyway, being an average height Asian person (5.6"), I am in dilemma which size should I buy. I need your help and suggestion if u have any experience with this bag or similar kind of bag.

My purpose of use is, everyday all-in-one bag but mostly to bring my camera gears. I want to take one Fuji x body, 2-3 lenses, 1-2 flashes, big blower, one portable reflector etc. and occasionally laptop, especially during travel. But if I just keep the necessity for laptop accommodation aside, I am in doubt will the 15" size be big/heavy/uncomfortable/funny looking (considering my height) to carry the bag at all time on my shoulder during street or wedding photography. Should I go for 13" rather??

Please gimme your valuable suggestions. Thanks.

Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk

This is a rather difficult advice to give. If possible I would say, take some gear and go into a shop and try one of them for a spin, that would give you exactly what can expect out of them and how they would look/feel.

As for me, my daily drive bag has been clearly taken over by the Peak Design Messenger bag, I know they are releasing a smaller version of it, which sound just as good, but I still prefer my daily bag to be larger. It's easier to manager a half empty large bag, than try to find more space in a bag that is clearly too small for your sudden increase in gear.

If you need to carry an ultrabook laptop, I will not take anything smaller than the DNA 13 with only the exception of the DNA 11 if you happen to be using a Microsoft Surface.

Now if photo editing on the spot is not needed, just go take the DNA 8, I have been able to cram my X-T1 with 35 F1.4, 18-135 and 10-24 into a much smaller bag and still be able to carry 2 extra batteries and a smaller 5200 mah powerbank, battery charger for the camera and enough cables to juice up anything in an emergency.

@darknj thank u so much for yr reply. Actually thing is, I have no access to Tenba bags in my country. I will have to import it. And yah, I am stuck between DNA 13 & 15. My current laptop is 15". So if I consider that, I must go for 15" bag. But I am thinking if this 15" bag will be too big for me for day-to-day use. I don't take my laptop outside quite often, but yes I do sometimes.

If you plan on taking a 15" laptop with your photo gear from time to time, I would highly suggest you a backpack style bag, it will be a lot better for your shoulders if you have to carry everything with you for several hours.

Trust me on this, a fully loaded messenger bag will give you sore shoulders.

In my opinion, the DNA 15 is too large for your system. The depth front to back is the same as a pro DSLR with an attached grip/booster, which is really a ton of space for a mirrorless system. The DNA 13 would be a much better size to manage, but of course the laptop will not fit.

I'm not sure how soon you need the bag, but there *may* be something interesting coming 27 days from now that could be of interest to you. :)

Can I ask what country you live in?

Peter

Tenba

In my opinion, the DNA 15 is too large for your system. The depth front to back is the same as a pro DSLR with an attached grip/booster, which is really a ton of space for a mirrorless system. The DNA 13 would be a much better size to manage, but of course the laptop will not fit.

I'm not sure how soon you need the bag, but there *may* be something interesting coming 27 days from now that could be of interest to you. :)

Peter

Tenba

Wow....I didn't actually expect someone from Tenba could reply me here. Great to see you. I was planning to buy next week. But for your words, I think I will wait. But if there were any glimpse of that surprise u mentioned, it would be highly beneficial and awesome for me, as I said, I have to import it via my friend in UK. And oh I live in Bangladesh. Thanks again for yr reply. It was a sheer surprise of me and makes me feel, no, corporate guys can be social too :-)

Peter

Tenba

I would like to throw in an alternate suggestion:

Tenba Classic P211

I bought this bag two months ago. I've configured the bag to hold one body (XE-2 or XP-2) and any five of these six lenses: 16, 23, 56, 90, 18-55, and 55-200. I also have a Fuji bounce flash, three filters, three batteries. There is a zippered lower compartment that allows for one or two lenses, chargers, or other stuff. Full disclosure: In order to accomplish this, I had to add one divider from another bag. The camera rides on tip with the lens pointing down. The bag is very narrow, a messenger design, has a firm, box shape, and is very well made. I don't think the rear zippered compartment would hold a laptop, but it holds my tablet easily. For me, room is not an issue with this bag. I'm able to put more in it than I'm willing to carry around. It gets too heavy before it gets too full. 

Might be worth a look if you don't want to wait 27 days. . . .  How intriguing. . . .  

Edited by Tommyboy

I would like to throw in an alternate suggestion:

Tenba Classic P211

I bought this bag two months ago. I've configured the bag to hold one body (XE-2 or XP-2) and any five of these six lenses: 16, 23, 56, 90, 18-55, and 55-200. I also have a Fuji bounce flash, three filters, three batteries. There is a zippered lower compartment that allows for one or two lenses, chargers, or other stuff. Full disclosure: In order to accomplish this, I had to add one divider from another bag. The camera rides on tip with the lens pointing down. The bag is very narrow, a messenger design, has a firm, box shape, and is very well made. I don't think the rear zippered compartment would hold a laptop, but it holds my tablet easily. For me, room is not an issue with this bag. I'm able to put more in it than I'm willing to carry around. It gets too heavy before it gets too full.

Might be worth a look if you don't want to wait 27 days. . . . How intriguing. . . .

Wow....nice choice there. But it doesn't include a quick access zipper which misses the purpose for me buying a messenger bag instead of a backpackers. But hey, really good choice there.

If you have a 15" Laptop and want to put your laptop in the bag, then you'll have to get the one that can accommodate that one, or get the smaller one, and buy another bag for when you want to carry your laptop.  And if you don't want to buy a bigger bag just because you may occasionally carry your laptop, then I'd look at a different style of bag all together if it were me.  That's only if you're going to have to have two bags anyway, might as well be two different styles of bag.

• 2 weeks later...

I own the DNA 15 and in my opinion, its a great bag for commuting short distances when it's fully loaded. If you want to carry all your gear and a 15" laptop for long stretches then you'd be better off with a backpack as a messenger with that much weight would be seriously bad for your spine over extended periods. If you wanted the bag for only your camera gear then the DNA 13 would be a good choice.