XF120mmF2.8 Canceled! :: XF80mm Macro Coming!

Patrick FR

Oh man! How are we going to do without OIS (  Tongue-in-cheek alert!)...  :blink:

Gone are the days when one would simply buy (if he liked it) or not ( if he didn’t) a product. Now that we have the chance to whine about anything we most certainly take it. 

Now we expect brands to listen to us... each one of us that is!

I think that I won’t be interested in this lens since I have my 60mm and I am happy, but who knows, nothing in life is forever.

Of course there are those who want a 51mm, a 52mm, a 53mm....a 121mm, 122.mm...and those who cannot live without OIS and those who remember when no lens or camera had any of it and people took great pictures all the same.

Just work with what you have and not against it and all problems will be gone.

Oh man! How are we going to do without OIS (  Tongue-in-cheek alert!)...  :blink:

Gone are the days when one would simply buy (if he liked it) or not ( if he didn’t) a product. Now that we have the chance to whine about anything we most certainly take it. 

Now we expect brands to listen to us... each one of us that is!

I think that I won’t be interested in this lens since I have my 60mm and I am happy, but who knows, nothing in life is forever.

Of course there are those who want a 51mm, a 52mm, a 53mm....a 121mm, 122.mm...and those who cannot live without OIS and those who remember when no lens or camera had any of it and people took great pictures all the same.

Just work with what you have and not against it and all problems will be gone.

Like you, i'm happy with the 60mm F/2.4, I use it as a portrait lens and I don't do a lot of macro photography so the 1:2 magnification is not a huge concern

Re:-OSS for photography

Using prime lenses this does not even concern me (I always keep shutter speed =/> than focal length),

For longer zoom lenses it is a more useful feature, but depending on the type of photography depends on how useful it is, if you're photo'ing moving wildlife (e.g. flying birds) being able to hand hold the 100-400 at 400mm at 1/30 second is not a lot of use

Edited by Tikcus

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Yeah, use with TC is the surprise for me. And OIS makes it way more of a general purpose lens - folks may buy one in place of the 90/2. Fuji will have a hit on their hands. The mid-range is now nicely redone with small, modern, WR lenses. I could probably live with just the 23 and the 50 in tiny bag (w/ spare batteries, cards, polarizers, etc.)  Edit: For some trips, I'd have to fit my Rok 12/2 in there too.

Edited by Max_Elmar

A XF 120mm macro would be in the almost the same market niche as the Nikon 200mm macro.  I do closer up from time to time but not true macro.  The couple of times I've seen someone using one for true macro it was quite a production.  Since 1:1 is difficult to impossible hand-held a tripod plus focusing rail set was involved.  No AF or IS desired. The 200mm macro is also supposed to be the sharpest 200mm ever made.  It's hard to see what Fuji's 120mm could bring to that game - once you are on tripod and focus rail mode as well as manual everything it would be just a simple to get a used Nikon and attach it to your X-T2 with an adapter.

General purpose XF 135mm (200mm equivalent viewing angle) f/2.8  -- THAT would be a whole different story.

• 1 month later...

I just brought a Sigma 180mm f/2.8 macro for my Canon since Fuji aren't going to come out with their 120mm macro. I shot some flowers with it 1:1 on a monopod and I certainly did appreciate the image stabilisation doing that especially since you tend to shoot at slower apertures to get more depth of field. Shorter focal length macros force you to get closer to the subject and this causes you to lose even more light. 

As for the suggestion that there is no 1:1 macro for the X-system, that simply isn't true at all since the Zeiss Touit 50mm f/2.8 is a 1:1 macro. Nor is it that exorbitantly priced consider its badge. 

• 4 weeks later...

Yeah, use with TC is the surprise for me. And OIS makes it way more of a general purpose lens - folks may buy one in place of the 90/2. Fuji will have a hit on their hands. The mid-range is now nicely redone with small, modern, WR lenses. I could probably live with just the 23 and the 50 in tiny bag (w/ spare batteries, cards, polarizers, etc.)  Edit: For some trips, I'd have to fit my Rok 12/2 in there too.

Unless the AF is super slow like the 60mm, I don't see why people would buy the 90/2. Well, I guess if they need the extra stop of brightness and shallower depth of field. But this is probably going to be the lens I would get for beauty and headshots. 

• 3 weeks later...

I was interested in the 120mm 2.8 because it has the long focal length I'm looking for. Since they're not working on it anymore I'm hoping for a 135 f2!

Unless the AF is super slow like the 60mm, I don't see why people would buy the 90/2. Well, I guess if they need the extra stop of brightness and shallower depth of field. But this is probably going to be the lens I would get for beauty and headshots. 

As a wedding photographer, the 90 f2 is now an essential part of my kit and I never leave without it. The 80 Macro doesn't really interest me. I can get plenty close to wedding rings with the 90 f2 and an extension tube. Different strokes for different fokes...

I was interested in the 120mm 2.8 because it has the longer focal length I'm looking for. Since they're not working on it anymore I'm hoping for a 135 f2!

Edited by RM_Photog

• 5 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

OK the new macro lens will be 80mm - its in Fuji's Road Map as a further feature it will be compatible with the 1.4 and 2x converters. I was able to get a  2x converter at a very good price, works very well with the 100-400 zoom.   My question is does anyone have any idea when we might be able to buy the new 80mm Macro Lens?

OK the new macro lens will be 80mm - its in Fuji's Road Map as a further feature it will be compatible with the 1.4 and 2x converters. I was able to get a  2x converter at a very good price, works very well with the 100-400 zoom.   My question is does anyone have any idea when we might be able to buy the new 80mm Macro Lens?

My guess is that it would be presented during some major event like photo or consumer electronics show.

I am guessing all optical production is being taken up with all the new Fuji glass including the video specific lens - ugh. The humble macro might be seen as not quite so main stream. As an  interim solution I have ordered  fully auto extension tubesx2 for the incredible price of $12.  Some comments have not been so good, ie poor contacts and build quality not so hot  but at that price whats to worry.  As long as it does not require great effort to mount.  The combinations I plan is 55-140mm zoom 1  1+2 and the 2x converter agh might be completely unusable but fun trying.  Better dust off the tripod.

• 1 month later...

The new macro now promised is good, I had the 60mm macro with my X-Pro1 Version 1 firmware had I hung-on maybe with firmware updates it might have improved my experience - alas just to hasty. They problem was I was spoilt , I had the Nikon 105Macro many consider this to be Nikon's best lens.   From time to time I will spend a day working with a macro lens, natural sunlight shafting through the window, 10 different orchids from the garden. Then there is portrait it has been a long time coming but to connect/synchronize  a number of flash heads with easy (thank you Mr Godox).  cheap stands and willing bodies make for a interesting experience.  I don't have studio flash heads no justification, but with the new XIT I can resort to hand held flash.