#21 George_P

George_P

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 111 posts
  • LocationBratislava

Posted 06 June 2016 - 10:26 AM

Advertisement (Gone after free registration)

Teach me. What's wrong with that. I am not on many forums, I have limited experience. I used my name because I want to stand by what I say and not "hide" behind an anonymous nick. If it would have been taken I would choose something else but since it was free I didn't see a reason to use something else.

X-T10 | 8mm | 18-55 | 35/2 | 90 | 50-230 | FlashQ

#22 milandro

milandro

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,738 posts

Posted 06 June 2016 - 10:43 AM

This is still a very small forum. I am a long standing member in fora operating for over 25 years, where there are many more members than here.

Name duplication, when you use a name, for your monicker, as common as Mike or George, are common.

It is virtually impossible to claim “ ownership” of names or avatars (unless it is your own picture like in your case an Mike G’s case) .

Using a monicker that isn’t your first name is a good way to avoid overlaps. This forum has plenty of possible things like that many seem to favor their first name.

So we have a Marcel and a Marcelo, Marcelo_Valente, Marcello, marc, Marc B, Marc G.

But we have Michael G ( also a potential Mike G?),  Mike ( should he trump them all?), Mike B, Mike K, Mike KC ( Oh boy confusion!), MikeG, MikeM... .

There is a georg and a georged, and a number of similar variation.

So Mike G is as different from MikeG as any other name.

Yes, a member could voluntarily  relinquish his name (this forum allows you to change your monicker and the system will display your monicker history showing the changes) but with a name like that sooner or later there will be someone else accessing the system which cannot account for any minimal variation on the name Mike an G. (mike g, mike_g, mike-g, MiKEG...)

These things happen and the longer this forum will exist the more these things will happen.

Personally I found more annoying people whom use same avatars because THAT is really much more confusing.

Relax in the word is the word.

I see you’ve changed, after this conversation, your monicker from George to George_P, which I suppose means that you saw how, having a monicker with your own name only would be asking for problems some time down the line because some other George would register.

Edited by milandro, 06 June 2016 - 12:25 PM.

the popular expression wishful thinking is an oxymoron!

To all TAPATALK users

As a form of courtesy towards your fellow users of this forum, PLEASE remove the obnoxious tapatalk signature, it adds nothing to anyone’s contribution and it is only a sneaky way used by tapatalk to push their product by polluting each forum participant with promoting their products with unpaid advertising for their software and the brand of your phone. Removing it is easy and it is an act of courtesy that shows respect for all those whom are annoyed by this pointless feature. This is not a personal attack to you, the annoyance is caused by tapatalk and the phone or tablet brands, they are getting all the exposure and you gain nothing by this.

#23 George_P

George_P

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 111 posts
  • LocationBratislava

Posted 06 June 2016 - 02:30 PM

It means I don't give a damn, I am relaxed and it will not be kingly, hopefully.

#24 milandro

milandro

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,738 posts

Posted 06 June 2016 - 02:34 PM

In that case you could have left the monicker to George, but , of course it is your very good right Sir to do whatever you want just as it is the one of MikeG to call himself that way. ( Please, indulge me, “ what’s  it will not be kingly?”  I am not familiar with this expression and its meaning or sense completely escapes me, sorry about that.)

Edited by milandro, 06 June 2016 - 02:56 PM.

To all TAPATALK users

As a form of courtesy towards your fellow users of this forum, PLEASE remove the obnoxious tapatalk signature, it adds nothing to anyone’s contribution and it is only a sneaky way used by tapatalk to push their product by polluting each forum participant with promoting their products with unpaid advertising for their software and the brand of your phone. Removing it is easy and it is an act of courtesy that shows respect for all those whom are annoyed by this pointless feature. This is not a personal attack to you, the annoyance is caused by tapatalk and the phone or tablet brands, they are getting all the exposure and you gain nothing by this.

#25 George_P

George_P

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 111 posts
  • LocationBratislava

Posted 06 June 2016 - 02:56 PM

like when someone who is called George will register himself as george?

How about George II? Very kingly.

You produced that at 11:20 am so you could ask yourself what you meant by that. Never mind. This is way too far off topic already. brgds

#26 milandro

milandro

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,738 posts

Posted 06 June 2016 - 02:58 PM

I see, it is like king George the second 

But you preferred George_P

Not kingly for sure, kings and royals have the prerogative to sign with their name ( which sometimes is a chosen monicker too, like for Popes) and they don’t use ordinals but might use the R to  signify their kingly status if indeed are a reigning sovereign.

Edited by milandro, 07 June 2016 - 07:57 AM.

To all TAPATALK users

#27 Mike G

Mike G

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 489 posts
  • LocationLondon

Posted 07 June 2016 - 07:48 AM

I apologise to MikeG, I'm afraid I jumped in far to quickly(bad habit of mine). I had thought my name was unique, bloody hell of course it isn't!

One day I would like to meet the other MikeG and buy him a beer and have a chat, who knows!

Edited by Mike G, 09 June 2016 - 08:41 PM.

• MikeG likes this

#28 milandro

milandro

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,738 posts

Posted 07 June 2016 - 07:49 AM

I am sure both of you are good chaps! Cheers!

