ON1 announces new RAW processor

I don't like the subscription model either, but I'm also pretty tired of Adobe's lack of interest in supporting X-Trans files.  The Fuji files  are much slower to import, slow to generate previews, when moving from one file to the next I get the loading message all the time.  And the demosaicing, although much improved, is still subpar compared to Iridient Developer.

I never had these issues with Canon or Olympus raw files.

This is no new "RAW processor".  On a Mac it just uses apple's existing subsystem to de-mosaic RAW files.  From a RAW standpoint it's no different than Photos or Aperture.  Sure, the editing interface has more bells and whistles, but that's different.  That has nothing to do with an actually new "RAW processor".

They don't disclose their de-mosaic program for the PC but, given the situation on the mac, I suspect it's some open source package that they did not develop themselves.

Update on 6/4: they have now clarified that Photo 10 and Suite 9.5 use Apple's RAW processing but Photo RAW will not.

Edited by kimballistic

Adobe is forcing me to leave Lightroom. I refuse to pay the subscription and the current purchased version is their last. Obviously I'm not interested in another software that is subscription... but I'll have to make a choice of something else at some point.

If it is a subsciption model with a yearly fee I defintely will not buy it.

It is and it isn't. There will be a standalone price as you can read on their website. And – different to Adobe – you can quit your subscription and keep using the software in its current state – you simply won't get any more updates.

I hate subscription software but this is very different from what Adobe is doing.

Edited by Jano

It is and it isn't. There will be a standalone price as you can read on their website. And – different to Adobe – you can quit your subscription and keep using the software in its current state – you simply won't get any more updates.

I hate subscription software but this is very different from what Adobe is doing.

Hi,

where is the notice about standalone price?

• 3 weeks later...

Here is from on1 website:

"Can I pre-order ON1 Photo RAW?

You can be the first to get ON1 Photo RAW (available Fall 2016) by becoming an ON1 Plus Pro member today. If you want to pre-order the software only, please contact Customer Support. Photo RAW will never require a subscription and will be available for purchase by itself later this year."

This is no new "RAW processor".  On a Mac it just uses apple's existing subsystem to de-mosaic RAW files.  From a RAW standpoint it's no different than Photos or Aperture.  Sure, the editing interface has more bells and whistles, but that's different.  That has nothing to do with an actually new "RAW processor".

They don't disclose their de-mosaic program for the PC but, given the situation on the mac, I suspect it's some open source package that they did not develop themselves.

I am shocked, if that is indeed the case! What do you base this information on?

I am shocked, if that is indeed the case! What do you base this information on?

I wrote that when their FAQ linked to a support page that explicitly stated it.

They have now updated that support page to clarify that Photo RAW will not be based on Apple's RAW subsystem.  The support page was referring to ON1's other products that use Apple's RAW subsystem, Photo 10 and Suite 9.5.

https://on1help.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/206277847

So what I wrote is now incorrect, however I'm still very skeptical that they can develop a brand-new RAW processor with support for over "800  cameras" in version 1.0.  Something is fishy there.