Clicky

Photo

XF120mmF2.8 Canceled! :: XF80mm Macro Coming!

• Please log in to reply
46 replies to this topic

#21 William james

William james

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 24 May 2016 - 04:48 PM

Advertisement (Gone after free registration)

XF120mmF2.8 :: Fuji goes for a shorter focal length (below 100mm)!

more details on FujiRumors: http://www.fujirumor...gth-below-100mm

It would be great if Fuji said they were going to make a lens, then actually make it, instead of remaking lenses already in the line up. I've given up on the macro,,,,,, got a tamron 90 mm with cheap adaptor, only manual focus but great results.
  • William james and rrrrrichard like this

#22 rrrrrichard

rrrrrichard

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 41 posts
  • LocationSan Francisco

Posted 24 May 2016 - 10:13 PM

It would be great if Fuji said they were going to make a lens, then actually make it, instead of remaking lenses already in the line up. I've given up on the macro,,,,,, got a tamron 90 mm with cheap adaptor, only manual focus but great results.

I fear this is a very stupid question, but I haven't given any attention to adapting lenses to the X-mount. Did you get a Tamron with VC, and does the adapter supply voltage and does it actually work? Seems extremely unlikely to me, but...

#23 darknj

darknj

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 765 posts
  • LocationBelgium

Posted 25 May 2016 - 08:49 AM

I fear this is a very stupid question, but I haven't given any attention to adapting lenses to the X-mount. Did you get a Tamron with VC, and does the adapter supply voltage and does it actually work? Seems extremely unlikely to me, but...

There aren't any "smart" adapter, at least as far as I know, that works on the Fuji body with other lenses, all of them lose the connector with the aperture control and need to manual focus.

Hence some of us prefer to use legacy lenses where the aperture control is still on the lens instead of being on the camera body.

#24 Twigwater

Twigwater

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • LocationNSW, Australia

Posted 26 May 2016 - 11:11 AM

Speaking as an outsider looking in on the Fuji lens line-up -

They're missing out not having a 1:1 macro IMHO and that's one of the (few) things that holds me back from switching over.

I need life size without the mess of adapters or extensions or weight.

Anything around 100mm (FF) would be good enough in my book and, like the CaNikon's, make a pretty handy close quarters portrait lens as well.

The idea of the 120 macro with 1:1 did appeal to me as a good tele lens / macro combination in the field, but

I see it as an additional macro, not the only one.

For the fly fishing stuff I shoot, a 16 1.4 , 35 f2, 56 1.2, 90 f2, 50 or 80 1:1 macro and something like a 120 would be awesome.

• rrrrrichard likes this

#25 madsector

madsector

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • LocationEurope

Posted 26 May 2016 - 06:36 PM

For me this decision only makes sense if the XF80 macro will be compatible with the tele converters. But if this would be the case I would be highly interested!

Fuji X-Pro2, X-Pro1, X100, X20

#26 Patrick FR

Patrick FR

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 866 posts
  • LocationTOP SECRET

Posted 10 June 2016 - 11:33 AM

80mm currently planed without OIS: http://www.fujirumor...ed-without-ois/

design not final, yet

#27 milandro

milandro

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,694 posts

Posted 10 June 2016 - 11:49 AM

Oh man! How are we going to do without OIS (  Tongue-in-cheek alert!)...  :blink:

Gone are the days when one would simply buy (if he liked it) or not ( if he didn’t) a product. Now that we have the chance to whine about anything we most certainly take it. 

Now we expect brands to listen to us... each one of us that is!

I think that I won’t be interested in this lens since I have my 60mm and I am happy, but who knows, nothing in life is forever.

Of course there are those who want a 51mm, a 52mm, a 53mm....a 121mm, 122.mm...and those who cannot live without OIS and those who remember when no lens or camera had any of it and people took great pictures all the same.

Just work with what you have and not against it and all problems will be gone.

• Tikcus likes this

the popular expression wishful thinking is an oxymoron!

