X-Pro2 Wi-Fi transfer speed any good?

Hi everyone,

At first I found it an interesting thought to transfer images from the camera to the pc (Mac) using the camera's built-in Wi-Fi. No hassle removing memory cards, no cables, just through the air. 

However when I tried doing so, I could hardly believe how slow it actually was. I can't immediately tell you what the transfer rate was, but I had to wait minutes for just a hand full of images to transfer from the camera to the pc. I thought Wi-Fi was a lot more powerfull these days, but this seems quite useless to me. Even establishing the connection between the camera and the pc seems like an attempt to break into the Pentagon. It all seems so daaaaamn sloooooow.

So the question is this: is the X-Pro2's built-in Wi-Fi only good for geo tagging with a smart phone, or do any of you actually use it for picture transfer to a pc as well? 

I can only speak about XT-1, but I believe we're talking about the same problem. I don't think it's Wi-Fi connection's fault, our cameras provide b/g/n connectivity, with theoretical speed of 300mbps. it's a terribly designed and terribly outdated Fuji file transfer software (at least on PC). I am using it (or rather still trying) at work. This would be an ideal solution for me, as I am shooting couple of product photo sessions daily, in a remote warehouse (but still within wifi range). After each session I have to grab my card (or camera) and get to the office to upload photos to a shared folder. I could avoid those frequent walks and waste of time and could get it all done with one press of a button, if only Fuji's software weren't such a sad joke... :-( Oh well.

Hmm, my opinion? Fuji better leave the Wi-Fi thing for file transfer out, just like they skip 4K video. I know, they've let go of 4K for technical reasons and mainly for possible damage of the camera due to overheating, but don't let end users believe they can use Wi-Fi file transfer on X cameras when it's in such a terrible state! Words fall short on me now.

Well, I think this is slightly different. Like I said, I think the camera is fully capable of fast data "streaming", only the software / app is a bottleneck. This should be relatively easy to fix (much easier than overheating body anyway), simply by developing a new app. I still don't think it's gonna happen any time soon, though. :-(

For single images every now and then it works fine. I pretty much use it if I take a photo of someone and they want a copy of it, so I transfer it to my phone and send it. If you're importing to a laptop or desktop, a wire (or dedicated SD slot) will always be much faster than wireless.

• 3 months later...

Yes.. am just trying this now with my new xpro2 into my mac air as I can't find my card reader. Taken about 15 mins for 120 photos.. all but 1 or 2 jpegs. It's pathetic. It was not a feature I was interested in till I needed it... now I see it is disappointingly complicated to activate and slow to use.

Maybe Fuji can put it in with the the Firmware update that will allow us to change ISO electronically. I love the buttons: but my 50+ eyes struggle with the little window and fiddly. 

Negative first post, I regret to say... I have loved the Xpro1 and looking forward to using the new one in anger!!!!

Is there any serious photographer's camera that has embraced good WiFi connectivity? If it slowed sales they'd consider it. For example, few cameras offer USB3. My guess this is maybe $5 in license cost, so, too much.

Edited by jonathan7007

Hi everyone,

At first I found it an interesting thought to transfer images from the camera to the pc (Mac) using the camera's built-in Wi-Fi. No hassle removing memory cards, no cables, just through the air. 

However when I tried doing so, I could hardly believe how slow it actually was. I can't immediately tell you what the transfer rate was, but I had to wait minutes for just a hand full of images to transfer from the camera to the pc. I thought Wi-Fi was a lot more powerfull these days, but this seems quite useless to me. Even establishing the connection between the camera and the pc seems like an attempt to break into the Pentagon. It all seems so daaaaamn sloooooow.

So the question is this: is the X-Pro2's built-in Wi-Fi only good for geo tagging with a smart phone, or do any of you actually use it for picture transfer to a pc as well?

I use wifi to transfer photos. Actually I use it exclusively - no card reader or USB cable. But I don't use the network my PC is connected to - instead I use dedicated network, created by my PC exclusively for this purpose. I find wifi implementation in X-Pro2 to be very poor and limited, but it works. X-Pro2 transceiver/receiver seems to be weak - transfer drops dramaticaly with distance. 0.5m - 1m seems to be reasonable distance, but 2m or more means problems.

I feel pretty stupid at the moment when it comes to my xpro2 so perhaps someone can assist.

When I choose any of the Connection Settings/PC Auto Save Setting choices, such as simple setup or manual setup, I quickly get to a screen where the camera is waiting to connect and ... nothing happens. Is this a long process that cannot be interrupted once set off? I ask because it seems the camera seems bricked at this point but maybe it just takes a really long time. Fuji tells me there is nothing wrong with the camera so I am confused.

thanks  

I feel pretty stupid at the moment when it comes to my xpro2 so perhaps someone can assist.

