xt1, or xt10?

Guest john

Guest john

Am a very happy x100 user, and have decided to trade my current DSLR(5dmk2) and lenses. My dilemma is, xt1 or xt10.

Any thoughts?

The main reasons to grab an X-T1 are the weather sealing, the iso dial if you use it, and that it looks more like a pro camera that would handle big lenses well, than the X-T10 that looks kind of cheap / toy like and probably feels out of balance with a 90mm, not even speaking about the big zooms.

If you think you might want to upgrade at some point, you will, so rather go directly for the X-T1 honestly.

If you don't need the weather sealing and will only use lenses like 14, 23 35 56, an X-T10 can be a good option.

I used the X-T10 yesterday with nearly every lens Fuji has out. (No, the 90mm was not available.) As someone with an X-T1 (and X100S) looking for a second body, I was thinking about either a second hand X-T1 or a brand new X-T10. After using it, I've put in my pre-order for the X-T10. If I had no existing Fuji cameras, the X-T10 is still what I'd go for. If a used X-T1 doesn't appeal to you then the X-T10 is unquestionably the way to go; 50% of the price and, to me, 95% of the performance. If money is no object to you then the X-T1 still is the better camera, obviously.

I really didn't think I'd like the T10, but using it I found several things to like over getting another X-T1:
- The more rubbery covering makes it easier to hold with one hand, even though it's a smaller unit. I noticed this especially when using the tilt screen to take a shot overhead.
- The dials seem harder to accidentally knock, even though they don't seem to have any way of locking. They're just that little bit smaller and out of the way.
- It feels better proportioned for the smaller lenses like the 14mm, 60mm, 27mm and 18-55.

- Though the EVF is noticably smaller, it's a tiny bit nicer than the X-E2's EVF and when I pointed it towards dark areas, I felt it looked nicer than the X-T1's. By having the same resolution and refresh rate but scaled down, it actually looks smoother.

Conversely, there were a couple of things which did make me hesitate, and the X-T1 still does better:
- Assigning an unmarked function dial to ISO is one action slower and not quite as nice to use as the ISO dial of the X-T1.
- The EVF of the X-T1 obviously is much larger and in normal light and bright light, the X-T10's doesn't remotely compare.
- The X-T10 started to feel very slightly unbalanced with the 16m and 56mm lenses and was totally ridiculous with the 50-140. (But even the X-T1 feels too small compared to the 50-140.) The 90mm wasn't there to try, but I'm sure it will dwarf the X-T10, too.
- The X-T10 definitely does look cheaper. There's no getting around it, it's got much more plastic and rubber and looks like a toy when you hold it next to a graphite silver X-T1.

I decided to put an order in for the X-T10 because, as a second body, saving a little size and weight is nice and the differences in build quality, EVF and dials don't bother me, considering how I'll be using it.

If I didn't have the X-T1, I'd probably still buy the X-T10 because the difference in price is almost the same as a lens, and that is what I would suggest for you. You're getting virtually the same camera—same sensor, same AF, same tilt screen—for half the price. Buy an X-T10 and a 16mm, 23mm or 56mm lens for almost the same price the X-T1 body alone will cost. In fact I'm pretty sure you'll be able to buy the X-T10 and the 35mm f/1.4 for the exact same price as an X-T1.
If you'd buy a used X-T1, that evens things out a bit but the X-T10 is still cheaper and now I know how similar they are, I'd still suggest you save money and get the X-T10.
If you can easily afford an X-T1 and every lens you want without thinking twice then just go for the X-T1. It is a nicer camera, it's just not twice-the-price-nice if you want to be at all smart with your money.

My second X-T10 is finally on its way and I intend to use it for an assignment this weekend. Hopefully, I'll be able to gather new experiences. Next week, I'll be available for questions that my First Look in X-Pert Corner didn't answer. Of course, I'll also write a book on the X-T10 (German and English). It will be out rather sooner than later, hopefully no later than September.