To all TAPATALK users

As a form of courtesy towards your fellow users of this forum, PLEASE remove the obnoxious tapatalk signature, it adds nothing to anyone’s contribution and it is only a sneaky way used by tapatalk to push their product by polluting each forum participant with promoting their products with unpaid advertising for their software and the brand of your phone. Removing it is easy and it is an act of courtesy that shows respect for all those whom are annoyed by this pointless feature. This is not a personal attack to you, the annoyance is caused by tapatalk and the phone or tablet brands, they are getting all the exposure and you gain nothing by this.

#28 Tikcus

Tikcus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 325 posts

Posted 10 June 2016 - 07:42 PM

Oh man! How are we going to do without OIS (  Tongue-in-cheek alert!)...  :blink:

Gone are the days when one would simply buy (if he liked it) or not ( if he didn’t) a product. Now that we have the chance to whine about anything we most certainly take it. 

Now we expect brands to listen to us... each one of us that is!

I think that I won’t be interested in this lens since I have my 60mm and I am happy, but who knows, nothing in life is forever.

Of course there are those who want a 51mm, a 52mm, a 53mm....a 121mm, 122.mm...and those who cannot live without OIS and those who remember when no lens or camera had any of it and people took great pictures all the same.

Just work with what you have and not against it and all problems will be gone.

Like you, i'm happy with the 60mm F/2.4, I use it as a portrait lens and I don't do a lot of macro photography so the 1:2 magnification is not a huge concern

Re:-OSS for photography

Using prime lenses this does not even concern me (I always keep shutter speed =/> than focal length),

For longer zoom lenses it is a more useful feature, but depending on the type of photography depends on how useful it is, if you're photo'ing moving wildlife (e.g. flying birds) being able to hand hold the 100-400 at 400mm at 1/30 second is not a lot of use

Edited by Tikcus, 10 June 2016 - 07:43 PM.

• milandro likes this

"Share what you have learnt"

My Flickr

#29 Gigas

Gigas

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 19 June 2016 - 06:59 PM

TC 1,4 + MCEX 11mm + FX-60mm + Raynox DCR-250 gives you a nice 84mm macro with a fair close range!

#30 frod

frod

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 309 posts

Posted 07 July 2016 - 08:56 AM

1:1 macro lens “XF80mmF2.8 R LM OIS WR Macro”

So OIS is in, as is compatibility with the teleconverters. Definitely interested to see the performance of this.

Edited by frod, 07 July 2016 - 08:57 AM.

The aperture ring is for composing in the third dimension, not removing it!

#31 Max_Elmar

Max_Elmar

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 119 posts

Posted 07 July 2016 - 01:25 PM

Yeah, use with TC is the surprise for me. And OIS makes it way more of a general purpose lens - folks may buy one in place of the 90/2. Fuji will have a hit on their hands. The mid-range is now nicely redone with small, modern, WR lenses. I could probably live with just the 23 and the 50 in tiny bag (w/ spare batteries, cards, polarizers, etc.)  Edit: For some trips, I'd have to fit my Rok 12/2 in there too.

Edited by Max_Elmar, 07 July 2016 - 01:38 PM.

#32 Gigas

Gigas

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 12 July 2016 - 07:07 PM

Pro-2, CMEX-11, TC-1,4 XF-60mm 2,4. Shrimp is a little less than one inch long. 250/sec f-11 at ISO 200

https://flic.kr/p/JJHoou

• Cygnus XE1 likes this

#33 MSW

MSW

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 100 posts

Posted 20 July 2016 - 02:46 AM

A XF 120mm macro would be in the almost the same market niche as the Nikon 200mm macro.  I do closer up from time to time but not true macro.  The couple of times I've seen someone using one for true macro it was quite a production.  Since 1:1 is difficult to impossible hand-held a tripod plus focusing rail set was involved.  No AF or IS desired. The 200mm macro is also supposed to be the sharpest 200mm ever made.  It's hard to see what Fuji's 120mm could bring to that game - once you are on tripod and focus rail mode as well as manual everything it would be just a simple to get a used Nikon and attach it to your X-T2 with an adapter.

