110 replies to this topic

#21 T-Man

T-Man

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 63 posts

Posted 18 February 2016 - 04:40 PM

Advertisement (Gone after free registration)

That lens is notoriously soft at closer focus distances though. 

Not that there is really such a thing as a new formula these days; however there are levels of compromise for size, weight, distortions etc.

I have a X100T also and I never noticed "soft[ness] at closer focus distances," even with tele and wide lens attachments. However, I do see diffraction kicking-in at f/8. But hey, we all have different thresholds.

Cheers.

#22 milandro

milandro

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,775 posts

Posted 18 February 2016 - 07:48 PM

semantic differences ? It doesn’t seem to be a clear cut thing.

http://www.fujivsfuj...-vs-23mm-f1pt4/

• T-Man likes this

the popular expression wishful thinking is an oxymoron!

To all TAPATALK users

As a form of courtesy towards your fellow users of this forum, PLEASE remove the obnoxious tapatalk signature, it adds nothing to anyone’s contribution and it is only a sneaky way used by tapatalk to push their product by polluting each forum participant with promoting their products with unpaid advertising for their software and the brand of your phone. Removing it is easy and it is an act of courtesy that shows respect for all those whom are annoyed by this pointless feature. This is not a personal attack to you, the annoyance is caused by tapatalk and the phone or tablet brands, they are getting all the exposure and you gain nothing by this.

#23 j.f0

j.f0

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 18 February 2016 - 10:57 PM

when fuji announced the 35/2 as a smaller alternative my thoughts were... why the 35 and not the 23???  :o

i really like the 27, but this 4/5mm are a huge difference in my personal view.   ;)

do it, do it, do it, fuji... i'll buy one!  :D

• CRAusmus and T-Man like this

#24 mikkoy

mikkoy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 19 February 2016 - 09:38 AM

i hope it's small, light and priced just right. 

#25 milandro

milandro

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,775 posts

Posted 19 February 2016 - 09:45 AM

as said before  you can have a lens:

Good optics, Cheap, Light efficient, Small.

But you can only pick two.

• T-Man likes this

To all TAPATALK users

As a form of courtesy towards your fellow users of this forum, PLEASE remove the obnoxious tapatalk signature, it adds nothing to anyone’s contribution and it is only a sneaky way used by tapatalk to push their product by polluting each forum participant with promoting their products with unpaid advertising for their software and the brand of your phone. Removing it is easy and it is an act of courtesy that shows respect for all those whom are annoyed by this pointless feature. This is not a personal attack to you, the annoyance is caused by tapatalk and the phone or tablet brands, they are getting all the exposure and you gain nothing by this.

#26 frod

frod

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 309 posts

Posted 19 February 2016 - 02:20 PM

I expect that just like the 35mm it will be smaller, cheaper but not quite as good; the f/1.4 23mm is a very well corrected lens that only measurebators can criticise.
  • Mike K and Tom H. like this

The aperture ring is for composing in the third dimension, not removing it!

#27 milandro

milandro

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,775 posts

Posted 19 February 2016 - 03:32 PM

measurebators, interesting term!  :D

• Tom H. likes this

To all TAPATALK users

#28 CRAusmus

CRAusmus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 414 posts
  • LocationGeorgia or Texas...Pick one...

Posted 19 February 2016 - 06:20 PM

I expect that just like the 35mm it will be smaller, cheaper but not quite as good; the f/1.4 23mm is a very well corrected lens that only measurebators can criticise.

Excellent term.  Some spend way too much time/effort critiquing all the wrong aspects of an image.

• Tom H. likes this
--Clinton
X70  •  X-Pro1  •  X-T1  •  14  •  27  •  35  •  60  •  55-200
InstagramFlickr

#29 Max_Elmar

Max_Elmar

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 120 posts

Posted 23 February 2016 - 09:47 PM

Yes! If it had the same relationship to the "big" 23 as the 35/2 has to the 35/1.4 - that would be a fantastic development. I would most likely buy one. The 23/1.4 is outstanding - but a "little brother" - smaller, slower, less expensive, more even performance, but less peak performance - that would be a very welcome development indeed. A lot of folks have told me it would never happen "because it would cannibalize the X100 series" - but hopefully Fuji has realized the differentiator for the X100 is the viewfinder, not the lens.

