63 replies to this topic

#41 milandro

milandro

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,512 posts

Posted 07 April 2016 - 12:01 PM

Advertisement (Gone after free registration)

the majority of pixel peepers never ever print anything they produce ( as everyone else) otherwise printing would be a much more profitable commercial activity that it is.

the popular expression wishful thinking is an oxymoron!

Please remove the obnoxious tapatalk signature, it adds nothing to anyone’s contribution and it is only a sneaky way used by tapatalk to push their product by polluting each forum participant with promoting their products. They don’t even pay you for this! Nobody really wants to know about the brand and type of your phone or the program that you use to post on the forum.

#42 Formbox

Formbox

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
  • LocationHamburg

Posted 09 April 2016 - 07:20 PM

So here is Photo Ninja:

Attached Files

#43 Formbox

Formbox

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
  • LocationHamburg

Posted 09 April 2016 - 07:21 PM

And Capture One 9

Attached Files

#44 tomteb

tomteb

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 02 June 2016 - 03:08 PM

Thanks for comparing!!!

#45 Stephenesque

Stephenesque

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 04 August 2016 - 01:01 PM

Hi Everybody,
Concerning the passage from Aperture 3.5 under Mavericks to Aperture 3.6 under Yosemite and El Capitan, I can confirm that this is possible but it requires that Aperture 3.5 be trashed (and Trash emptied) before installing Yosemite or El Capitan. You can then download the 3.6 version from the App Store, because the license is still valid, and install it.
It would be advisable to back up libraries and the application in case you want to go back.
However there is no indication if Aperture will last after El Capitan.

This was explained to me by Apple help, but I haven't done it, mainly because Mavericks is very stable on my aging iMac (2009) and I don't see what I would gain by an upgrade as I have gone over to Capture One 8, which suits my needs and do not use Aperture very often

Also, I feel that we spend too much time (and cash) on upgrades. In film days this was not an issue :-)

Hope this is useful.

Have a nice afternoon
Jeremy

I have only just joined this forum, so forgive me for joining this discussion so late.

I was not aware that one had to trash Aperture in order to keep it, so I simply upgraded from Mavericks to Yosemite, then, 12 months later, to El Capitan without doing anything with Aperture beforehand on either occasion. 

I still have Aperture 3.6 up and running.

• milandro and Mike G like this

#46 Mike G

Mike G

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 438 posts
  • LocationLondon

Posted 04 August 2016 - 04:20 PM

Milandro, I know this a tad late, but I have upgraded to El Capitan and Aperture is still there and functional so obviously El C did not remove it!

One of the worst decisions Apple have post the Steve Jobs era was to ditch Aperture!

Edited by Mike G, 04 August 2016 - 04:21 PM.

• milandro and Stephenesque like this

#47 milandro

milandro

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,512 posts

Posted 04 August 2016 - 04:30 PM

good to hear, it has disappeared from a friend o mine’s computer and it has prevented me, among other reasons, to upgrade, I will still wait but it is nice to know I can.

• Mike G and Stephenesque like this

the popular expression wishful thinking is an oxymoron!

Please remove the obnoxious tapatalk signature, it adds nothing to anyone’s contribution and it is only a sneaky way used by tapatalk to push their product by polluting each forum participant with promoting their products. They don’t even pay you for this! Nobody really wants to know about the brand and type of your phone or the program that you use to post on the forum.

#48 Max_Elmar

Max_Elmar

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 114 posts

Posted 05 August 2016 - 09:33 PM

Still using Aperture for volunteer photo work for my son's swim team. Still works surprisingly well, esp. with the NEFs from my D7000. Since the raw support is  built into the OS I see no reason one couldn't continue to use it until it is no longer supported by the OS. For Fuji - still loving RAF conversions from Iridient best of all, so...

#49 Sator-Photography

Sator-Photography

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 97 posts

Posted 06 August 2016 - 04:01 AM

I just tried comparing Iridient vs Silkypix Pro 7. 

