I've handled a pre-production X-T2; nothing new, but can confirm some things

aceflibble

I want a graphite one. (Or regular silver would do, really.) I've been asking everyone I know for months now, and heard nothing back. Everybody is assuming there will be a graphite edition again, at a higher price like before, but all the ones that have been sent out so far—at least that anyone I know has seen—have been plain black. Which is to be expected. The T1 didn't launch with graphite silver as an option, either.

Frankly I think it's just damn stupid that the Pro bodies aren't available in silver, but that's another topic for another day.

I'm unsure if I want the graphite T2 or not. I have the graphite X-T1 and prefer the look of the graphite, but I find the knobs bit easier to read on the black version under a variety of conditions. 

If the T2 ships black only, I'm not going to wait.

btw, thanks for your fine write-up

THANK YOU so very much for this concise update!  As an X-T1 shooter I'm very excited to hear the X-T2 is just around the corner --- though I am not an early adopter of things.  I learned my lesson very painfully back with the Nikon D800 debacle in 2012.  Anyway, I will be purchasing the X-T2 probably in the new tax year of 2017 as a deductible business expense and I can't wait.  As usual, any issues will be well vetted out between now and then on oh so many review sites and critiques.  

But, overall, if it quacks like a duck, and looks like a duck, it's for me.  

Again, thank you!  Well done.  And well done protecting your friends anonymity.

I'm so glad it does not have a touch screen! Great news!

I'll be ordering on day 1...

I wonder if the X-T2 will be available in black and graphite?

Can you (or others who have expressed happiness about lack of touch screen) help me understand your position? I am honestly interested in understanding your point of view, as Fuji does a great job of listening to customers, and it seems like there are plenty of people who don't want a touch screen and speak their minds on a regular basis about this. Here is why your comments confuse me: why would you object to a feature that is so easily ignored? You do realize that even if Fuji didn't allow you to turn it off in the Settings, you could simply not use it, right? Unlike so many other features that drastically change the look, weight, size, functionality of the camera, a touch screen is going to have no impact on someone like you, who could simply ignore it and use the buttons instead. I will speak for those of us on the other team, who find it extremely clumsy and frustrating to have to push clicking physical buttons for something so simple like zooming into a check focus. The ease of use of a touch screen is clear when you consider the explosion of smartphones, so why is there so much dislike of this concept in the Fuji user community, when again, you could simply just ignore it if you don't want it? Much like that silly sync portal on the front of the XT1 that 99% of us all ignore.

I g

Can you (or others who have expressed happiness about lack of touch screen) help me understand your position?

I g

Dial lovers buy Fuji, touch lovers buy Sony.... what's wrong with that? I don't like my fridge be connected to Internet and I don't like my car drives itself while I'm looking through the window yawning...

Dial lovers buy Fuji, touch lovers buy Sony.... what's wrong with that? I don't like my fridge be connected to Internet and I don't like my car drives itself while I'm looking through the window yawning...

I don't think there is anything wrong with it. We are just talking about preferences, and mine is to have all the XT1 goodness I currently enjoy + a touch screen for reviewing photos, and occasionally shooting in stealth mode from the hip via touch focus/expose/shoot. So really, my question is less about which is better (touch vs no touch) and more about understanding an objection to a feature that is so easy to ignored if you don't want it. I mean, all the buttons wouldn't go away if there was a touch screen added. 

Dial lovers buy Fuji, touch lovers buy Sony…. what’s wrong with that? I don’t like my fridge be connected to Internet and I don’t like my car drives itself while I’m looking through the window yawning…

That’s not an argument against Fuji including a touch-screen though. Like others have said, if the XT2 does​​ have a touchscreen, it will have literally no negative impact on people who don’t want to use it. They can just ignore it entirely.

The only​​ argument I can see against Fuji including touch-screens on cameras is that it might somehow mean they make design decisions that end up with core functionality controlled by the screen and not by buttons/dials. In other words, a slippery slope fallacy.

And if you’re upset about ‘paying’ for a feature you don’t use, then uh, don’t be selfish? The camera isn't designed specifically for you. I personally don’t ever use the hotshoe on my cameras, but I realise that other people do and don’t begrudge Fuji putting one there.

Edited by Andy F

Can you (or others who have expressed happiness about lack of touch screen) help me understand your position? I am honestly interested in understanding your point of view, as Fuji does a great job of listening to customers, and it seems like there are plenty of people who don't want a touch screen and speak their minds on a regular basis about this. Here is why your comments confuse me: why would you object to a feature that is so easily ignored? You do realize that even if Fuji didn't allow you to turn it off in the Settings, you could simply not use it, right? Unlike so many other features that drastically change the look, weight, size, functionality of the camera, a touch screen is going to have no impact on someone like you, who could simply ignore it and use the buttons instead. I will speak for those of us on the other team, who find it extremely clumsy and frustrating to have to push clicking physical buttons for something so simple like zooming into a check focus. The ease of use of a touch screen is clear when you consider the explosion of smartphones, so why is there so much dislike of this concept in the Fuji user community, when again, you could simply just ignore it if you don't want it? Much like that silly sync portal on the front of the XT1 that 99% of us all ignore.

I g

This is a good and rational question, Vexy, but I'm sadly not surprised by the "buy a Sony" and "why don't you just add a SIM card" responses. Aside from added cost, I'm not sure there *is* a good reason so you're left to hear from the I-can't-see-a-use-for-it-so-nobody-should-have-it crowd.

