Fuji Open Zoo Thread ...

Enzio

So I went to the zoo with a 35mm f/1.4 and 18-55 that didn't leave my bag. I immediatly thought : what about we humans get into small show-boxes and lose our liberty for the profit of another specy? Aren't the humans some strange animals worth documenting after all? Just a thought I tried to translate into pictures, no morals here. Disclaimer : technically imperfect pictures, OOC jpegs.

18317505442_b273fa88b8_b.jpgDSCF6204 by Christophe Branchereau, on Flickr

18321475725_fcf7ac0588_b.jpgDSCF6203 by Christophe Branchereau, on Flickr

17698624054_5a045f5f8b_b.jpgDSCF6208 by Christophe Branchereau, on Flickr

18322627121_067a52e20f_b.jpgDSCF6209 by Christophe Branchereau, on Flickr

17700420503_154088026a_b.jpgDSCF6216 by Christophe Branchereau, on Flickr

18133179308_0613763053_b.jpgDSCF6217 by Christophe Branchereau, on Flickr

18316896362_cf3e23ef14_b.jpgDSCF6221 by Christophe Branchereau, on Flickr

18294150276_12225547cf_b.jpgDSCF6233 by Christophe Branchereau, on Flickr

18134118969_a3e2c4cb42_b.jpgDSCF6247 by Christophe Branchereau, on Flickr

So I went to the zoo with a 35mm f/1.4 and 18-55 that didn't leave my bag. I immediatly thought : what about we humans get into small show-boxes and lose our liberty for the profit of another specy? Aren't the humans some strange animals worth documenting after all? Just a thought I tried to translate into pictures, no morals here. Disclaimer : technically imperfect pictures, OOC jpegs.

18317505442_b273fa88b8_b.jpgDSCF6204 by Christophe Branchereau, on Flickr

18321475725_fcf7ac0588_b.jpgDSCF6203 by Christophe Branchereau, on Flickr

17698624054_5a045f5f8b_b.jpgDSCF6208 by Christophe Branchereau, on Flickr

18322627121_067a52e20f_b.jpgDSCF6209 by Christophe Branchereau, on Flickr

17700420503_154088026a_b.jpgDSCF6216 by Christophe Branchereau, on Flickr

18133179308_0613763053_b.jpgDSCF6217 by Christophe Branchereau, on Flickr

18316896362_cf3e23ef14_b.jpgDSCF6221 by Christophe Branchereau, on Flickr

18294150276_12225547cf_b.jpgDSCF6233 by Christophe Branchereau, on Flickr

18134118969_a3e2c4cb42_b.jpgDSCF6247 by Christophe Branchereau, on Flickr

Hi,

sorry but I don't get the point. Why did you poste these pics? Looks just like snapshots from the zoo... 

I miss something special, an interesting composition or a situation with some content. 

Greetings 

Harry 

Hi, Please don't quote my whole long message in your message, it's really unnecessary.

I've refined the project as a flickr Album since then, it's here : https://www.flickr.com/photos/132271152@N08/sets/72157653375780539

Someone got it already, it's about an overturn of point of view. Also compositions are on purpose. You don't often see zoo pictures including fences or people zooming almost directly on the head of the animals for a good reason : zoo pictures are some kind of propaganda pretending the animals are happy and "free", or simply to present them the best possible way.

I present a different point of view. I won't explain everything, but the point of view turns, and at some point you see people behind fences. People actually paid to put themselves behind fences heh, funny not?

Overall the pictures represent how I felt that day and I tried to turn it into a story

(disclaimer : I hate zoos like this one, was there for a 2 yo not for me, and didn't want to get into the train of people assaulting the animals with huge zooms while their kids stomp on the windows because I'm not one who thinks it's ok to capture a polar bear and put it in France to make money with it. I have nothing against animal "parks" or "educative farms" tho where local or totally adapted animals have a lot of space to live)

This is counter-propaganda if you like, although I could have get really dirty and showed (or exagerated) how miserable the polar bear looked, how unhappy the lama was (I just suggested it there) or how the long haired wolf was running in circles forever in 3 square meters.

