X-E2 NEEDS a new update and here's why:

The other day I decided to cave in and put some sugru on my X-T1 buttons on the back. While letting it dry for 24 hours, and not wanting to go without a fuji camera for that long (yes, it's that bad), I pulled out my trusty X-E2, which is my backup for portrait and wedding work. 

While I didn't do any specific portrait or wedding work with it that day, I did have some opportunities to take some pictures at the school where I work of students in the midst of a fun activity. I've not used the X-E2 since I've gotten my X-T1 in April and I had forgotten how much I loved the sound of the X-E2's shutter over the sound of the X-T1. Something about it. However, I had also forgotten how much the X-E2 STINKS with capturing action shots. It just could not keep up with anything. This is in broad daylight and sunny conditions with 1/4000 second shutter speeds and apertures of 2.8 and smaller! The autofocus is just not there. In fact, I wouldn't hesitate to say that I've gotten better manual focus action shots with a 3rd party lens on the X-E2 (See this post: http://abjurina.tumblr.com/post/105967813309/manual-focusing-yes-please about that). 

I'm really crossing my fingers about improved autofocus with this next update or it might be "goodbye X-E2, hello X-T10". Man, I love the sound of that shutter though! :)

Nice pictures on your site BTW, looks really pro.

Maybe instead of getting angry at camera x not behaving like camera y you could have tried reducing shutter speed to say 1000, and use a smaller f-stop to get a wider dof and increase the size of the AF square, it helps a lot with AF speed on the X-E models. I doubt you were manual focusing sport at f/2 in the past?

@citral, thanks for the compliment. The answer to your question about adjusting my settings to suit the autofocus is simple: I like using shallow DOF in sports to help separate the main action from the other athletes or distractions. If I have to improve autofocus by compromising my settings to get what I want, then the autofocus system is not ready for prime-time. At least not for action. I say this because I never had to do this on Canon and Nikon gear. Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying that Fuji makes a bad camera. I LOVE the X-E2, but it's not a great sports camera with it's current autofocus system. The X-T1 on the other hand (and probably the X-T10) handles action much more responsibly. This is my point. I'm hoping that fuji gives the X-E2 the autofocus a boost. I'm also not "angry" about it. I like to say I'm hopeful. 

Well my point is the X-E line has never been advertised or intended as sport cameras, so while there are some workarounds, it's never gonna be that great. Asking Fuji to adjust is just like asking Burton hey guys, I bought this freestyle snowboard and I can't win speed races with it please update.

@ Citral

If it's technical possible why not asking for!?! (Don't compare it with things which can't be updated because it isn't technical possible!)

Formerly technical things was build for a lifetime. Why not today? Some people don't want to buy the newest stuff year after yaer after year...

So an update (within the realms of possibility) is a good thing I think! You can keep your old gear and also keep it to the highest, possible standard. (I know that this isn't in mind of a  profit making company)

At the X-E2 there aren't only AF issues when shooting sport. There are also these AF issues when it comes to low light situations. And that is where the camera shines!!! The low light performance is amazing (except the AF). So maybe with the new AF update this could get fixed.

Yes you are also right. In a way I'm in contradiction with myself because I hate the "wow it's all new NEED it" hype and buy most of my stuff when it's 2nd gen. My car is a 1992 Mercedes to give you an idea about what I think of the short-lived products, designed to fail eventually, plaguing our times.

So yes, I'd like updates and longer life expectancy, but at the same time I want Fuji to do well so I can be confident investing in more glass, and think it's the greater good in the end.

And I bought the X-E1 pretty much as a finished product, not expecting anything different than what it was. I think it's the most reasonable way to think.

while attending a Fuji product presentation a few days ago, I heard from the company reps what I was hoping to hear about an upcoming major firmware upgrade for the X-E2. It will be a great "new" camera with the latest FW release in a few months.With the AF updated and a few other useful tweaks to FujiFilm's latest standard (X-T10), it will be a fantastic camera!

I do hope they have some of the improvements you get with the X-T1. Not so much the electronic shutter but the improved autofocus algorithm would be a real treat. If the electronic shutter comes too, well, that'd be a real bonus.Fact is, apart from the EVF, the underlying platform (CPU etc) of both cameras is the same so I don't see why it should be difficult to have al the improvements enjoyed in the X-T1 - apart from the EVF goodies of course.

I would love to see that it's possible to set the current used aperture of (old/third party) "none connected" lenses. So it will be displayed in the EXIF data.

The Leica M does this by guesstimating the f-stop, based on the brightness measured by the TTL meter and the ambient light sensor. The guesstimated f-stop is usually within ±1 EV of its actual value but can be further off the mark if filters are used, for example, so it is far from reliable. And as the X-E2 doesn’t feature an ambient light sensor, it wouldn’t be possible to adapt this solution anyway.

The Leica M does this by guesstimating the f-stop, based on the brightness measured by the TTL meter and the ambient light sensor. The guesstimated f-stop is usually within ±1 EV of its actual value but can be further off the mark if filters are used, for example, so it is far from reliable. And as the X-E2 doesn’t feature an ambient light sensor, it wouldn’t be possible to adapt this solution anyway.

Interesting!

But I just want to set it manually e.g. with the command dial. It is useless when old lenses are attached so why not give it this optional function?!

But I just want to set it manually e.g. with the command dial.

Now this would be relatively easy to implement (but still require some resources) but how many photographers would want to fiddle with a thumb wheel or whatever whenever they change the f-stop with the aperture ring? As usual it is a matter of evaluating (Usefulness of a feature * Number of users for whom it would be useful) / Resources required for implementing it. It doesn’t look too promising to me.

how many photographers would want to fiddle with a thumb wheel or whatever whenever they change the f-stop with the aperture ring?

It just should be optional. So you can choose by yourself if you use it or not.

And by the way this should not cause any discussion here. I just wanted to share my wishes for an update!

It just should be optional. So you can choose by yourself if you use it or not.

Of course such a setting would be optional (by its very nature) and I am neither fore nor against implementing it. I only wanted to point out that it isn’t very likely for Fuji to seriously consider such a feature.

I'd be happy about the auto macro switch also, together with the ability to use the left and right buttons as function buttons...

When I think about: I'd like to have all possible features coming with FW 4.0 for the X-T1 in my X-E2 also! :D

I agree with the OP; any autofocus improvements would be welcome. The top three improvements I would like to see are;

(1) Allow the spot meter to be coupled to the AF point (X-T1 got this update last year). I challenge anyone to explain to me why they would use spot metering and want the centre to be arbitrarily exposed properly rather than their focus point.

(2) Option to make the macro function redundant. If someone at Fuji thinks "but we wrote macro on that button", never fear! I will gladly use a black pen to remove that writing from my X-E2.

(3) Option for the command dial to directly control autofocus point (X-T1 got this last year).

I really think the combination of these three updates would make my camera better for shooting people than a 16% improvement in AF-C mode.