Dramatic Under-Exposure Randomly with XPro2

I've found that sometimes, my shots from my XPro2 will randomly come out dramatically under exposed (like 2.5 stops under) for reasons I can't figure out. 

Two sample images attached. Both in "Multi" metering mode (The issue photos have all been in Multi mode, but I have only shot in multi mode, so I don't know whether it does it in other metering modes)

The first, with the pillar was Aperture Priority, +/- 0 EV Comp

The second is also Aperture Priority, with -2/3 EV comp

In both instances, the next few photos (in the same lighting conditions) come out just fine, without adjusting any settings at all. 

Anyone else having this issue?

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

I read, somewhere, that this is a RAW processing issue with the software you are using.  Apparently not all RAW processors properly read the DR settings on the X-Pro2 when Auto DR is used.  It works fine when the DR setting is made manually or in Jpeg mode but not Auto DR on the RAF.

The "my RAF's are darker than my jpeg" issue when shooting RAW + Jpeg has been noted elsewhere.  If you shoot Auto DR, like I do, then this apparently will occur until the software is updated.  The guy that reported this issue said to put in a bug fix request (ticket) with the software company.

This may be what is happening to you.

Yes, it happens from time to time (X-E2, multi-m mode). Not too often to warry about it.

Yeah it hasn't ruined any keepers yet, and the great dynamic range of the sensor means I can push up the exposure as needed without much degradation, but it still leaves me a bit nervous for when a shot DOES matter.

I read, somewhere, that this is a RAW processing issue with the software you are using.  Apparently not all RAW processors properly read the DR settings on the X-Pro2 when Auto DR is used.  It works fine when the DR setting is made manually or in Jpeg mode but not Auto DR on the RAF.

The "my RAF's are darker than my jpeg" issue when shooting RAW + Jpeg has been noted elsewhere.  If you shoot Auto DR, like I do, then this apparently will occur until the software is updated.  The guy that reported this issue said to put in a bug fix request (ticket) with the software company.

This may be what is happening to you.

I'm using Lightroom CC right now, so the well documented list of issues with Lightroom and RAF files would suggest that may be the issue.

Anyone know how to put in a bug fix request ticket? I've been looking for a quick way to send messages or questions to Fuji for a little while and can't come up with anything.

Happened to me, just thought I'd set something wrong in the camera. Guess I won't use multi-metering from now on.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

If you are using LR CC it not the multi-metering mode that is the problem.  I think it is having the Dynamic Range setting set to Auto on the camera.  Double check that setting.  I believe I read it was Auto DR, while using LR CC, that is causing the problem.  Setting the DR manually is not a problem, apparently.

It's a known issue that Lightroom doesn't process the metadata of X-Pro2 DR-Auto RAWs, so shots taken with DR200% need to be manually pushed by 1 EV.

No big deal, and it's also pretty obvious when one compares the initial Lightroom import with the corresponding SOOC JPEG. This is one of several issues LR has with the X-Pro2 and other X cameras. Given that Adobe hasn't fixed most of them in the past 5 years, I don't really expect an update that fixes it. Instead, it's best to know the import errors and correct them manually.

It's a known issue that Lightroom doesn't process the metadata of X-Pro2 DR-Auto RAWs, so shots taken with DR200% need to be manually pushed by 1 EV.

No big deal, and it's also pretty obvious when one compares the initial Lightroom import with the corresponding SOOC JPEG. This is one of several issues LR has with the X-Pro2 and other X cameras. Given that Adobe hasn't fixed most of them in the past 5 years, I don't really expect an update that fixes it. Instead, it's best to know the import errors and correct them manually.

I forced the camera into 400% mode and took a photo, and then 200% mode, and then 100% mode. All three photos look identical in Lightroom CC

Granted, these photos were taken in my office, and not out in bright light where the other two from the OP are taken, but it doesn't seem that the DR settings are affecting anything where I'm at right now. 

I forced the camera into 400% mode and took a photo, and then 200% mode, and then 100% mode. All three photos look identical in Lightroom CC

Of course. I have just explained the nature of the problem. DR-AUTO.

Adobe may or may not fix it. If I had to bet, my money was on "not fix it". But hey, miracles do happen. Sometimes. Rarely.

Then again, DR-AUTO is not recommended, anyway. So maybe the whole thing has some hidden educational purpose? Who knows...

Edited by flysurfer

Of course. I have just explained the nature of the problem. DR-AUTO.

Adobe may or may not fix it. If I had to bet, my money was on "not fix it". But hey, miracles do happen. Sometimes. Rarely.

