• Please log in to reply
47 replies to this topic

#1 Display_Name

Display_Name

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 18 April 2016 - 11:49 AM

Advertisement (Gone after free registration)

Hi Folks, 

Hate to join the forum with a moan!

Lost the rubber eyecup from my X-Pro 2 the other day. I can't find any specific replacements on-line of on the Fuji product page.

Does anyone know whether they are the same as the X-Pro 1 or a 3rd party replacement?

Same happened on my XT1 and a bit disappointed that Fuji hasn't figured out how to attach them more firmly - or maybe that's the point, more sales!

Any advice gratefully appriciated.

#2 milandro

milandro

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,690 posts

Posted 18 April 2016 - 11:59 AM

it’s unlikely that there is anything else , made by a 3rd party company, out there for a camera this young, besides  Other Fuji cameras don’t have that luxury too.

The X-T1 has a extended eyecup but I don’t think that it would fit the X Pro 1.

Several people have been hacking things for the X Pro 1 a dn I’ve seen one which hacked a large eyecup for the 2 but they all used the “ basic” eyecup.

Fuji will be able to replace it, for sure.

It won’t cost a fortune.

the popular expression wishful thinking is an oxymoron!

To all TAPATALK users

As a form of courtesy towards your fellow users of this forum, PLEASE remove the obnoxious tapatalk signature, it adds nothing to anyone’s contribution and it is only a sneaky way used by tapatalk to push their product by polluting each forum participant with promoting their products with unpaid advertising for their software and the brand of your phone. Removing it is easy and it is an act of courtesy that shows respect for all those whom are annoyed by this pointless feature. This is not a personal attack to you, the annoyance is caused by tapatalk and the phone or tablet brands, they are getting all the exposure and you gain nothing by this.

#3 jhjl

jhjl

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 13 May 2016 - 10:33 AM

I've lost mine too. I contacted Fuji and was staggered by this reply:

Thank you for contacting FUJIFILM UK.

We are sorry to hear you have lost the eye cup and to advise, this part is not available separately and is only included with a replacement viewfinder. The camera will require workshop attention, please reply with your UK address details and the serial number of the camera. We will send you prepaid packaging which you can use to return the camera to our service department via Royal Mail special delivery.

Alternatively, please visit the following link to prebook your camera for a eye cup replacement. Please do not include the any lens, battery, memory card, any leads or the charger with the camera. We sincerely apologise for this inconvenience.

http://www.fujicamerarepair.co.uk

The Fujifilm X World Team

I have to return the camera for a push on part costing pennies :(

Edited by jhjl, 13 May 2016 - 10:33 AM.

#4 EduFierro

EduFierro

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 21 May 2016 - 06:23 AM

ok I am an Xpro2 user and just found that my eyecup is missing...

this is very painful as I see inside the camera, those that makes the camera weather unseal it.?

I find that response ridiculous to send my whole camera for then to repair....

That  have to find a better way to serve the customer.

"Ignorance is a LifeStyle"

#5 andcon74

andcon74

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 21 May 2016 - 08:34 AM

To send the camera to a Fuji repair could take more time, but I think you could get a better service and job.

#6 PetriMC

PetriMC

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 21 May 2016 - 09:35 AM

Suddenly the standard fitting screw-on diopter on the X-Pro1 doesn't seem like such a bad idea.

Edited by PetriMC, 21 May 2016 - 09:35 AM.

#7 xtom

xtom

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 07 June 2016 - 06:39 AM

My X-Pro2 eye-cup has spontaneously disappeared as well. Fuji film confirm they will replace it under warranty. It requires returning to them for repair. From what I heard it is a common fault.

#8 Display_Name

Display_Name

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 12 June 2016 - 02:09 PM

Thanks for your replies.
I knew I wouldn't be the only one, it's a poor design on a otherwise well built camera.

Jhjl; did you take up Fuji on the repair? if so, did they charge anything and how long did it take?

Don't suppose anyone knows if there is a service centre in London that could do this while I wait? guess this is a long shot!

#9 milandro

milandro

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,690 posts

Posted 12 June 2016 - 02:23 PM

it seems to me that if he said “ Fuji will replace under warranty” that it won’t cost anything.

but I don’t think there is a walk in shop where you can do these things, however you can find out here

http://repair.fujifilm.co.uk

To all TAPATALK users

As a form of courtesy towards your fellow users of this forum, PLEASE remove the obnoxious tapatalk signature, it adds nothing to anyone’s contribution and it is only a sneaky way used by tapatalk to push their product by polluting each forum participant with promoting their products with unpaid advertising for their software and the brand of your phone. Removing it is easy and it is an act of courtesy that shows respect for all those whom are annoyed by this pointless feature. This is not a personal attack to you, the annoyance is caused by tapatalk and the phone or tablet brands, they are getting all the exposure and you gain nothing by this.

#10 jedbest

jedbest

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 12 June 2016 - 03:56 PM

What I have done in the interim is get a rubber ring, like a busing that will fit within the trough. It at least removes the roughness of have that tough let open.