In terms of sharpness I see no difference between Iridient and Silkypix, but Silkypix renders colour much better. Iridient makes the colours much more grey than either the in camera JPEG file or Silkypix. The other problem with LR is that over the last few months the film simulations have become almost unusable due to the unwelcome emergence of strange colour artifacts. As soon as I tried out Silkypix Pro I instantly regained the full use of the Fuji film simulations.

The colour rendering is the main reason I am now principally using Silkypix Studio Developer Pro 7. 

#50 adzman808

adzman808

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 338 posts

Posted 06 August 2016 - 01:10 PM

I just tried comparing Iridient vs Silkypix Pro 7. 

In terms of sharpness I see no difference between Iridient and Silkypix, but Silkypix renders colour much better. Iridient makes the colours much more grey than either the in camera JPEG file or Silkypix. The other problem with LR is that over the last few months the film simulations have become almost unusable due to the unwelcome emergence of strange colour artifacts. As soon as I tried out Silkypix Pro I instantly regained the full use of the Fuji film simulations.

The colour rendering is the main reason I am now principally using Silkypix Studio Developer Pro 7. 

FWIW, I've become quite the SP7 Pro fan...

There's a bit of a learning curve, and I can see why people don't like it...

For colour work I think it's great, not only does it have reasonable approximations of the Fuji film sims, but the inbuilt colour profiles can be useful too

Overall though... I think it's actually starting to harmonise between the various products!

It wasn't so long ago that many were complaining about ALL the raw converters...

Now we may have our personal favourites... But people are happily using LR/SP7/ID/PN/C1* for rafs and getting results that they're happy with

I think that's great personally

*maybe not so much happiness from X-Pro2 owners :) (no compressed raw support or ability to read raf meta data RE lens corrections, unless this has changed very recently)

Cheers, Adam
My Website, home of the largest X-Pro series opinion piece on the 'net:
http://adambonn.com/

#51 jlmphotos

jlmphotos

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 460 posts
  • LocationTime Split between New Jersey and Maine

Posted 06 August 2016 - 01:47 PM

I do love Iridient!  Unfortunately, it takes me out of my Lightroom workflow, and when reviewing thousands of images at a time it's hard to leave LR.  With that being said I despise Adobe in all it's flavors!  Hate and abhor them.  If they ever go to the pay as you go model with LR, I'm out.  I will definitely use Iridient, and Affinity a bit more, maybe the photo mechanics app as well.  I don't know.  

I do use ID as an external editor from within LR, but only sparingly go to it for images I feel can be made better.

Jorge L. Moro   | X-T1 |  X-T2 | 18-55 |  Zeiss 12/2.8  |  Fuji 16 1.4  |   Fuji 23 1.4 | Fuji 35 1.4 | Fuji 60 2.4 Macro | Fuji 55-200  |

My websitexshooters blog  |  Flickr  | 

#52 JBoris

JBoris

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • LocationAtlanta, GA

Posted 12 August 2016 - 01:54 AM

I don't like the subscription model either, but I still use Lightroom as a standalone. I recently updated from LR5 to the latest version so I could open XP2 raw files but only after three webchats with Adobe. The £50 upgrade wasn't advertised anywhere on their site.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi Warwick,

Like you (and many), I'm a longtime LR user who still uses my standalone LR Version 5.7, so your comment intrigues me. This version will open the RAF files from my X100T, but not my the RAWs from my (new) XPro2. Are you saying that there is an unadvertised version beyond LR 5.7 that can open XPro2 RAWs? And what is its version #?

Thanks very much!!

#53 Warwick

Warwick

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 269 posts

Posted 12 August 2016 - 09:42 AM

Yes, I have a standalone version of LR6.5 which handles raw files from my XPro2 just fine. It cost me £50 to upgrade from version 5, but I had to get in touch with Adobe to find out about it. I can't see it listed anywhere on their site - they seem to want everyone to pay a subscription, which makes it much more expensive.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

#54 adventsam

adventsam

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 19 August 2016 - 10:01 PM

I have found a new plug-in to LR that rivals irident, if you have any raw samples you want me to demonstrate with drop a link here.