When I choose any of the Connection Settings/PC Auto Save Setting choices, such as simple setup or manual setup, I quickly get to a screen where the camera is waiting to connect and ... nothing happens. Is this a long process that cannot be interrupted once set off? I ask because it seems the camera seems bricked at this point but maybe it just takes a really long time. Fuji tells me there is nothing wrong with the camera so I am confused.

thanks

Can you send photo of your camera's screen while trying to connect? What the camera says: is it trying to connect to the network itself or to the PC?

I dont know how far you went, but first you have to define the connection. For this step you need wifi network details: SSID (or name of the network), security means, used by the network (if it is open, secured by password) and if the network is secured by password, you need this password.

In first step you need to define the connection - the camera will test it and if it works - store it for further use.

In the second step you can select one of the already stored connection definitions to establish the connsction and use it.

Please note - while in the second step you don't need to run the Fuji software on your PC, as it will start on it's own, for the first (connection definition) step you must run the Fuji software on your PC.

BTW - do you use any kind of L-bracket on your camera, like RRS one? I use it and I discovered that it lilits wifi reach.

In reply to Kubul, here is what happens.

(1) When I select:
      Connection Setting / PC Auto Save Setting / Simple Setup
I see a screen that says:
     Simple Setup
     Push WPS button on wi fi router ...
     UP-ARROW = Connect by PIN code
     BACK = Cancel
Of course I've no WPS button on my router so this was the wrong choice. Unfortunately at this point the camera is frozen. The screen display is fine but the Back button does not work. Turning off the power switch doesn't work either. So I remove the battery and restart the camera. 

(2) When I select  
    Connection Setting / PC Auto Save Setting / Manual Setup / Select from network List 
I see on the camera screen:
    Select from network list
    BACK = cancel 

At this point the screen is frozen, waiting for a network list that never appears. I remove the battery to restart the camera.

(3) Finally, when I select:
Connection Setting / PC Auto Save Setting / Manual Setup / Enter SSID . 
I enter the SSID
Next, I select 
    Select WPA/WPA2 mixed mode
I enter the password
then I see on the camera screen:
    Manual Setup
    Connecting to wifi router 
    fujifilm x-pro2-0011
    BACK=Cancel

At this point the screen is frozen and nothing works. I've let it sit for a few minutes but it never comes back.

I've installed the fuji software on my PC but in the above scenarios I am not running the fuji s/w.

Thanks for your help.
- James  

In reply to Kubul, here is what happens.

(1) When I select:
      Connection Setting / PC Auto Save Setting / Simple Setup
I see a screen that says:
     Simple Setup
     Push WPS button on wi fi router ...
     UP-ARROW = Connect by PIN code
     BACK = Cancel
Of course I've no WPS button on my router so this was the wrong choice. Unfortunately at this point the camera is frozen. The screen display is fine but the Back button does not work. Turning off the power switch doesn't work either. So I remove the battery and restart the camera. 

(2) When I select  
    Connection Setting / PC Auto Save Setting / Manual Setup / Select from network List 
I see on the camera screen:
    Select from network list
    BACK = cancel 

At this point the screen is frozen, waiting for a network list that never appears. I remove the battery to restart the camera.

(3) Finally, when I select:
Connection Setting / PC Auto Save Setting / Manual Setup / Enter SSID . 
I enter the SSID
Next, I select 
    Select WPA/WPA2 mixed mode
I enter the password
then I see on the camera screen:
    Manual Setup
    Connecting to wifi router 
    fujifilm x-pro2-0011
    BACK=Cancel

At this point the screen is frozen and nothing works. I've let it sit for a few minutes but it never comes back.

I've installed the fuji software on my PC but in the above scenarios I am not running the fuji s/w.

Thanks for your help.
- James  

I'm very sorry, but if your camera freezes, something is definitely wrong with it. Even if it can't see any network, it should show a message: "! CAN'T FIND WI-FI ROUTER" and come back to the normal photo-taking operation. This is how my X-Pro2 behaves - I have just checked it.

In general - for the wi-fi networks:

If you don't see the SSID on any other device AND you don't use it with any other device, it probably does not exists and is not available for use. Or it is hidden.

If you can see the SSID on other devices but not on the list on the X-Pro2 screen, the network can work in wireless standard not supported by X-Pro2 or the signal is to weak. X-Pro2 can use only wireless networks using the 2.4GHz band - standards 802.11 b/g/n. But not the 5GHz band - standard 802,11 a or 802.11ac.

