ND filters

LeninM

You'll need the 100mm system for the 14 and 10-24, although you might get away with the seven5 with the 16 (but only just). You'll also need the wide angle adaptor rings: I have the Lee 72 and 77 WA rings (for the 10-24 and 16-55 respectively) but use cheap stepping rings for other lenses, such as a 52 for my 35/1.4. Should be no problem to adapt to the 35/2, but prepare yourself for the cost of the 100mm system - it ain't cheap!

Ian.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Based on the Lee system match, the 14mm f2.8 should work without issue on the seven5 system. But the 10-24 is marked as not compatible:
http://www.leefilters.com/index.php/camera/system-match

However, I found a blog post where someone was able to use the seven5 system with the 10-24 by removing the second slot:

https://richardbowdenphotography.wordpress.com/2014/07/21/can-you-use-lee-seven5-filters-with-a-fuji-10-24mm-lens/

I currently have only one lee filter which is the big stopper (100mm). But as I'm moving to Fuji, I also consider selling my filter and buy a seven5 kit. I'm not decided, because while seven5 is cheaper, the 100mm is for sure a better long-term solution; it will last many years and who knows which camera/lens you will be using in next 4-5 years.. 

• 1 month later...

I recently bought a set of Haida ND filters, and I'm very pleased with the quality. Very little color cast, just a tiny shift to yellow, but much less than I've seen in sample images that used Lee and Hoya.

I opted for screw-on filters rather than square for two reasons: I've not been able to stack square filters because of light leaking in between them creating flares and smudges – and I find it inconvenient with having to carry the adapter rings and filter holders in addition to the larger filters. My set of three Haida filters screw together into a convenient puck that's pocketable.

Here are two photos taken with Haida filters, and an X-E2:

https://www.instagram.com/p/BGaAecVC3GA/ (~10 minute exposure, XF 18-135mm, ND1000 + ND64 stacked)

https://www.instagram.com/p/BGUYaK8C3Ao (~10 minute exposure, Samyang 12mm, ND1000 + ND64 stacked)

I have a set of step-up rings to use the filters on lenses with smaller diameters.

The Haida screw-on filters are available in sizes up to 82mm, so they should work with the XF 10-24mm. There's also a 100mm and 150mm square series.

If you've got Photoshop, you can combine several medium-long exposures into one very long exposure, cutting down the need for excessive ND filters; look up 'mean' stacking.

It's still best to use an ND filter, to cut down on the number of photos you need to take to reach your desired exposure time, but it at least means you don't need to worry about the hassle and expense of things like the Lee system; use plain old screw-in ND filters, like the ones B+W, Tiffen, and Hoya make, instead. Added benefit is slightly more accurate colours and a sharper picture, as haze becomes a non-issue, and less noise as there's no chance of the sensor gathering enough heat to cause thermal noise. In other words, ten 30-second exposures stacked up in Photoshop simply produce a higher-quality image than one 5-minute exposure, and it's much easier to get an ND filter which can cut the light down for a 30-second exposure than it is to get one which cuts enough light to achieve 5-minutes.

'Course, Photoshop isn't for everyone. Totally cool if you want to do it the 'real' way. Just thought I'd throw this out there as an additional option for people interested in very long exposure but maybe turned off by the apparent need for some of these cumbersome and expensive ND filter systems.

Edited by aceflibble

One thing to bring into attention, there have been several reports that even with the 100mm Lee filter holder, the 14-24 lens has some vignetting @14.

It might not be much, but better to know about it first.

Another alternative would be Benro, they are doing quite decent filters with a slight green color shift in their big stopper, nothing really major and it's only noticeable under very specific circumstances.

For the rest of their line up, it's quite good and priced correctly for their quality.

• 1 month later...

Hi All,

Relatively new XT shooter here, transferring over from Canon. I am looking into getting some ND filters and I read somewhere that they don't always work with Mirrorless camera's, that appears to not be true reading the posts above already on this topic, correct?

I have the Lee Seven5 system and can confirm that there is no vignetting using the Fuji 14mm - which supports what i'd read prior to ordering it as well.

• I ran through a few quick tests once i got it (f2.8 and f22, near and far focus) and there was no vignetting at all using 1 and 2 lee filters at the same time.
  • In practice i've found the same to be true
  • I read a thread where someone experienced reflections from the printing on the front of the lens during long exposures with the 14mm.
    • I cut out a ring of flocking material and covered the print with it - i've had 0 issues with it in practice.

The other reviews that i read stated:

• The Seven5 system starts to vignette around 12mm using the fuji 10-22
  • It shows no vignetting using the Rokinon/Samyang 12mm.
  • I don't have either of those lenses so i can't confirm or deny. 

I've used the Lee 100 system with medium and large format cameras in the past and really like it but the size of the 100mm setup was too much for me to deal with with the fuji. I use a smaller bag and carry less gear. 

Along with the Seven5 filters, holder, and rings i bought the Vu Filter system case. It costs 1/2 what the Lee case does, and will hold the entire Seven5 system (and more filters than i'll ever have). The whole thing slides perfectly into one of the side pockets of my Domke bag. 

The cost of the 75mm filters and adapter rings is significantly less than the 100 system as well. Speccing out the costs between the 2 it was cheaper to buy the 3 Seven5 filters i wanted, the holder, 3 rings, and the case than it was to buy 2 100mm filters and 3 rings.

So now I have a good 100mm setup for b&w MF/LF photography (which is all i ever shoot with those cameras anyway) and a good setup for my APSc digital photography (NDs/Grads).

I am looking into getting some ND filters and I read somewhere that they don't always work with Mirrorless camera's, that appears to not be true reading the posts above already on this topic, correct?

If you could dig up the links and share that'd be great. i can't imagine why someone would think they "wouldn't work,", they certainly do.

Here are few examples:

• 2 weeks later...

I'll chime in that I recently switched over to Breakthrough ND filters (screw on type) and they're optically excellent with minimal color cast. May be worth taking a look if you want great image quality without the hassle of a mounting system.

While no one mentioned Vari. ND, I bought a cheap Vivitar 49mm for my X 70... I have regular ND for my X T1.....   And... It's unusable!  Only with mirrorless, and at full strength (10x).   The EV difference between two corners and the center is over 3EV...  I have a friend with an X 70 using a more expensive vari. ND, and it works "pretty" well...  My advice:  be careful using Vari. filters...  I have no issues with fixed ND's.