Now before you judge me as being negative, I'm not, I just document stuff. Here is an album of a park where animals are all very happy and live in great synergy with the humans working there and the public : https://www.flickr.com/photos/132271152@N08/sets/72157653723456006

Hi, Please don't quote my whole long message in your message, it's really unnecessary.

I've refined the project as a flickr Album since then, it's here : https://www.flickr.com/photos/132271152@N08/sets/72157653375780539

Someone got it already, it's about an overturn of point of view. Also compositions are on purpose. You don't often see zoo pictures including fences or people zooming almost directly on the head of the animals for a good reason : zoo pictures are some kind of propaganda pretending the animals are happy and "free", or simply to present them the best possible way.

I present a different point of view. I won't explain everything, but the point of view turns, and at some point you see people behind fences. People actually paid to put themselves behind fences heh, funny not?

Overall the pictures represent how I felt that day and I tried to turn it into a story

(disclaimer : I hate zoos like this one, was there for a 2 yo not for me, and didn't want to get into the train of people assaulting the animals with huge zooms while their kids stomp on the windows because I'm not one who thinks it's ok to capture a polar bear and put it in France to make money with it. I have nothing against animal "parks" or "educative farms" tho where local or totally adapted animals have a lot of space to live)

This is counter-propaganda if you like, although I could have get really dirty and showed (or exagerated) how miserable the polar bear looked, how unhappy the lama was (I just suggested it there) or how the long haired wolf was running in circles forever in 3 square meters.

Now before you judge me as being negative, I'm not, I just document stuff. Here is an album of a park where animals are all very happy and live in great synergy with the humans working there and the public : https://www.flickr.com/photos/132271152@N08/sets/72157653723456006

Hi,

I think I got the point already at first sight. Nice idea! But still I think that the pictures are not really interesting or well done. Sorry - no trolling but that's simply how I see these pics. I think there should still be some kind of story (e.g. people acting like monkeys themselves or eating like a pig.). But here - in my eyes - it's just pictures of people outside the fence that you can find in thousands of family albums or Facebook pages... 

But I'm totally with you when it comes to criticize zoos. That's why I never visit them. 

And by the way: how can I not post all the pictures when I just want to reply? I didn't find the right button. 

Cheers

HArry 

No problem, I'm trying to work on photobomb, "failed" or generally falsely naive picture done on purpose, and there is a long way before I manage to make it maybe more obvious, personally I like these pictures because there is attention paid to the framing and position of people in every single one so even if it's certainly not very good it's not brainless snapshots at all.

Maybe you are right and I should keep that for myself tho, and begin sharing only when I'll reach a better level.

Cheers, and you can just edit the quote (replace the content with "..." Or something)

• 2 weeks later...

Our local "animal park" is not photography friendly but does seem to be animal friendly. Since there is not generally a good way to avoid the fencing in the images I tried to get some shots that at least integrated it. The guy in most of these images was our tour guide and had climbed a barrier fence to close enough to offer the residents some food.

Laughing Hyenas

18879687706_3f9b02bce5_n.jpg

DSCF7768 by Michael Mount, on Flickr

Bear

18879693556_59d94632ac_n.jpg

DSCF7779 by Michael Mount, on Flickr

Lemurs

18285319573_1921549d04_n.jpg

DSCF7789 by Michael Mount, on Flickr

Feeding a tiger costs extra

18283445454_2ffa5e42de_n.jpg

DSCF7875 by Michael Mount, on Flickr

A tiger waiting room

18718294920_ec7081704d_n.jpg

DSCF7840 by Michael Mount, on Flickr

Not as impressive as the other images on this thread, I know, but I do think they show the experience fairly well.

Edit: These are all taken with an X-T1 and 18-135mm

Thanks for looking,

Mike

• 2 weeks later...