Any news about a FW 4.0 update on the E2?

Very disappointed that the X-E(n) series appears to be abondoned. If it doesn't pencil out for Fuji I understand, but I'll keep holding off buying a new body until I hear official news on it. I'd buy a X-E3 this instant if one were available, but I guess Fuji will have to keep dipping their toes in the low end market until they realize the high end is their niche. If I wanted a low end camera I'd use my iPhone. I assume Fuji's answer to the rangefinder format is the X-Pro2, but I don't want the OVF, the size, and ultimately the cost associated with it. For me, I want the X-Pro2’s features, control layout, and support of Fuji, just without the OVF and larger size. Sounds like a  perfect X-E3!
:)

I don’t care for the X-T1’s controls or the DSLR format that I happily abandoned. Shooting an X-E1 was my introduction to Fuji and its minimalist layout and rangefinder format was just such a joy to use and I fell in love with photography all over again. I sold every piece of Canon kit I had and didn’t think twice about it. Since then I added the X-E2 and almost every lens in the lineup. It’s so small and unassuming that it lets me focus on my subjects, and the subjects with me.

I’m very conversational when shooting portraits, and not having some big ole DSLR blocking my face lets me interact with them to the point they almost forget they’re in a photo shoot. My portraits took a noticeable uptick in keepers when I went to the rangefinder.

rangfinder-ftw.jpg

I'd love to see Fuji do one of the following:

Release the X-E3

If no X-E3, then hit the X-E2 with one last firmware update, the 4.0.

Release a X-Pro20 (basically the Pro without the OVF)

My credit card awaits!

May I add that I found awesome, as many others, that Fuji made the Leica format modern and affordable, so we'll wait and see, on one hand they are releasing this 35 F/2 that is very much inspired from rangefinder lenses, on the other hand this X-T10, looks a bit like they have schizophrenia at the moment, testing the market response for sure.

love to see Fuji do one of the following:

Release the X-E3

If no X-E3, then hit the X-E2 with one last firmware update, the 4.0.

Release a X-Pro20 (basically the Pro without the OVF)

My credit card awaits!

Surely X-Pro20 as you suggest would be same as X-Ex

It's difficult. Fuji caught me with the Pro1. The classic RF-look and the quality feel to take it into Hands - fascinating. I never liked the T1. Nevertheless, I use it every day. But without love. I'm hoping for the Pro2. That model will decide on my future with Fuji. The T10 is a nice toy camera with an interesting automatic mode. Don't think that there is any future for the E-line.

At this point, what could make X-E body a worthwhile buy over X-T10? Pretend you are a in Fuji marketing for a moment. How would you make the difference significant and clear to consumers?

For me, x-e2 is still the most value for money. Never again will i buy a camera where my nose rubbs the screen every timei put my eye to the viewfinder. The x-pro1, and 2 i guess, are too large and heavy.

Ill simply wait for a full featured, small form factor rangefinder style body with evf or ill stick with the x-e2. Not that i really need to retire my x-e2 for quite some time. It may look worn to pieces, but its still the best and most handy camera i have ever had.

For me, x-e2 is still the most value for money. Never again will i buy a camera where my nose rubbs the screen every timei put my eye to the viewfinder. The x-pro1, and 2 i guess, are too large and heavy.

Ill simply wait for a full featured, small form factor rangefinder style body with evf or ill stick with the x-e2. Not that i really need to retire my x-e2 for quite some time. It may look worn to pieces, but its still the best and most handy camera i have ever had.

perhaps you would be happier with the Sony A6xxx.   Why wait? The A6000 already has more features and MP than the X-E series and in a lighter, less expensive and rangefinder style package.    Sony seem to indicating that they will stick with rangefinder design for the cropped sensor entry and mid-grade stuff.  SLR style for the high end FF.

I think Fuji had to pick to go after A6000 or OM-D E-M10 for the entry and mid-grade stuff.  Looks like they chose to go after Olympus instead of Sony.  I don't they Fuji is large enough to put out two different cameras which differ just in body style.  

Anyhow, I think they have a better chance as winning over the Olympus customer than Sony.  Olympus has good glass, good JPEGs, poor video.

perhaps you would be happier with the Sony A6xxx. Why wait? The A6000 already has more features and MP than the X-E series and in a lighter, less expensive and rangefinder style package.

Well, for my non-fuji lenses i might actually be able to live with a sony even though i much prefer the handling of the fujis. However i havnt found a single native lens for that system that i prefer to the fujinons. I also shoot a lot of film and use the fuji for previewing. The film simulations are very very handy.

