Will you buy a X100 (X200) with a 28mm equiv. lens?

One of the main reasons for me liking the X100 series so much is the 35mm equiv. lens. Now the (grain of salt) rumor is out that the X200 will have a 28mm lens. For me this rumor gets more believable as Fuji has hinted to introduce a compact 35mm f2 lens for its interchangeable cameras.
It looks to me as Fuji wants to try to make a Leica Q competitor with the X200 and there is nothing wrong with that.

In practical shooting conditions 28mm and 35 isn't that far apart and I enjoy using the WCL on occasion, but personally I find the 35mm suits me more. Currently I'm not sure if I would buy a X200 with a 28mm lens as I think I would find myself cropping to 35mm often and the 24MP advantage of the new camera would be gone. It also looks like that Fuji (with the X70) is going the route of digitally cropping and up-scaling the image in jpg mode only if you want to shoot "another focal length", which I find not particularly useful.

I think in order to consider a X200 with a 28mm lens, the following should happen:

1. There should be a "real" crop mode a la Leica Q with the option of RAW+JPG

or

2. An optional compact TCL which brings the focal length up to 35mm and makes use of the 24mp of the new sensor. 

What about you? Would you purchase a X200 with a 28mm lens?

PS: I'm still hoping the 28mm rumor is false.

Now the (grain of salt) rumor is out that the X200 will have a 28mm lens.

Grain of salt? There is a whole salt mine lying right there. 

The X100 series cameras live from their 35mm and Hybrid viewfinder designs. Combined with TCL and WCL that's a great system that a Leica Q can't beat, other than in brand image. I've handled a Leica Q last week and while it was nice, there is no way in hell I'd swap my X100T for a Leica Q, even if it was a free exchange (except I could sell the Q, get an X100T again and add another Fuji camera to it). 

Now if Fuji were to bring a camera that has a fixed 50mm f/1.4 lens, plus a WCL for 28mm equivalent and a TCL for 85mm equivalent (which can be f/1.8 or f/2) that would certainly get my attention as long as it stays in roughly the same dimensions as the current X100 series.

Edited by cug

I suspect if they introduce a 28mm X200 and kill the X100 series, the resale value of the earlier cameras will rise markedly! I find 28mmm too wide for a single focal length camera, and I'm not convinced by the crop modes - I don't think I'd even use a Leica-style mode, which preserves the full frame if you change your mind; I'd rather crop in post.

Crop modes are marketing BS, just like "digital zoom".

There is no way to get detail back that wasn't captured in the first place. Sure, upscaling is possible, but it can never ever recover detail that was lost due to taking only the center of the captured frame and scaling it up. We aren't in a spy movie here where the agency that doesn't officially exist takes a single pixel and extrapolates a high res image from it.

The Leica Q is also larger and heavier than an X100T. From a versatility perspective I prefer the X100T but I have to say I wish I could get that viewfinder from the Q!

I don't think I'd get any value out of a 28mm equivalent lens. I often feel that the 35mm equivalent lens is too wide for my style of shooting. If they offered it with a lens either 40-50mm equivalent I'd probably get it. I understand everyone is looking for different things and I thought it may be interesting if they introduced the camera with different lens focal lengths, sort of like the Sigma Quattro. Still a fixed lens, but you can buy the one that meets your needs. The market for this probably is not large enough though.

I would be really disappointed with a 28mm eq. FOV. Digital crop to 35mm seems like a waste of the 24 MP sensor which we have been waiting years to get. If they put in an actual 28mm lens I would be so happy as that gets closer to my ideal 50mm FOV. Not gonna happen, I know.

I'd also absolutely HATE if TCL and WCL wouldn't fit anymore.

Even if they would physically fit, I don't think the performance would be what we are used to. The WCL and TCL are specifically calculated for the current X100 lens. As soon as the lens changes, a new set is required to have optimal performance.

As long as they give us a couple of MUCH smaller (and if possible less ugly and please not silver colored...) converters I'm in, even with a 28mm lens.