To all TAPATALK users

#29 MikeG

MikeG

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 09 June 2016 - 04:28 PM

I apologise to MikeG, I'm afraid I jumped in far to quickly(bad habit of mine). I had thought my name was unique, bloody hell of course it isn't!

One day I would like to meet the other MikG buy him a beer and have a chat, who knows!

Absolutely no apology needed, Mike! These things happen. If there is a moral lurking somewhere in this story I guess it must be "Use a random 'Username Generator' when joining anything in internet-land!" By the way, the beer idea sounds good. 

#30 RainerB

RainerB

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 09 June 2016 - 05:21 PM

Mike, did you try RAW Therapee? It's free and I like it better than LR5, which I sold.

• MikeG likes this

#31 Scalatron

Scalatron

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 10 June 2016 - 10:32 AM

Before this thread got hi-jacked the OP was asking about RAW processors. He's right LR 5.7.1 doesn't support X-T10 RAF's, as it came out just afterwards. Incidentally Photoshop CS6 does support it through ACR 9.1. I've never tried Irident, although I've heard good reports.

I use RawTheapee as my default processor and can't rate it highly enough. It's very powerful and specifically supports X-trans sensors. It can be a bit intimidating at first but stick with it and you get great results - I find the fine detail rendering and tonal subtlety I get is way better than Adobe. I sometimes save as an unsharpend TIFF and then selectively sharpen in Photoshop.

Another RAW processor I used with my Sony (before I saw the light!) was Capture One. It really made my Sony files pop but I wasn't as impressed with the results from my Fuji - your mileage may vary. You can download a trial of Capture One but it is quite processor intensive.

Lasty Silkypix works well as a quick and dirty processor with full compatibility with Fuji's film simulations. I found it a bit clumsy but it has it's fans and it's endorsed by Fuji.

Edited by Scalatron, 10 June 2016 - 10:33 AM.

• MikeG likes this

#32 milandro

milandro

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,738 posts

Posted 10 June 2016 - 10:42 AM

The problem OP was trying to fix was that I could’t open the X-T10 raw files in the LR version which he has on a 10 year old computer (which might be able, or not, to take other programs that you are suggesting).

ExifChanger should work the treat you modify the Exif to one that LR recognizes and then everything works.

To all TAPATALK users

#33 Mike G

Mike G

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 489 posts
  • LocationLondon

Posted 11 June 2016 - 11:38 AM

According to the Adobe help site the minimum Lr version to load X-T10 RAF files is Lr 6.1

#34 milandro

milandro

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,738 posts

Posted 11 June 2016 - 11:42 AM

by means of that program mentioned above, ExifChanger, you can fool the program to think the camera that shot the picture was one , like the X-E2 or X-T1 which earlier versions do recognize

To all TAPATALK users

#35 MikeG

MikeG

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 12 June 2016 - 09:49 PM

Mike, did you try RAW Therapee? It's free and I like it better than LR5, which I sold.

I've downloaded it & a couple of others such as Iridient Developer and Darktable. At the moment I'm in the process of rationalising & consolidating the photos on my iMac, which are currently spread over the computer hard disk & an outboard disk in a variety of folders. Once I've got that done I plan to turn my attention to evaluating a selection of RAW processors. Having had a quick look, I quite like Iridient Developer & RAW Therapee, so will give them both a good 'road test' soon. I'm also planning to upgrade to a newer iMac soon, so I will also be able to run the newer version of Lightroom.

I'm *thinking* of using mainly Lightroom for day to day use, but using a separate RAW processor for getting the detail out that Lightroom can't. 

#36 MikeG

MikeG

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 12 June 2016 - 10:00 PM

Before this thread got hi-jacked the OP was asking about RAW processors. He's right LR 5.7.1 doesn't support X-T10 RAF's, as it came out just afterwards. Incidentally Photoshop CS6 does support it through ACR 9.1. I've never tried Irident, although I've heard good reports.

I use RawTheapee as my default processor and can't rate it highly enough. It's very powerful and specifically supports X-trans sensors. It can be a bit intimidating at first but stick with it and you get great results - I find the fine detail rendering and tonal subtlety I get is way better than Adobe. I sometimes save as an unsharpend TIFF and then selectively sharpen in Photoshop.

Another RAW processor I used with my Sony (before I saw the light!) was Capture One. It really made my Sony files pop but I wasn't as impressed with the results from my Fuji - your mileage may vary. You can download a trial of Capture One but it is quite processor intensive.

Lasty Silkypix works well as a quick and dirty processor with full compatibility with Fuji's film simulations. I found it a bit clumsy but it has it's fans and it's endorsed by Fuji.

Thanks for that. I've had a quick look & play with Iridient & RawTherapee & both look quite good. I'm currently tidying up all my photos which are spread across several files on a couple of hard disks. Once I've got that done I will give Iridient & RawTherapee a thorough comparison. Capture One is out of the question price wise. What I'm thinking of doing longer term, given that Apple have abandoned Aperture, is using Lightroom as my principal photo storage / cataloguing / viewing app, but with the option of using whichever RAW processor gets the best out of the files for editing the best shots; does that sound reasonable? 

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Hello, X-T10, Newbie, Lightroom, Iridient, iMac, RAW