All that DR-AUTO does is allow the camera to change from 100 to 200 to 400. My camera has been on auto for 7000 photos so far, and has only caused this issue on 5 total photos, across all lighting ranges and conditions, so it seems logical to me that any time I see those lighting conditions, I should see the same under exposure, which is not the case. Even the very next photo in the series taken less than a second later without changing any settings at all looks normal  and exposed correctly. I'm trying to replicate the problem.

You also said:  "so shots taken with DR200% need to be manually pushed by 1 EV." Which I have just tested, and found to be completely false, as shots taken at DR200% look identical to shots taken at DR100%

If you have some method for forcing the issue (which should be the case, if you have knowledge of the issue as strongly as you seem to believe) please share it so that I can replicate it.

The DR-Auto issue was discovered a few weeks ago by a different user. It was easy to track it down to a metadata item that Adobe is ignoring. Fuji knows it, they will probably forward it to Adobe who will probably do nothing. Just like they never did anything for the X100 and DR. Just like they never resolved miscalibrations with the X-E1, X-Pro1, X-E2(S), X-M1, X-T10, X100S, X100T, X70, etc. (they actually did something for the X-T1 eventually, so there's a glimmer of hope). It's also likely that the miscalibration of ISO 51200 in the X-Pro2 will remain. They will probably even carry it over to the X-T2, because Adobe obviously couldn't care less about their Fuji customers.

Then again, it's no big deal, I know all the issues (it's not rocket science) and can easily correct them in less than a second by moving a single slider.

If there's another issue, I don't have it. AFAIK, everything is exposing just fine in the camera, and I have plenty of SOOC JPEGs that show just that.

Edited by flysurfer

The DR-Auto issue was discovered a few weeks ago by a different user. It was easy to track it down to a metadata item that Adobe is ignoring. Fuji knows it, they will probably forward it to Adobe who will probably do nothing. Just like they never did anything for the X100 and DR. Just like they never resolved miscalibrations with the X-E1, X-Pro1, X-E2(S), X-M1, X-T10, X100S, X100T, X70, etc. (they actually did something for the X-T1 eventually, so there's a glimmer of hope). It's also likely that the miscalibration of ISO 51200 in the X-Pro2 will remain. They will probably even carry it over to the X-T2, because Adobe obviously couldn't care less about their Fuji customers.

Then again, it's no big deal, I know all the issues (it's not rocket science) and can easily correct them in less than a second by moving a single slider.

If there's another issue, I don't have it. AFAIK, everything is exposing just fine in the camera, and I have plenty of SOOC JPEGs that show just that.

Here's the SOOC jpeg for the image on the right in the OP post (Merely resized to post). Not exposed just fine. Dramatically under exposed, in camera, including the JPEG.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by RadBadTad

What happens when you put that RAW file back on a sd-card and develop a jpeg in camera?

I just tried it. Found the raw file on the card in-camera, and exported it "as is" and it came out exactly like the jpeg I just posted directly above this comment. When I do it a second time adding 2 stops push before conversion, it comes out more or less "correct" looking. 

Unless you're shooting from a tripod in fixed light, then there's always scope for multi metering to make expsoure changes that have a impact on the overall brightness of the picture.

It's a LITTLE like auto WB, 99% of the time it works great, but every now and then there's something in the scene that that camera rates as middle grey that actually screws up the colour

Same with multi metering.. Maybe the sun was bit brighter for one shot (ie came out from behind a cloud) or perhaps the camera metered off reflected light from a wing mirror or the shiny wheels.

Automation in cameras is generally very, very good these days, but ultimately it's 'only' an algorithm, it's not a human eye looking at a scene...

As posted above... 7000 shots, 5 off exspoures, that's good odds of a correctly metered scene IMO! YMMV

Here's the SOOC jpeg for the image on the right in the OP post (Merely resized to post). Not exposed just fine. Dramatically under exposed, in camera, including the JPEG.

If the live view (with preview pic. effect ON) showed a brighter exposure than the SOOC JPEG, then the camera appears to be broken and should be serviced. 

• 6 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Regarding the DR-AUTO issue, you said:

"t's no big deal, I know all the issues (it's not rocket science) and can easily correct them in less than a second by moving a single slider."

What slider is it that you move?

Just the exposure slider in Lightroom. It effectively just raises the ISO on the image to balance out the exposure, so you lose some dynamic range, but other than that, there's no issue. 

I have a similar problem, but in the other direction. My X-Pro2 showed terrible overexposures since the update to fw 2.00. After examining my RAFs, service told me to send it in... So I did yesterday. I'll post the results here, when they are available...

Edit:

There was something broken in the shutter mechanism. Fuji service repaired it and gave me a free spare camera. Nice service, though... :)

Edited by signore rossi