#55 JaapD

JaapD

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 50 posts

Posted 22 August 2016 - 02:28 PM

Waiting for the PC version of Iridient, or C1 with fully functioning lens corrections for the X-Pro2 & X-T2, whichever comes first....

• struttob likes this

#56 adventsam

adventsam

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 22 August 2016 - 09:39 PM

Irident possibly has the same smearing as LR, here's an example.

https://www.dpreview...s/post/58228714

#57 KaGee

KaGee

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 24 August 2016 - 09:12 AM

I used Lightroom for quite a few years, but thanks to Adobe trying to force everyone in their cloud subscription model, I am now in the process of switching to CaptureOne Pro 9.

Lightroom's interface and library functions are very nice, but it is certainly not very good for developing Fuji files (at least up to 5.7). Also, I refuse to pay for an update to 6.x (the stand alone version is very well hidden on their site), which to me is basically a minor update and a bug fix (speed). So goodbye Adobe. And I still haven't forgiven them buying the vastly superior Pixmantec RawShooter and taking it off the market before launching Lightroom 1.

I like the colors of Capture One a LOT. Iridient is amazing in the detail field, but requires more attention to color and has no library function at all. The combination of both should be more than enough, so I am not very interested in spending time on even more alternatives (Raw Therapy, Photo Ninja).

Basically I think Fuji jpg's are good enough most of the time, with the occasional need for tweaking beyond the capabilities of jpg. So I shoot jpg + RAW and I wish there was a good way of sorting out images and simultaneously deleting both RAW and jpg.

Whilst spending only half an hour or so on Silkypix, I think it is way too frustrating.

Now, there is one weird thing about Fuji jpg's, call me crazy if you will: they look stunning to me (YMMV) when displayed full screen on my older 27" Mac Retina (the sRGB version). Only when pixel peeping at level 1 (100%) the detail disappoints (sharpening +2 X-E1). It is amazing what Iridient can do regarding fine detail, just tried it with my new 35mm f2 toy. Rest assured, I never pixel peep at level 2 (200%) or 3 (300 %).

All I have to do now is migrate my Lightroom catalog, play around with the Fuji profiles somewhere on this forum and hope that Phase One and Fuji finally become good friends, just in case I might buy an X-T2 somewhere in the next half year :-)

#58 Malsam

Malsam

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
  • LocationSingapore

Posted 29 August 2016 - 09:09 AM

For those who are using aperture...I'm not sure can I still trust a discontinued software to handle current files especially RAW from the newer cameras? I hate to let go of aperture as well but I switch to LR a year ago and didn't really like it. I'm really thinking of switching it back to Aperture or Iridient.

#59 Gareth_E

Gareth_E

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts
  • LocationNorthamptonshire, UK

Posted 04 September 2016 - 10:57 AM

I really wish I didn't like the results of Iridient Developer as much as I do, as it has now taken me down the path of a more inefficient workflow to obtain the best results. At first I was happy with the results from the latest version of LR (and for the most part I am) but even now, as soon as there is a lot of grass / foliage in view, LR just cannot cope, and the watercolour/smeary texture returns.  I have tried the past advice of putting the detail slider to 100, and then adjusting the amount, and although it does seem to help compared the the 'regular' sharpening, it is still quite bad. 

I think I am going to be happy with the IQ in Lightroom for 80% of my images, and for those that i'm not, I will have to adapt the slightly inefficient workflow of taking them into Iridient Developer. 

#60 DerKnipser

DerKnipser

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 20 September 2016 - 09:38 AM

@Formbox: May I download your raw file somewhere, because I want to compare darktable - to see how are the results.

Thx

x

Registration is free

Not registered? Really?

Discover the full potential of the Fuji X Forum... register now!
Registration is free and done in a few minutes!

As registered member you can discuss, post your questions and present your images.
And get in contact with Fuji X photographers worldwide!

We are looking forward to you!

The Fuji X Forum Team

Register Close