Well, for my non-fuji lenses i might actually be able to live with a sony even though i much prefer the handling of the fujis. However i havnt found a single native lens for that system that i prefer to the fujinons. I also shoot a lot of film and use the fuji for previewing. The film simulations are very very handy.

that is understandable.  I don't think Fuji wants to compete in the Sony space. Its low margin stuff and Sony has an advantage there. Sony will eat them alive when it comes to price and video. This is why I think Fuji is going after the higher end competitor; Olympus.  They got the lens, which Sony does not and for the looks of things has no intention to do so in cropped sensor space. Same be said for Nikon and Canon. 

I think Fuji had to make a choice.  Since they are a relatively small business unit, and can not sustain two different bodies styles with similar features, who would they likely loss sales to if they make Rangefinder vs SLR.  Sony Rangefinder or Olympus DLSR?  I think they made the right choice from a business model point of view.   They are drawing DSLR users who want smaller quality lens that can only be found on either FF cameras or m43.  In these two markets, its all DSLR style bodies.  They have tried it both ways. Rangerinder and SLR style. Sounds like by the numbers and that fact that they are selling a 1.25 yr old camera at only $100 discount, they have made a choice. 

that is understandable. I don't think Fuji wants to compete in the Sony space. Its low margin stuff and Sony has an advantage there. Sony will eat them alive when it comes to price and video. This is why I think Fuji is going after the higher end competitor; Olympus. They got the lens, which Sony does not and for the looks of things has no intention to do so in cropped sensor space. Same be said for Nikon and Canon.

I think Fuji had to make a choice. Since they are a relatively small business unit, and can not sustain two different bodies styles with similar features, who would they likely loss sales to if they make Rangefinder vs SLR. Sony Rangefinder or Olympus DLSR? I think they made the right choice from a business model point of view. They are drawing DSLR users who want smaller quality lens that can only be found on either FF cameras or m43. In these two markets, its all DSLR style bodies.

Well, money is not really the issue here. Ofcourse i was happy my x-e2 was not that expensive, but id gladly pay more for a smaller camera with xp2 feature set minus ovf than for the xp2 or xt2 themselves.

Well, money is not really the issue here. Ofcourse i was happy my x-e2 was not that expensive, but id gladly pay more for a smaller camera with xp2 feature set minus ovf than for the xp2 or xt2 themselves.

I am sure the Sony cropped sensor customers are saying the same thing.  But its not gonna happen. If you want high quality glass with EVF your only choice in the competition today is FF SLR style bodies or m43 SLR bodies.  Its may be a gamble, but where else are rangefinder style existing customers going to go? To the competition?  yet, people are going to complain and jump up and down.. but Fuji really does not need to do anything.  Nor does Sony, or Canon or Nikon, or Olympus, or Panasonic, or Samsung or Pentax. There are no other options once existing rangefinder still cameras get stale.  Meanwhile they are raking in the money with the X-T style body which obviously is working for them and is NOT getting discounted by any significant amount. Unlike X-E2.  -$100 in ~1.5 years on X-T1? wow. Cha ching... run with it Fuji.

I'm not clear why everyone seems to think it would be to Fuji's detriment to issue one last FW for teh X-E2... There are such significant differences between it and other models the I don't really think there's any threat to sales of new or diffeerent models (T10 vs X100). The truth is it is very nearly flawless as is, the view mode thing is a quandry, and for the life of my I don't understand a company that goes to great lengths to make a high dynamic range camera and then only offers 1 stop  bracketing... seriousy? But a couple of small tweaks and add one or two new features and you keep the old and new customers happy :P

I have an X-E2 and an X-T1 and love them both, but for different shoots as they have different strengths, as does teh X-T10.

If Fuji has walked away from the X-En that would be sad and uneccesary frankly. I won't bail on them but I would lower my expectations, which is a shame as they are responsible for setting it so high in the first place and more than capable of maintaining it.

I am sure the Sony cropped sensor customers are saying the same thing. But its not gonna happen. If you want high quality glass with EVF your only choice in the competition today is FF SLR style bodies or m43 SLR bodies. Its may be a gamble, but where else are rangefinder style existing customers going to go? To the competition?

Actually, the full frame sony native glass seems even worse to me than their crop lenses so that option is out too. I also work a lot with adapted lenses and very few ff lenses resolv enough for the m43 pixel density.