Jed

#11 milandro

milandro

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,690 posts

Posted 12 June 2016 - 03:58 PM

an O ring would probably work, however if you find an old camera eyecup you might have adapted one of those

To all TAPATALK users

#12 adzman808

adzman808

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 366 posts

Posted 12 June 2016 - 06:44 PM

Thanks for your replies.
I knew I wouldn't be the only one, it's a poor design on a otherwise well built camera.
Jhjl; did you take up Fuji on the repair? if so, did they charge anything and how long did it take?
Don't suppose anyone knows if there is a service centre in London that could do this while I wait? guess this is a long shot!

Fuji UK service centre is located in Bedford... They will send you a pre-paid shipping container

Cheers, Adam
My Website, home of the largest X-Pro series opinion piece on the 'net:
http://adambonn.com/

#13 milandro

milandro

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,690 posts

Posted 12 June 2016 - 06:48 PM

a whole container seems a bit of an overkill... ^_^

• adzman808 likes this

To all TAPATALK users

#14 darngooddesign

darngooddesign

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 68 posts

Posted 13 June 2016 - 04:25 PM

I wonder if there is more to the fix than just a replacement piece. Something to stop it from happening in the future.

#15 milandro

milandro

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,690 posts

Posted 13 June 2016 - 04:42 PM

a good old fashioned dollop of glue?  ;)

No seriously, the X-T1 eyecup had teething problems too. Possibly the over-civilized ( Japanese?)  beta testers don’t bang around their camera haging off a sling or something like that so, when tested the cameras don’t lose eyecups but in the real world they do.

I didn’t lose the X-T1 eyecup and bought the long one for fun not because I needed to. I personally had to pry the eyecup off the camera (X-T1) and can’t possibly understand how could anyone knock this thing off the camera but it has happened .

For the time being they will replace the lost eyecups. In a few months they will come with a solution and by that time we will all be talking of the X-pro 3 :rolleyes:

To all TAPATALK users

#16 jhjl

jhjl

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 14 June 2016 - 08:50 PM

Thanks for your replies.

No I haven't. I need the camera for shooting an ongoing tango stage show and was due to go for a long holiday tour of China next week (sadly cancelled due to delay getting a visa).

I have shot >7000 images without the eyecup and no longer notice it is missing ;) 

• Christopher Horner likes this

#17 Christopher Horner

Christopher Horner

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 15 June 2016 - 04:41 PM

No I haven't. I need the camera for shooting an ongoing tango stage show and was due to go for a long holiday tour of China next week (sadly cancelled due to delay getting a visa).

I have shot >7000 images without the eyecup and no longer notice it is missing ;)

I'm not going to send my camera off for that. I'm going to try to get by without it. I'm not sure how much it compromises weather sealing but you seem to be ok, and I'm not planning to use it in the rain..

#18 milandro

milandro

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,690 posts

Posted 15 June 2016 - 04:46 PM

Not that I want to be a wise equine, but I’ve been to China a few times and visas can be acquired at the Chinese embassy in the NL.

You walk in, you fill a form, pay and walk away with the visa. There is no delay possible if you can be there in person.

Edited by milandro, 15 June 2016 - 04:47 PM.

To all TAPATALK users

#19 PeterG

PeterG

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
  • LocationSweden

Posted 23 June 2016 - 12:07 PM

My eyecup tore apart/split and was hanging by a thread so I contacted Fuji and wondered if they could ship a replacement.

The answer was that the eyecup was part of the weather sealing so I had to send it in to be replaced (properly glued).

It was a guarantee job and didn't cost me anything except the three weeks it took to send it to my camera store in Sweden, to England and back.

#20 ecmartinjr1@cox.net

ecmartinjr1@cox.net

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 23 June 2016 - 05:01 PM

On April 23, 2016, I posted the following comment concerning a replacement eye-cup.  The one I made is still working fine and is firmly in place.  Here is what I said:

I wear glasses and with my XPro 2 had problems with blocking out side light around the original eye piece.  I purchased a Nikon eye cup DK-19 for $1.50 (free postage) on Ebay which fits perfectly around the outer circumference of the Fuji rubber eyepiece.  I first masked off around the Fuji eyepiece with masking tape and twice tried to attach the Nikon eye cup with Elmer's rubber cement.  Although I followed the label instructions for a "stronger bond", this failed twice.  I then used with complete success Permatex Adhesive Sealant Clear RTV Silicone (80050).  DAP makes a like product, both being widely available.  Without my glasses this now works perfectly to block out side light, with the glasses on it is better than before.  I also find that in my case I can slightly adjust the diopter adjustment to provide sharp vision in the EVF without wearing my glasses.  It is adequate on the LCD.  I was at first concerned that the added Nikon eye cup would protrude back too much but it doesn't.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Eyecup, Eyepiece, Eye Cup, X-Pro 2

x

Registration is free

Not registered? Really?

Discover the full potential of the Fuji X Forum... register now!
Registration is free and done in a few minutes!

As registered member you can discuss, post your questions and present your images.
And get in contact with Fuji X photographers worldwide!

We are looking forward to you!

The Fuji X Forum Team

Register Close