• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1 jedbest

jedbest

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 25 May 2016 - 08:27 PM

Advertisement (Gone after free registration)

I was wondering if anyone besides myself has experienced the eyepiece from an X-Pro 2 coming off. The camera was not dropped or banged around but two days ago I noticed that the rubber eyepiece missing. It seems that Fuji considers it part of the body and does  not sell the eyepiece separately as a part.

Thanks

Jed Best

• jasdav likes this

#2 Display_Name

Display_Name

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 12 June 2016 - 02:17 PM

Hi Jed,

Join the club here: http://www.fuji-x-fo...o-2/#entry29325

#3 skmerkel

skmerkel

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 11 July 2016 - 03:29 AM

YES I HAVE!! Lost mine a couple of weeks ago. They first told me that they would send me the ring but when I called back they said I needed to send it in. Big bummer Fuji...this is a two month old camera.

Sharon

#4 abonhamc

abonhamc

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 11 July 2016 - 04:15 AM

I think they're concerned with the water resistance being compromised, but surely cutting the aluminum body differently to seal out moisture despite the eyepiece would have been a smarter move on their part. That eye cup should not expose electronics if it gets ripped off. Oh well, probably a thin bead of sugru or a nice-fitting oring would fill the void nicely.

#5 rxlouie

rxlouie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 14 July 2016 - 11:39 PM

Yes they come off way too easy.  I called Fuji North America and they want $5 for the eyepiece but $15.50 for shipping!  It's almost $23 after taxes.  Crazy!  I luckily found what I thought was a lost one in my bag so I sprayed a little hairspray on it before I put it on.  Seems to hold better.  Time will tell.

If someone wants the part # it's BF00015761-100 - CONST EYE PIECE

• rrrrrichard likes this

#6 skmerkel

skmerkel

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 15 July 2016 - 02:01 PM

Yes they come off way too easy. I called Fuji North America and they want $5 for the eyepiece but $15.50 for shipping! It's almost $23 after taxes. Crazy! I luckily found what I thought was a lost one in my bag so I sprayed a little hairspray on it before I put it on. Seems to hold better. Time will tell.

If someone wants the part # it's BF00015761-100 - CONST EYE PIECE

So you can buy it??

Sharon

#7 skmerkel

skmerkel

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 15 July 2016 - 02:54 PM

Just contacted Fuji North America. In an email they offered to send me the piece free of charge with the serial number of the camera or the purchase receipt. Awesome.

Sharon
  • rrrrrichard likes this

#8 abonhamc

abonhamc

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 17 July 2016 - 07:02 PM

Very cool, Sharon. They are probably exhausted by all the cameras arriving for eye cup replacement.

#9 skmerkel

skmerkel

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 18 July 2016 - 12:47 PM

Yes I think so. Their first response was less than to be desired but this was great. Hope I get it soon.

Sharon

#10 jhjl

jhjl

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 18 July 2016 - 02:09 PM

I have just spoken to Fuji UK and they are adamant that the rubber part should not come detached and that they must replace the whole viewfinder assembly.  They are aware that the USA are taking a different stance but are concerned that if the part is user installed, it may come off again :(  Very disappointing  :(

#11 skmerkel

skmerkel

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 19 July 2016 - 03:00 AM

That stinks. Just a little glue will keep it in.

Sharon

#12 jhjl

jhjl

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 22 July 2016 - 08:35 PM

Exciting news, Fuji sent me a replacement eyecup yesterday and I received it and fitted it this morning! Happy days.

I am contemplating applying a couple of spots of hot glue to keep it in place, any thoughts on the efficacy of doing this?

In my to and through with FujiFilm Worldwide support, I mentioned that I wanted part BF00015761-100 - CONST EYE PIECE. Their investigations informed them that this is the complete viewfinder assembly, not the eye cup.

I got the impression from my correspondence with Fuji that they located and sent me the eye cup to me as a courtesy; there was no indication that they are generally available. Your mileage may differ!

#13 addicted2light

addicted2light

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 131 posts
  • LocationItaly

Posted 23 July 2016 - 08:50 AM

If I were you I wouldn't use hot glue, but a bit of thread locking adhesive:

https://en.m.wikiped...d-locking_fluid

It will hold better, even in hot conditions, and with a bit of force you will still be able to unscrew the eyepiece should you want to (for example if an extended one shoul become available).

www.addicted2light.com

www.facebook.com/addicted2light

“You cannot depend on your eyes if your imagination is out of focus” Mark Twain

#14 jhjl

jhjl

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 23 July 2016 - 10:32 AM

If I were you I wouldn't use hot glue, but a bit of thread locking adhesive:

https://en.m.wikiped...d-locking_fluid

It will hold better, even in hot conditions, and with a bit of force you will still be able to unscrew the eyepiece should you want to (for example if an extended one shoul become available).