General purpose XF 135mm (200mm equivalent viewing angle) f/2.8  -- THAT would be a whole different story.

#34 Sator-Photography

Sator-Photography

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 98 posts

Posted 11 September 2016 - 03:14 PM

I just brought a Sigma 180mm f/2.8 macro for my Canon since Fuji aren't going to come out with their 120mm macro. I shot some flowers with it 1:1 on a monopod and I certainly did appreciate the image stabilisation doing that especially since you tend to shoot at slower apertures to get more depth of field. Shorter focal length macros force you to get closer to the subject and this causes you to lose even more light. 

As for the suggestion that there is no 1:1 macro for the X-system, that simply isn't true at all since the Zeiss Touit 50mm f/2.8 is a 1:1 macro. Nor is it that exorbitantly priced consider its badge. 

#35 Gigas

Gigas

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 05 October 2016 - 09:17 PM

The "new" 84mm macro! 

Pro-2, CMEX-11, TC-1,4 XF-60mm 2,4 with flash 250/sec. f10 and ISO 100.

https://flic.kr/p/LXjuUD

#36 5280Pics

5280Pics

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
  • LocationDenver-ish

Posted 11 October 2016 - 09:32 PM

Just made the switch from Canon this week. I shoot a lot of Macro, and hope this "rumored" macro comes to light!

Canon Fanboy. . .But slowly crossing to the dark side. . .

#37 Jwctp

Jwctp

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 55 posts
  • LocationAtlanta

Posted 13 October 2016 - 01:54 PM

Yeah, use with TC is the surprise for me. And OIS makes it way more of a general purpose lens - folks may buy one in place of the 90/2. Fuji will have a hit on their hands. The mid-range is now nicely redone with small, modern, WR lenses. I could probably live with just the 23 and the 50 in tiny bag (w/ spare batteries, cards, polarizers, etc.)  Edit: For some trips, I'd have to fit my Rok 12/2 in there too.

Unless the AF is super slow like the 60mm, I don't see why people would buy the 90/2. Well, I guess if they need the extra stop of brightness and shallower depth of field. But this is probably going to be the lens I would get for beauty and headshots. 

instagram: @jwctp

#38 RM_Photog

RM_Photog

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 61 posts
  • LocationSouth Florida

Posted 02 November 2016 - 02:12 PM

I was interested in the 120mm 2.8 because it has the long focal length I'm looking for. Since they're not working on it anymore I'm hoping for a 135 f2!

Unless the AF is super slow like the 60mm, I don't see why people would buy the 90/2. Well, I guess if they need the extra stop of brightness and shallower depth of field. But this is probably going to be the lens I would get for beauty and headshots. 

As a wedding photographer, the 90 f2 is now an essential part of my kit and I never leave without it. The 80 Macro doesn't really interest me. I can get plenty close to wedding rings with the 90 f2 and an extension tube. Different strokes for different fokes...

I was interested in the 120mm 2.8 because it has the longer focal length I'm looking for. Since they're not working on it anymore I'm hoping for a 135 f2!

Edited by RM_Photog, 03 November 2016 - 06:11 PM.

#39 bhu

bhu

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 81 posts

Posted 22 April 2017 - 09:46 PM

Still waiting and it is spring, again.

#40 rrrrrichard

rrrrrichard

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 41 posts
  • LocationSan Francisco

Posted 02 May 2017 - 05:27 PM

Still waiting and it is spring, again.

Yeah. Very disappointing. Should have bought the Samyang a year ago.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

x

Registration is free

Not registered? Really?

Discover the full potential of the Fuji X Forum... register now!
Registration is free and done in a few minutes!

As registered member you can discuss, post your questions and present your images.
And get in contact with Fuji X photographers worldwide!

We are looking forward to you!

The Fuji X Forum Team

Register Close