• T-Man likes this

#30 Hermelin

Hermelin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 352 posts

Posted 06 March 2016 - 10:15 PM

If you already have the 35 f/2 WB which is close in focal lenght and with same aperture? Would it still make sense to get this lens?

#31 oscillik

oscillik

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 69 posts

Posted 07 March 2016 - 12:00 AM

If you already have the 35 f/2 WB which is close in focal lenght and with same aperture? Would it still make sense to get this lens?

I have the 35 F2 WR and the 23 F1.4.

they're not close at all in terms of focal length.

Edited by oscillik, 07 March 2016 - 12:02 AM.

#32 milandro

milandro

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,775 posts

Posted 07 March 2016 - 07:59 AM

They are complementary not alternative.

To all TAPATALK users

#33 gdanmitchell

gdanmitchell

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 66 posts

Posted 07 March 2016 - 05:23 PM

You can have a lens that is Cheap, Small, Good ( and I will add light efficient too), but you can only pick two characteristics simultaneously. Anything else is wishful thinking and I don’t do that.

Cheap? You can have a lens that is very good and quite inexpensive and quite good. I suspect that the 35mm f/2 is going to be one of those lenses. 

What you cannot have, at least not from what I've seen, is a lens that is cheap, good, small, and with a very large maximum aperture. There are trade-offs, but perhaps not quite the ones you list.

#34 darknj

darknj

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 765 posts
  • LocationBelgium

Posted 07 March 2016 - 08:46 PM

I just want it to be pancake sized!

I would pack it with any of the 35 and the 27 to boot and I have enough to play with when doing some streets :D

• CRAusmus likes this

#35 Max_Elmar

Max_Elmar

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 120 posts

Posted 07 March 2016 - 09:38 PM

I just want it to be pancake sized!

Perhaps not quite as small as the 27/2.8 -- but 18/2 size would be just fine for me. (I really want an aperture ring!)

• CRAusmus likes this

#36 darknj

darknj

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 765 posts
  • LocationBelgium

Posted 08 March 2016 - 05:22 PM

[...]I really want an aperture ring!

We can debate all day long about that point, but I do get your need for an aperture ring. I personally prefer something as low profile as possible as it is easier to fit in a coat pocket or the side pocket of a bag.

• Max_Elmar likes this

#37 Max_Elmar

Max_Elmar

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 120 posts

Posted 09 March 2016 - 06:03 PM

We can debate all day long about that point, but I do get your need for an aperture ring. I personally prefer something as low profile as possible as it is easier to fit in a coat pocket or the side pocket of a bag.

Honestly - I would prefer an aperture ring - but if it really were as small as the 27 - I could certainly learn to live without it. Either way - still a strong "buy."

• darknj likes this

#38 Warwick

Warwick

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 321 posts

Posted 09 March 2016 - 07:22 PM

I doubt that they'd launch the 23mm f2 without an aperture ring. Like the 35mm f2 it will be a premium lens created to go with the styling and capabilities of the XPro2, and a no-aperture ring lens just won't cut it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
  • CRAusmus likes this

#39 xtrans

xtrans

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 23 March 2016 - 08:36 AM

If it would be like the 35mm f/2 WR, I would buy it in a heartbeat.

• CRAusmus and johant like this

#40 fngarcez

fngarcez

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 07 April 2016 - 10:39 AM

Any News about this rumor?

x

Registration is free

Not registered? Really?

Discover the full potential of the Fuji X Forum... register now!
Registration is free and done in a few minutes!

As registered member you can discuss, post your questions and present your images.
And get in contact with Fuji X photographers worldwide!

We are looking forward to you!

The Fuji X Forum Team

Register Close