If you use the SSID on any other device, but you can't see it on the list of networks on this device, the network is hidden (it means it does not broadcast it's name or SSID). In this case you have no other option than typing the SSID on the camera. But if it is hidden, there is a chance that the network administrator has hidden it for security reasons. This means that there is a high probability that the administrator also implemented access list on the access point, allowing to connect only registered devices - devices whose MAC or physical addresses are on the list of allowed devices. In such case you will not be able to connect as long as you give the MAC address of your X-Pro2 to the administrator and the administrator puts it on the list of allowed devices.

But once again: if your X-Pro2 freezes, something is definitely wrong with it. Even if it can't see any network, it should show a message: "! CAN'T FIND WI-FI ROUTER" and come back to the normal photo-taking operation. Not freeze by any mean. You should go with it to the service. If serviceman says it is OK, let him show you how he connects to any wi-fi network.

...the worst! I am so sorry you have lost the use of the camera with no "fix" or explanation. 

I shoot tethered a lot with Canons and wish that all the connection possibilities worked better with Fujis. I have several kinds of X body but not the XT-1 which is the only body (I read here) that will tether. I wonder if my XP2 will ever allow this? I had not planned to buy an XT2 unless I wanted the Fujis to take over more of the pro burden. Tethering a factor. What "connects" (sorry) these issues, perhaps, is that Fuji will have to commit to hiring (or outsourcing) more software programming effort. Maybe a hard sell to upper management?

So I'd better write someone senior and express a strong "vote" for tethering. Are they losing any sales over this? It's so hard to prove that.

"Yes.. am just trying this now with my new xpro2 into my mac air as I can't find my card reader. Taken about 15 mins for 120 photos.. all but 1 or 2 jpegs. It's pathetic. It was not a feature I was interested in till I needed it... now I see it is disappointingly complicated to activate and slow to use."

I've complained about this WIFI-connectivity on the Fuji X-forum several times - as usual - people start calling me a troll. There always seems to be something wrong when Fujifilm conceives interface software with PC or MAC. But this is likely the poorest WIFI-implementation of the whole market. When you don't get nervous too fast, with jpg's it works a bit, but with RAF's it's a complete disaster. Speed, complexity... the incapability to use this tool over more than one dedicated access point... the frequent breaking off - I really can't understand how anyone can ever find this implementation OK. I had hoped that the fabulous kaizen-approach would bring a solution one day, but...?

• 3 months later...

Just completed an article about setting up wi-fi for communication X-Pro2 - PC:

http://eng.roguski.eu/2016/07/31/saving-photos-on-the-pc-using-wi-fi/

Hi Kubul,

I've finally reached the point of courage to give it another try. That's a very well worked out workflow you've penned down! I'm sure many pc users will have tried this dedicated network method.

Do you know anyone who was successful setting up a dedicated network between the X-Pro2 and a Mac? It's not working out for me.

I'm able to create a dedicated network on the Mac. I'm able to see the network on the X-Pro2 and select it from the Network List. But the PCAutoSave utility doesn't pick up the connection.

What am I missing? (don't tell me I'm missing a decent OS)

Hi Kubul,

I've finally reached the point of courage to give it another try. That's a very well worked out workflow you've penned down! I'm sure many pc users will have tried this dedicated network method.

Do you know anyone who was successful setting up a dedicated network between the X-Pro2 and a Mac? It's not working out for me.

I'm able to create a dedicated network on the Mac. I'm able to see the network on the X-Pro2 and select it from the Network List. But the PCAutoSave utility doesn't pick up the connection.

What am I missing? (don't tell me I'm missing a decent OS)

Hello tdGunter,

As I know nothing about MacOS, I can only guess. So the first guess (assuming that the WiFi connection has been set successfully) would be what type of WiFi access the MacOS offers. Is it full access to the system resources, like disk and applications? Or just sharing internet access? I rise this question because I know from my experience with iPhone and iPad that some services designed by Apple are severely limited (let's say for security reasons or something like that). For example BlueTooth on my iPad allows for audio gear connectivity only, like speakers, but not for full communication with other computer. So maybe hot-spot offered by MacOS is limited too?

If MacOS offers full hot-spot functionality, the second guess would be to check if there is any firewall in the system. In Windows I had several times the problem that new application was not able to communicate just because default firewall settings disallowed the communication of this particular application.

Unfortunately I don't know anybody who at the same time uses Mac and Fujifilm camera and could test this communication.

Please note: after initial positive feelings about WiFi connectivity while transferring just a few test shots, I have dropped it totally after I had to transfer about 100 RAWs from the camera to the PC. I can't wait so long time. So I have uninstalled the Fujifilm software from my PC and now I use card reader exclusively. I still use WiFi, but only if I want to remotely control the camera using my phone - this work reasonably well.