X-Pro2 DR expansion settings used in RAW?

I was able to borrow the X-Pro2 for a day and overall impressions very positive.

However there was one thing in particular that left me rather confused and it's the following. I did a number of tests at high ISO, generally ISO6400 in contrasty low light scenes such as a church, trying to chose an exposure which would be able to recover highlights such as stained glass but also bring out the shadows using LR6.4. I found that the amount of highlight recovery to my surprise varied depending on the DR camera setting and in general was noticeably less than an identically exposed X-E1 shot. DR100 and DR200 or AUTO (which defaulted to 100 or 200) to recovered fewer details than DR400. This would be expected in JPEG but I thought not in RAW? My X-E1 performed similarly in highlight recovery irrespective of the camera DR setting.

The question is really - and one which I'm sure Rico in particular will probably be able to help with: does the Pro2 adjust its DR processing according to the in-camera setting. If that is the case, does a) the X-E1 either ignore it -unlikely it would seem as even with the X-E1 there are some difference in lighting-- or is lightroom buggy in highlight processing in some way? As regards the latter, it does look like Silkypix RFC works to some extent the same way though as this software is poor in HDR functionality, it is hard to draw definitive conclusions so we need to wait for other apps to add RAW support. c) some other explanation.

Is it possible that using compressed RAW's causes the seeming compression of the highlight range? Regrettably, I forgot to test with uncompressed before returning the camera but I think it could be an important issue for those who do a lot of low light shooting. Perhaps someone else has already tested the difference or could do so? I should state that shadows are very noticeably cleaner with the Pro2 at high ISO and overall, the sensor seems to have made significant strides forward.

David

Edited by dko22

Rico did confirmed in another post that DR setting is indeed affecting the RAW files on the X-T1, considering the X-Pro2 is build on the "same" architecture, it wouldn't be surprising to see the same effects on the X-Pro2.

All this is, of course, purely guess work from my part as I won't be holding another X-Pro2 any time soon.

My First Look provides DR examples and mentions differences to previous models: https://fujixsecrets.wordpress.com/2016/01/16/first-look-fujifilm-x-pro2/

I particularly like the new DR50% option for RAW shooters (by selecting ISO 100). 

indeed it does which is why I wondered whether you might have any similar observations or tips as regards high ISO compared to previous models. Most specifically as to whether uncompressed RAW can give a greater highlight recovery than compressed (which I wouldn't instinctively expect) or camera DR400 is better than DR100/200

Edited by dko22