Which 3 primes combo is your ideal setup?

xherion

If I wanted to replicate my other systems' 3 primes kit, it would be 18, 35 and 56 or 60 (i.e. 28/50/90 equivalents), with a 14mm added when a 4 lenses kit is allowed.

Trouble is, I have the 18-55 and I know the 18 f/2.0 is a bit weaker than the zoom (not at f/2 of course). I could therefore be tempted to go for a 16/35/56 or 60 trio instead. Advantage is that this would save me the purchase of the 14mm.

That was kind of my thought, until I realized the 18-55 never got mounted since I got the 35 except for "utility" shots (ie visiting a house to buy and taking pics of the interior). So I'm carrying useless weight all the time for no real benefit, the 18 would be better for that. I think the slight IQ difference in corners don't matter at all for utility shots like interiors, whole big buildings or even groups, the point of interest is not in the extreme corners and if I manage to get some slight out of focus areas on such a wide angle the prime might as well be more pleasant, the 18-55 is nothing to brag about in this area.

This is heavily biased due to my general preferences in locations and topics as a photographer, so it will not be the most versatile or best option for many people, but the three primes which are always in my bag are the 23, 27, and 35. I know those are clustered tightly together in focal length, but here is why. The 23 is on my camera most of the time. The 35 has a certain magic to it and is the perfect step up in terms of field of view for me. The 27 is so small and compact that in a way it transforms the camera into a totally different form factor for street shooting. The 18 would also do that, but my preference at the moment just happens to be between the 23 and 35 for street photos. 

If I get more comfortable shooting with non-pancake lenses in the street, then I could see myself going for either the 16 or something longer than the 35 depending on my subject on a given day.

I have looked at the 56 and it just doesn't fit my style of shooting enough to justify buying one at that price even though it is a beautiful lens, but sometimes I do carry an adapted Helios 44-2 if I want that focal length on hand and it cost me about $70 for a really nice copy.

Impossible decision.

I currently use the 14mm, 35mm and 60mm.

If I were traveling around the world, however, the 23mm would have to sneak in somehow. The only one it could really replace, though, is the 35mm, which is just to useful for shooting my family shots to ever give up.

Maybe 4 primes, or 3 and a zoom?

If I have to choose 3 it would be the 14, 23 and 56 with an honorable mention for the 35 .... 

From all the excellent Fuji Primes, if you can only carry 3 in your bag, which are they?

Pick 3 from choices below:

14, 16, 18, 23, 27, 35, 56, 60, 90mm

Mine is 14 / 35 / 56.

If I have to limit to 3 lenses I would take 16 - 23 - 35 because I am shooting landscape and street. The 56 is a fantastic lens but a bit to close for my purpose when restricting to 3 primes only.

It would find the way into my bag when there is enough space for my x100t. Then I would leave the 23 at home

14 (21mm FF) - the widest focal length that still looks natural. For landscape, architecture, interiors

23 (35mm FF) - just the most versatile, beloved focal length. Feels like my natural view of the world.

56 (85mm FF) - the portrait lens that can still be used for totals, architecture elements.

All three fuji variants are excellent lenses (even if the sensor is not up to architecture photography)

Why not the "standard lens" 35 (50mm FF)? - Never understood why it is has been called standard. I could never relate to this focal length. For me it is too narrow for situational photography and too wide for portraits.

What I have is already my ideal setup:

14, 27, 56

14 - classic wide angle of view, without introducing extreme distortion. Makes viewer feel like you're in the scene.

27 - perfect normal field of view (focal length == sensor diagonal), very compact, super-sharp. Unlike 23 that I often found a tad too wide, or 35 that I found a bit too narrow. Images feel very natural.

56 - classic portrait perspective, shallow depth of field. Great for focussing on details and removing all distractions

Seldom commented on observation: field of view covered by each of these lenses is almost exactly half the previous one. i.e. 27 is almost exactly half as wide as 14, and 56 is almost exactly half as wide at 27, making it easy to visualize what you'll get by switching from one lens to another in this setup.

I'm torn. I have 16, 23, 35 and 56.

Taking more than 2-3 lenses out with me is overkill, I find.

It means I have to carry a bigger bag and I start looking like 'the photographer' rather than just enjoying what I'm doing and having a camera with me.

I take what I can fit in my Billingham Hadley Digital - a camera with a lens on and 1-2 extra lenses

The 16 and 23 are definitely part of my kit

But I can't decide between 35 and 56

I like natural photography, close to what the human eye sees, but I'm torn between which of those 2 lenses are most useful

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I know exactly what you mean... 

The 35mm is so nice it has to be there.

23mm? mmmm tough call: I use that focal all the time on my X100s, so maybe yes?

On the wide side, 16 or 14mm? I love the wideness of the 14mm, but the latest test shots I saw from the 16mm are just great: very interesting to see the capacity for smooth bokeh with such a wide focal. 

Then what to do about the 56mm? I didn't properly try it yet, but it seems a wonderful lens... 

Final call, if only 3 primes can stay? 

Jeez, you're killing me... 16mm, 35mm, 56mm

Single prime 23/1.4

Two primes 23/1.4 & 56/1.2

Three primes 16/1.4 & 35/1.4 & 90/2

Four primes 16/1.4 & 23/1.4 & 56/1.2 & 90/2

My real setup 16/1.4 (coming soon) & x100s & TCL-X100 & 56/1.2 & 90/2 (coming soon)