Guest john

Acefibble, thanks for the great reply, it pretty well confirmed my reasoning behind opting for the xt10. Am primarily a prime lens shooter, so the plan is as you said, to get the body, with the 35mm and another prime, that said the body plus 18-50 will be selling for 1099 here in Ireland.

So not a bad deal for that lens.

Flysurfer, am looking forward to that post!

Well, to put it simply - I've pre-ordered an XT 10 from those nice people at WEX.

Ordered the black version with the kit 16-50 lens.

All I have to do is sit back and wait for delivery.

As I don't have a camera at the moment I might become a tad impatient.

But only having it in my hands will let me know IF I've made the right decision.

Well, to put it simply - I've pre-ordered an XT 10 from those nice people at WEX.

Ordered the black version with the kit 16-50 lens.

All I have to do is sit back and wait for delivery.

As I don't have a camera at the moment I might become a tad impatient.

But only having it in my hands will let me know IF I've made the right decision.

Good to see your interest in Fuji cameras.  If you don't mind me asking, which other makes and models were you consider and what ultimately was your decision to go with the X-T10.  Its good to see new people come to the brand based on the X-T10 release.

If you can wait... you can compare the new AF implementation between the X-T1 and X-T10. For my part currently shooting an X-E1, there were enough upgrades, there's a "new camera warranty", there's getting in the mainstream of a new software upgrade cycle, and the sense that the implementation of the new AF wouldn't likely be the same (hardware?)... so it seemed worth jumping. I'm adding a X-T10 grip... like I've done for my X-E1 where I also have a Thumb rest... and haven't had any issues balancing the XF18-135 zoom... but then I have small hands and it all works fine. What will I miss? WR and the ISO dial. The latter I can move to one of the dials apparently... cool. But the end of the day? I traded all my Pentax K gear out the beginning of the year and switched into Fuji using the X-E1...as a "trial horse". So my trial horse is upgrading... but the end goal will be to pick up the WR on a successor model to the X-T1... whenever that day comes. Your mileage may differ! Good luck!

Good to see your interest in Fuji cameras.  If you don't mind me asking, which other makes and models were you consider and what ultimately was your decision to go with the X-T10.  Its good to see new people come to the brand based on the X-T10 release.

TBH, there were no other brands to be considered.

The only other camera that could tempt me away from Fuji is the Canon 1Dx...

But I'm sure you can appreciate that such a camera comes with a huge price premium, and the enormus weight and price of those lenses...

Nope, after having owned an X-Pro 1, Fuji is the only brand getting my money for now.

I'm not a must have the latest tech either. I was all ready to order another X-Pro 1 again until this got announced at such a great price. But I think I may change the kit lens to a 23mm f1.4 - not a real zoom fan any more. And I DO LOVE the Aperture Ring being a fan of the old Canon A1 SLR camera in film days....

Meant to add the following info: Previously used Canon 5D2's since released along with a mutlitude of L class lenses and EXII Speedlights. Also used a Nikon 7900 in WP housing for scuba diving, and during film days the Canon A1(my all time favourite camera still).

http://myworldof.photography/who-am-my/ - this pretty much sums up my photographic history and some of my pics. I've pretty much been at it a long time and very much enjoyed the one body one lens style of working i had with the X-Pro 1.

Used to enjoy carrying it around in my pocket instead of some rucksack that was trying to break my back.

The only other camera that could tempt me away from Fuji is the Canon 1Dx...

Ha, I sold my 1D X specifically after trying Fuji here and there. Incredible camera otherwise, but once I bought an X100S and then tried the X-T1, the 1D X just felt like a waste in terms of size and weight, and it sold for enough to buy an X-T1, three lenses and some non-camera treats!

You've definitely made the right decision. Not everybody in the world would agree, I'm sure, but as an ex-1D X owner myself, I would say you picked wisely. The X-T10 is 95% of the camera the X-T1 is at 50% of the price and both are so much more useable than the 1D X, and I don't feel I've lost anything in image quality, either. If the 1D X was the only other camera you were considering, going for the X-T10 is smart.