Apsc or maybe apsh is optimal for me. Native fujinons for panncakes and wides and small enough sensor that the image circle of my older glass covers it with quite a bit of tilt/shift. Its a match made in heaven, so ill definitely stick with fuji. I dont really mind buying a used xe2 if mine eventually gives up on me but ill stay away from larger bodies or slr form factor. I dont really need more features and the picture quality is excellent anyway.

If they eventually make a 24x24 sensor, however, i will get a wee bit jealous.

regarding body styles, I had the same experience with the other Fuji.  Fuji Heavy Industries.   Commonly known as Subaru.   I love the regular Legacy wagon body style and manual transmission.  However, they have decided it was a better business decisions to only sell Outbacks (raised body) and CVT in North America.  I jumped and complained along with other enthusiasts and you know what?  Fuji in the end made the right decision, they are raking in the money now.  The enthusiasts don't matter when the masses speak and the bean counters look at the return on investment and profit margins.   I am afraid we have the same thing here with rangefinder vs SLR style bodies.  I could be wrong, but judging by the discounting of X-E2 vs X-T1, I think I am not.  If X-E3 comes out, I will be pleasantly surprised.  I just don't know what else they could offer besides the changed EVF position to make it worth while without confusing the masses.  Especially now that Sony markets rangefinder body as entry/mid grade and SLR body as high end.  Stupid confused consumers? maybe.  Even though SLR style for mirrorless camera does not really make sense from a practical point of view ( just like a jacked up Legacy wagon ), it does seem to sell and attract former SLR owners more than rangefinders. In the end that is all that matters from a profit point of view.

Sony markets rangefinder body as entry/mid grade and SLR body as high end

And Olympus do the same with the PEN's decidedly entry level these days and the OM-D's the 'higher' end cameras. 

They probably think we're nostalgic for SLRs having sold all our gear :)

Anyway, credit to the x-t10, it is quite narrow and probably couldn't be if the viewfinder was on the corner. I suppose the hump allows the flash to be above the evf.

And new firmware still won't make the x-e2's screen tilt...

I think FUJI wants to hit the big consumer market. And with the x-t10 they maybe want to enter in the canon rebel and nikon DXXXX big backyard!! they put a f3.5-5.6 kit lens with it and like any other company they must achieve good financial results - profits. the profil of the x-e2/x- e1 is not equal to the profil of the x-t10, so i think there is diferent markets, they don't want to move the x-e2 /x-e1 owners to the x-t10 or X-t1, battle between rangefinder and slr doesn't make sense. So the sales of the x-t10 are very important for the next steps...and i think x-e2 will have a upgrade firmware...we deserve that!

Anyway, credit to the x-t10, it is quite narrow

It's so narrow it look to me like it's designed for japanese hands, I took my X-E1 in my hands today and thought about how it handles (I usually think about pictures so had to pay attention) and I wouldn't want it narrower, never ever, but then I have really long fingers à la Jimmy Hendrix.

As an X-E2 user, I love the idea to have an FW 4.00 for X-E2, but, it's true there's only few hope to see it come.

After that, X-T10 seems to be a very nice body, with very nice launch price.

As I'm not a SLR like only nor rangefinder only, I could decide to buy the X-T10 as a second body for my fixed focal lenses, avoiding to change lenses to often. Nevertheless, I think I'll continue to use my X-E2, since like X-T10 it is a compact, light and with high quality pictures camera.

Never again will i buy a camera where my nose rubbs the screen every timei put my eye to the viewfinder. 

As I use my left eye in the viewfinder, there's not really difference between X-T10 and X-E2. But May be with X-T10 I'll get my nose on buttons... ?

perhaps you would be happier with the Sony A6xxx.   Why wait? The A6000 already has more features and MP than the X-E series and in a lighter, less expensive and rangefinder style package.    Sony seem to indicating that they will stick with rangefinder design for the cropped sensor entry and mid-grade stuff.  SLR style for the high end FF.

MP is really not a must to have for me, and I really prefer Fuji Lens offer than full of the "not so good lenses" sony's offer.

For feature, As I do mainly still photography, I don't need a lot of "silly" features.

In the meantime, perhaps Fuji will give us X-E2 zealots the v4 firmware. It really would give them/us time to decide what to do next. I'm not at all interested in the X-T10 "toy camera" and don't want to go back to the DSLR format of the X-T1. If a v4 increases the usability of my X-E2 then I really would have more loyalty to Fuji rather than looking for my next rangefinder format system and lenses. Heck, I'd even pay for it. Perhaps we need a Kickstarter project to fund it!

Any good machine code hackers want to take a look for us? Kidding...sort of.