Weather Sealing Permanently Compromised? X-Pro1/X-Pro2 Sync Terminal Cap Replacement Problem

This is essentially an old topic since it dates back to the X-Pro1, but since the X-Pro2 is out, I think it's still a relevant question and potential problem.

As X-Pro1 owners already know the cap/cover for the most under-utilized feature on the camera would be that pc sync terminal is unique in that it is push in type and the the typical screw in one.. so, it's damn easy to lose.. just lost mine the other day.

Sadly, there never seem to have been any replacement part offered by Fuji... after all this time.. and from what I can see, the X-Pro2 has the same stupid sync terminal that takes a unique push in type cap/cover.

Now, I have the X-Pro2 on order and I anticipate this cap/cover to still be an issue.. I wouldn't' be so concerned, but the X-Pro2 is now weather sealed and if you lose the sync terminal cap/cover, and there is no replacement part offered by Fujifilm, then the X-Pro2's weather sealing is permanently compromised?.. Does this make sense to any of you guys/gals?

I've sent my concern to Fujifilm via an email.. good luck waiting for a proper response, huh?  Still, don't you think this is a major oversight and needs to be addressed?.. Really sucks if an opening and potential breach in weather sealing on such a expensive and high end camera has no quick and easy fix such as offering a replacement cap.. that's all it takes, but some reason Fujifilm doesn't seem to think it's important enough to address and offer.. what do you have to do?.. send in the camera just to get a replacement cap?.. buy another X-Pro just for spare parts just for this one little cap?

I believe I've done my homework to see if I could find a replacement cap, but no luck.  Anybody know of a suitable replacement cap?

i know, but, no, the x-t1 has screw in type which is better.

I think fuji went with the push in type on the x-pro cause it's smaller and thinner and less profile.. doesn't mess with the surface flatness on the side of the camera as much is my guess, but unfortunately, it's pretty damn easy to lose and very hard to replace.

With as many X-Pro's which have been sold and having been out for so long, you would think Fuji would have noticed this issue and offered a proper replacement cap.. but, from what I can see, they never did and don't see one yet.. they should really offer since the x-pro2 will have the same problem.

Edited by Wing0949

Is that far fetched to assume having the exact same sync terminal and cap on the x-pro1 as on the x-pro2 that it will have potential for same problem?

I can assume all I want.. I assume I will have an awesome time with the x-pro2 camera and assume it will be THE camera I will keep and use and probably stop G.A.S. for a long time.. What I do not assume is that I will necessarily be right about all this and then some.. but, I have the right to assume all I want and stand corrected and rethink my position later after I've used it.

Still, I believe my concerns are valid, regardless.

Edited by FX Admin
No insults please...

Ive used XP1's pretty much since day 1 and have never noticed any weather problems via the socket

So even if its the same on XP2 I can't see it being a problem 

I have an XP2 but its in my studio so cannot confirm 

If you're really worried stick a bit of gaffer tape over it 

Ive used XP1's pretty much since day 1 and have never noticed any weather problems via the socket

So even if its the same on XP2 I can't see it being a problem 

I have an XP2 but its in my studio so cannot confirm 

If you're really worried stick a bit of gaffer tape over it 

To be honest, i'm not terribly worried about weather sealing since I never use my stuff in such adverse conditions. BUT, just in case, it would be great to have that FULL weather sealing just to know the camera is as protected against the elements as much as possible.

I don't anticipate if the sync terminal cap goes M.I.A. that I would be at high risk of camera failure from that.. I think it's more a mental thing.. 1) I don't want ANY original components from my cameras missing and unavailable & 2) aesthetically it looks better to just have that sync terminal covered.

Regardless, I don't like the knowledge once that cap is lost, there's essentially an open hole on the side of the camera.

Yes, I could cut a small piece of gaffer or electrical tape to fit over the terminal if the cap gets lost, but I think it looks kind of ghetto.. I don't like the idea of patching and fixing my camera with tape.

Anyways, this is a component that Fuji should make available for purchase.. I could understand if it was just on the x-pro1, being over 4 years old, they may not have that part any more, But, this is the X-Pro2, also, which is new and they should have all current parts and accessories available for such a new camera. No excuse not to.. How hard and expensive could that little cap be to mass produce and make available to X-Pro2 (& X-Pro1) customers who have lost their sync terminal cap?

Edited by Wing0949

... maybe an over-reaction on my part.. FYI, can get the x-pro terminal cap, just have to call customer service parts & accessories to special order it, costs under $7 + shipping.  ordered extra 3 just in case while I had the phone to get the part.

I lost that little dinky thing.  I actually sealed the Sync terminal with some sugaru.  Problem solved.

Psst.. It's Sugru ;]

And I love it, got myself several packs of them to fix part of my umbrella, holes in my shoe along a computer headset hanger right on the side of my computer casing.

That cap was the first thing I noticed when I got my X-Pro2.

Those little caps used to be ten and penny a few years back. I used to find drifts of them in the corners of the studio. Yes they come off and get lost but you could pop into any local camera store and buy a pack of ten. The best ones had little tabs on the edge that you could tie a string through them to tie them to the cameras strap lug.

Now though finding a replacement for those things is bloody hard, everything I can find on ebay and Amazon is the screw in type not the push on and there are almost no local camera shops left to ask.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/764798-REG/Nisha_PCSC_PC_Socket_Cap.html

2 dollars 50 cents for one dinky little cap? - personally I'd just tape it over with some black electrical tape.

That's probably the closest thing I've seen to a replacement cap (non-Fujifilm) that should work.. it's a little thicker on the cap, though so it would protrude more than the Fujifilm one.  Still, as a cap, appears it should fit and work.

But, you can call Fujifilm parts & accessories to get the actual one... which I actually have done already.. fyi, the item is part #: BB24156-100.  Cost a bit more, but at least I know it's a dead match to the original.

There is NO SUCH THING as a "weather sealed" camera, this is a delusion that is very common out there

NO camera is sealed against pervasive weather

rather short term INVASIVE weather.

A pile of rubber gaskets mitigate SOME water intrusion.............SOME, and ONLY some.

it doesnt change humidity intrusion, which is 100 to 1 the top killer of weather destruction of cameras.

There is NO SUCH THING as a "weather sealed" camera, this is a delusion that is very common out there

NO camera is sealed against pervasive weather

rather short term INVASIVE weather.

A pile of rubber gaskets mitigate SOME water intrusion.............SOME, and ONLY some.

it doesnt change humidity intrusion, which is 100 to 1 the top killer of weather destruction of cameras.

You're probably mostly correct for most cameras which are spec'd out to say "weather resistant" .. although, a lot of people still happen to call this weather sealed as well, which is probably not 100% accurate.

However, I would not say "NO camera is sealed against pervasive weather" is true, either. I think cameras that can be fully submerged for rugged active photo shooting such as the Olympus Tough & Leica X-U (an ugly camera IMHO) cameras are a perfect example of a camera that could be considered "weather sealed" since it is pretty damn fully protected from being submerged.. can't get much more weather sealed than that.

Edited by Wing0949