(Funny, I used to have a Canon A-1, too. Loved that thing. Keep thinking I should buy another just to have some fun with.)

Funny, I used to have a Canon A-1, too. Loved that thing. Keep thinking I should buy another just to have some fun with

Done that - bought a mint A1 and a variety of films (up to 3200 asa mono & B/W). It was great fun for a while - but the simple truth is, I've become spoiled by the benefits of digital.

Waiting for the film to be processed AND having to get it digitised to work with!!! And the A1 Squeak :-(

That said, it's digital have only just started to overtake it in many areas - nearly 40 years after it came into being. Now that's a testament to a real camera.

What I really love about the Fuji system is the Aperture ring - really does take me back to old school photography. How many people realise that the left hand was for resting the camera in AND adjusting the aperture ring with????

Hence I will have to change my order away from getting the XT-10 with the kit lens - it has NO aperure ring. NO GOOD for me :-(

Think I will have to settle for the 35mm f1.4, not sure I have the budget for the 23mm f1.4 :-( But at least I will be taking photo's :-)

A challenging dilemma which ultimately YOU have to decide. A lot of great points in this thread, but for me, I would go for the X-T1. My reason being it's FUJI's top dog and complete in term's of function. Sure, you spend less on the light version (X-T10) but you're losing out on some of the things that makes the X-T1 magic. Alas, good luck with your final decision.

In repsect of choice - mine was set by a pre specified budget that orginally allowed me to buy an X-Pro 1 with an 18mm and 27mm len kit.

The announcment and release of the XT-10 then allowed another choice assuming I chose the 16-15 kit lens.

My view was very much that the newer body would be more beneficial as it would be cheaper to buy the desired lens later, and if in that time it was updated with newer faster focus motors to work with the newer faster A/F systems, then I would be able to get the lenses that would benefit from such newer technology.

Would I like an XT-1? Of course I would - I'm most definitely an all weather photographer by any definition - but sadly I do not have the budget to buy such a camera.

Newer faster A/F, 51200 ISO and WiFI answer some of my wishes for any X-Pro 2.

Yes, I am a hand held low light photography freak and have been known to hand hold at 1/4 sec, and also deliberately shoot with ISO 6400 and above to get grain into a shot.

In days of film, 1 of my 3 A1 bodies always had a roll of 3200asa colour or 1600asa mono film pre-loaded.

My 5D2's had an excllent ISO of 6400 that produced wonderful images when walking along Brighton sea front late at night.

That the XT-10 will take the cable release from my old X-Pro 1 and make use of the fit in your pocket (almost) Manfrotto tripod means I can continue a style of photography I enjoy but with the benefit of the WiFi to get some more natural shots using the app for remote control :-)

As Ansal Adams said - the best camera you have is the one you have with you - and as I have NO camera at the moment, I'll take the XT-10 over the X-Pro 1 (sadly - cos I loved the X-Pro 1).

• 11 months later...

Is there actually any difference between both in what regards to function's performance/speed focus?

All I see is a different "box" (X-T1 is way more eye appealing and comfortable for my hand size), but for half the price, if the performance is the same, I'm getting a X-T10 and some nice glass!

Is there actually any difference between both in what regards to function's performance/speed focus?

All I see is a different "box" (X-T1 is way more eye appealing and comfortable for my hand size), but for half the price, if the performance is the same, I'm getting a X-T10 and some nice glass!

Weather resistance is something that could be of importance. I know it is for me. But that aside, the X-T10 has some more features for the auto mode where you can pre/auto-select some kind of profiles but you only get jpeg out of them.

For the rest, it's fairly the same thing, small bits here and there like the EvF that is smaller on the X-T10 and no alternate eye-cup like the X-T1.

• 3 months later...

Does the X-T10 have all of the AF options that were made available in FW4.0 for the X-T1?

I am leaning towards the X-T1 for the viewfinder and better handling, but the $ saved by going X-T10 could be put towards more glass.

The X-T10 was actually released with the features even before the X-T1 got them.