Buy & Sell?

Hi.

Should the new forum have a Buy & Sell section?  That's pretty common on community forums.  I'm not sure if this forum software supports it or not, but allowing others to leave comments on a user profile and/or a score/star rating helps to build good reputation for the Buy & Sell pieces.

Great website and thanks for your work!

Adam

Sounds like a good idea, but (and it's a big BUT!)… it seems that FR readers are from all over the globe. "Buy & Sell" section works best with location-specific forums.

Oh well, maybe we can have many location specific Buy & Sell subforums? (one for Asia, one for Europe, one for US/Canada, etc)

I certainly agree on a Buy&Sell section of the Forum!

The world is getting smaller, and it's obvious there will be communiites or customers groups where anyone belongs to and will be easily able to buy or sell photo items: Europe, North America, Australia...

Ciaooo,  ;)

R

I too agree that this would be a great addition to the forum.  If you don't want to split it up simply have the people list their shipping preferences.  I'm a member of another forum where members span the entire globe and you simply list whether or not you are willing to ship overseas, however most folks in the US simply state that their price includes CONUS shipping.  Others list whether they are in the EU or South America, etc...

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I think that this would be a valued addition to the forum, but, given the level of price differences between countries , the hefty shipping charges,  the need to insure the goods and the various percentages of VAT ( on average some 20%) applicable throughout Europe (plus the inexplicable “ handling through customs” fees applied by national postal services or couriers) this would only be realistically feasible if we would have a regional splitting.

So US, EU, Rest of the world.

Of course different items are affected in a different way from costs.

I can send easily and reasonably cheaply a camera or a lens within Europe or the NL where I live but if becomes complicated to send a registered envelope containing a thumb rest ( or a strap) to Australia because the shipping costs are so high that they make the operation void of any significance.

This is how most other forums I belong to operate. The buyer specifies where in the world he/she is willing to ship, and that's that. If a seller outside those specified areas really wants to try, and the seller is ok with it too, it will be up to buyer to decide if paying the crazy shipping charges is worth it.

But most cases, buyers stick to sellers that will ship to them.

Start the post title with where you are willing to ship, like WW for worldwide, EU, US, etc?

This is how most other forums I belong to operate. The buyer specifies where in the world he/she is willing to ship, and that's that. If a seller outside those specified areas really wants to try, and the seller is ok with it too, it will be up to buyer to decide if paying the crazy shipping charges is worth it.

But most cases, buyers stick to sellers that will ship to them.

Start the post title with where you are willing to ship, like WW for worldwide, EU, US, etc?

That's how forums I'm on do it as well.  They simply list in the title what the product is and "CONUS" or whatever their shipping preferences are.  If the buyer really thinks it's a good deal on a hard to find item where they are, I've seen them pay the extra shipping charges to get the items...

Keeps it simple and it's very effective...

Perhaps better to have sections otherwise the post titles would be more about where to ship than about what you sell

Having sections  such as

EU US Asia Australasia and  all over the world 

So if you only sell in one you post in that only and if you want to sell all over the world you post there 

Very simple.

Honestly I think it's important to have a BST (Buy, Sell, Trade) Board.  I'd be on board with anything that got it up and running.

Things change with updates as you learn how the community uses the forum.  If it's easier to post different regions, I'm good with that.  If it's easier to have just one BST board, I'm good there too..