Interesting, I have not heard of this product before. Reading the descriptions seems to imply the Loctite products are for metal to metal threads, had anyone tried this with rubber to metal?

#15 addicted2light

addicted2light

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 131 posts
  • LocationItaly

Posted 23 July 2016 - 10:50 AM

Interesting, I have not heard of this product before. Reading the descriptions seems to imply the Loctite products are for metal to metal threads, had anyone tried this with rubber to metal?

Now I'm confused: isn't the threaded part of the eyepiece made of metal? All it takes is a drop or two, so if you're worried from the possible consequences of the contact between the Loctite and the rubber part you can be careful and just "paint" a bit of the metal thread on the far side, avoiding the rubbery section.

If instead the thread itself is made of rubber, or rubberized, than sorry but I've no experience in this regard. Maybe you could ask Loctite's (or one of the other manufacturers) customer service directly?

I use this kind of product in situations where vibrations can unscrew a piece, mostly on bicycles or on the screws that keeps my tripod locks together*.

*Not necessary for general use, but I keep an heavy tripod in the trunk of my car at all times, and the vibrations tend to unscrew the locks with time.

www.addicted2light.com

#16 abonhamc

abonhamc

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 23 July 2016 - 11:45 PM

The X-Pro2's eyecup has no threads, it is basically a rubber o-ring sticker stuck to metal body and held in place by rubber tabs on the underside of the cup. Loctite will not work on it.

#17 addicted2light

addicted2light

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 131 posts
  • LocationItaly

Posted 24 July 2016 - 07:41 AM

The X-Pro2's eyecup has no threads, it is basically a rubber o-ring sticker stuck to metal body and held in place by rubber tabs on the underside of the cup. Loctite will not work on it.

Sorry for the short rant, but why Fuji (and most other manufacturers, for that matter) had to reinvent the wheel? The film camera era screw in eyepiece that even Fuji used on most of their medium format cameras worked a threat, was consistent across the line and you could easily interchange it for a bigger eyepiece or for correction lenses (for example if you had some peculiar eye defect not covered by the integrated diopter, if present) if you wished so. Now every friggin' camera has its own special eyepiece, assuming you can interchange it at all. Super annoying and unprofessional.

End rant.   ^_^

Anyway, at this point I would use a thin layer of either Sugru, liquid rubber or black silicon-based sealant (the one used for bathrooms and windows panes) on the outside of the ring, where it joins the camera. The products I've recommended should all be rubber-friendly, but check the label first just to be sure.

Edited by addicted2light, 24 July 2016 - 07:42 AM.

www.addicted2light.com

#18 abonhamc

abonhamc

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 25 July 2016 - 05:44 AM

I'm with you on the sugru, but really, with care, I don't think these things are just flying off of the camera. I pulled mine off on purpose and was impressed with the adhesion.

#19 blank0

blank0

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 14 August 2016 - 03:46 PM

I'm pretty sure this is a manufacturing defect. It happened to my camera and Fujifilm's service center in Singapore replaced it without charge, within a day.  When I went to pick up the camera, there was another gentleman there who had the same issue and he had his replaced by a service center in Japan while he was traveling there.

A part like this which is not supposed to be removable, shouldn't come off so easily so often. My cameras are used for work so they do take a bit of a beating, but I expect a 'pro' camera to be somewhat durable. Hence my thinking that this is a manufacturing defect and should be on Fuji to replace. Happy they did so in my case!

#20 gtrent733

gtrent733

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 20 April 2017 - 10:46 PM

Well, evidently they haven't fixed this eyepiece issue. It is April 2017 and my XPRO2 is only 5 months old and I just discovered the eyepiece was missing. Not in the camera bag so it fell off on my last shoot which was just a photo walk so nothing extreme.

x

Registration is free

Not registered? Really?

Discover the full potential of the Fuji X Forum... register now!
Registration is free and done in a few minutes!

As registered member you can discuss, post your questions and present your images.
And get in contact with Fuji X photographers worldwide!

We are looking forward to you!

The Fuji X Forum Team

Register Close