Actually, should Fuji decide to shake things a little and create an 85mm eq. converter I'd be even happier, given a 24/28mm + a 85/90mm is my usual two lenses kit.

So an X200 plus an X-T10/X-Pro2 with a 55-200 could cover nicely 99% of what I shoot, with the huge (at least for me) added benefit of not having to deal with dust on the sensor for most of the pictures.

I sure hope, though, that at Fuji they come to their senses and put a tilt screen on the camera!

Edited by addicted2light

Even if they would physically fit, I don't think the performance would be what we are used to. The WCL and TCL are specifically calculated for the current X100 lens. As soon as the lens changes, a new set is required to have optimal performance.

If they were just to improve the current 23mm lens design but keep basic design values like front element size, that's not necessarily true. 

I've never had the desire to buy a single focal length fixed lens camera.

If I was going to shoot one focal length all day long, I'd attach that lens to the camera and that would be that.

If I was to buy a secondary fixed lens camera, something that had a variable zoom would be much more useful, to complement what ever prime lens I had on the MILC.

I guess I'd find 1 focal length too limiting to justify spending £1000+ Especially when I already have access to an XT-10, X-Pro 1 and X-A1 , with 18, 27, 35 , 60 primes, and XC 16-50 & 50 -230 zooms, granted I am missing the XF23 F/1.4 Prime, but I can adjust with my feet if needed (although I may buy the XF23 F/2.0 if it actually happens).

Any of those cameras, with any of the Primes are pretty pocket-able cameras, I don't see the need to get a slightly smaller camera, which is fixed to one focal length.

I feel the only way i'd consider a single focal length camera, would be if it came with all the X-Pro 2 improvements and was the cost of a lens for the X Mount

Any of those cameras, with any of the Primes are pretty pocket-able cameras, I don't see the need to get a slightly smaller camera, which is fixed to one focal length.

I feel the only way i'd consider a single focal length camera, would be if it came with all the X-Pro 2 improvements and was the cost of a lens for the X Mount

I don't think I'd call any of the mounted prime lenses pocketable besides the 27mm, and even then I'm thinking jacket pocket or cargo pocket. I wish Fuji could somehow shrink the X100 line to the Ricoh GR size without losing the viewfinder. I also didn't think I'd like a fixed focal length camera, until I tried it on the X100S. 

• 2 months later...

I just sold my Ricoh GR and bought the X100T mostly for the 35 lens. It's all I want and all I need in a camera like this. If the Leica Q had a 35 I would own it. I always shot my GR in 35 crop mode and it was a bummer. I'm hoping for a full frame 35 camera that I like. I'm not really sold on the Sony RX1R II. A little faster better AF on the X100T replacement and the 24mm sensor and I would buy it.

I just sold my Ricoh GR and bought the X100T mostly for the 35 lens. It's all I want and all I need in a camera like this. If the Leica Q had a 35 I would own it. I always shot my GR in 35 crop mode and it was a bummer. I'm hoping for a full frame 35 camera that I like. I'm not really sold on the Sony RX1R II. A little faster better AF on the X100T replacement and the 24mm sensor and I would buy it.

We share some common ground. Like you, I much prefer a 35mm FOV (and, in my case, even a 50mm FOV) over a 28mm FOV (and cannot do crop mode). For this reason, I have never really bonded with my Ricoh GR, nor the Leica Q that I owned for a short period of time. Previously, I also owned a Sony RX1r, but, while it has great IQ, I really never liked its functionality, haptics, and non-updated firmware. Thus, I have no interest in the RX1R II and, instead, may soon buy an X100T and, like you, would, without question, own a Leica Q35 if it becomes a reality.

Edited by ramosa

• 2 weeks later...

I'd be disappointed with a 28mm equivalent lens.  The 35 on my 100s somehow seems perfect for 99% of the shots I take.  My feeling is that if they put a new improved lens of the same focal length on the next camera in the series and added a tilt screen and a few other improvements (improved battery life) a lot of people would gladly buy it.