About a touchscreen; at first I didn't use it on the X70, but when I tried the touch to focus, I found it's a really neat feature.

Hope it in the X-T2 also. Turn it off if one don't like it. And adding touch capabilities to a screen is relatively cheap these days, so cost should not be an issue.

It is more useful on the X70 because of the lack of EVF/OVF. On the X-T2, when you have the eye in the EVF, there is no need of a touchscreen to focus.

Of course you will probably be able to desactive it, But the screen will be more expensive, and why should we pay for something unuseful on a classic camera ?

but I'm sadly not surprised by the "buy a Sony" and "why don't you just add a SIM card" responses. Aside from added cost, I'm not sure there *is* a good reason so you're left to hear from the I-can't-see-a-use-for-it-so-nobody-should-have-it crowd.

:( Are you ok? Vexy asked and I came back with my personal opinion. You didn't get it. Up to you. Just stop crying.

It is more useful on the X70 because of the lack of EVF/OVF. On the X-T2, when you have the eye in the EVF, there is no need of a touchscreen to focus.

Of course you will probably be able to desactive it, But the screen will be more expensive, and why should we pay for something unuseful on a classic camera ?

I see your point perfectly, but people shoot differently, and maybe Fujifilm goes in that direction? I don't know.

But the cameras are for sure full of tech already, regarding to all the firmware/software updates.

I see no harm in a touchscreen giving another option.

Please Please Please Fuji, at some point in time please think about including HSS with your cameras.  I have a X-T1 and Pro 2 and not sure which one will go to get the T2 if it is as good as I have read but I would so much love for Fuji to spend some time working with ANYBODY's OCF system (besides that itty bitty Nissin) to allow for HSS!

:( Are you ok? Vexy asked and I came back with my personal opinion. You didn't get it. Up to you. Just stop crying.

Nobody's crying, don't be ridiculous. Someone asked what your reasoning is behind wanting no touchscreen, and all you can offer is "I don't want it/I can't think of a use for it so nobody should have it." That's not reasonable.

As I read the rumors the X-T2 will really be an upgrade compared to the X-T1. I use my X-T1 as a camera to make pictures no video so the 4K video is not made for me. But more pixels and better auto focus and lower noise is great to have. I also hope the same battery is used, they are not that bulky and I always have one fully charged as spare in my pocket and it would be really nice if fuji would supply a protecting cover for the contacts. My Canon camera (EOS 5D mkII) battery is supplied with a protective cover and that is very appreciated by me. Fuji will make me really happy if the do the same. But beside all I'm looking forward to the day I can (pre)order my X-T2.

I wish X-T2 had focus selector joy stick button slightly higher (like in X-Pro2) than the current pictures suggest as higher is more ergonomic/easier to navigate with right thumb in my personal, subjective view. The Q and joy stick could have been swapped, since quick menu button may be less frequently used than the focus selector knob. No big deal though.

I g

First: I have fat fingers and Touch screen on ANYTHING is never accurate.  I always get something started that I didn't touch!  I hate that - half the time it takes me a deal of frustration to get out of whatever fool function got started.

Second: I prefer a clean screen not one with finger prints all over it.

Third: For me it just adds added expense for the product that I definitely don't need.

I would settle for a camera that has it because I know some people do like it; BUT FIRST I MUST be able to de-activate it!   I would not purchase it under any circumstances unless it could be de-activated.  Not even the best camera made at a very low cost - Touch Screen is a permanent show stopper for me.

Edited by Lumens

First: I have fat fingers and Touch screen on ANYTHING is never accurate.  I always get something started that I didn't touch!  I hate that - half the time it takes me a deal of frustration to get out of whatever fool function got started.

Second: I prefer a clean screen not one with finger prints all over it.

Third: For me it just adds added expense for the product that I definitely don't need.

I would settle for a camera that has it because I know some people do like it; BUT FIRST I MUST be able to de-activate it!   I would not purchase it under any circumstances unless it could be de-activated.  Not even the best camera made at a very low cost - Touch Screen is a permanent show stopper for me.

Hear!! Hear!!!  I don't care if they do include touch screen (except for the incremental price creep) but I MUST BE ABLE TO TURN IT OFF.  I personally WILL NEVER use a touch screen on a camera.  Leave that for phones.  It's bad enough there.

First: I have fat fingers and Touch screen on ANYTHING is never accurate.  I always get something started that I didn't touch!  I hate that 

I have skinny fingers and very good dexterity and I frequently have the same thing happen. I do not like touch screens!

ON the touchscreen debate. I don't care if it has one as long as it can be turned off. But as to why I care if it has one and that can't be turned off. I use my camera by feel in a lot of circumstances. I know where hte SS dial is and can change it without looking or moving camera I could not do that on a touch screen. Equally I am so stoked about th ejoystick becuase i will be able to move focus point. A touchscreen that means every inadvertant touch moved the focus point would be my idea of a nightmare.

By the way the X Cameras do have touch focus if you own a smartphone. Just pair the camera and you can touch focus on the phones screen great for stealth or different POV on the street. YOu can hold the camera down at your side, or leave it hanging round your neck while you look at your phone. What is more natural than someone looking down at their phone and pressig its screen.