First Day with 27mm f2.8 on X -Pro1

Mike K

I just added a 27mm f2.8 lens to the collection. Purchased brand new for €210- and with the option to return it, I figured there's nothing to lose.

I took it out today, and my first impressions- I absolutely love this lens, it's a little gem!

(This is coming from someone who has an arsenal of some of the finest Zeiss, Leica M and R Lenses). 

My only issue with this lens is that I can't change / check the aperture setting without having to bring the camera up to eye level..

Out of camera Jpeg with no post processing.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Converted to B&W with Nik Silver Efex

Converted to B&W with Nik Silver Efex

I just added a 27mm f2.8 lens to the collection. Purchased brand new for €210- and with the option to return it, I figured there's nothing to lose.

My only issue with this lens is that I can't change / check the aperture setting without having to bring the camera up to eye level..

Nice. I would buy this lens if it would be offered, for example, in combination with a X-E2 body kit, but that hasn’t happened yet in the NL where I live.

The only way to buy it at a reasonable price is in a kit with a X-Pro 1 together with an 18mm ( that I have no use for) and some odds and ends which aren’t likely to be ever used by me (and judging by the fact that there are a few for sale, also by many others!).

As for the “ limitation” of not having the aperture dial visible onto an external dial, I understand that it might be annoying but that is certainly the price you pay for a compact or a cheaper lens. But this lens is not normally sold at the price that you’ve paid.

What you paid is certainly what I would consider appropriate but the official price in the NL is €429 and because of this, even the people who sell these lenses secondhand around these parts are asking more than what you paid for a new lens with guarantee.

I am sure that they follow the instructions by Fuji-NL but I am also sure that they would shift a lot more if the price would be the one you paid or they would sell it in a kit with different other discontinued cameras.

Took the Old Girl out for a drive today.

X-Pro1 & 27mm f2.8

but unfortunately , all of us residing within the EU or UK pay VAT and “ handling through  customs” ( charged by postal service or couriers for anything above €25)  when receiving things from outside Europe.

Plus some local Fuji are very difficult when handling a international guarantee, despite the fact that they shouldn’t be.

but unfortunately , all of us residing within the EU or UK pay VAT and “ handling through  customs” ( charged by postal service or couriers for anything above €25)  when receiving things from outside Europe.

Plus some local Fuji are very difficult when handling a international guarantee, despite the fact that they shouldn’t be.

Yes, that's a bet you have to take. I live in The Netherlands... no VAT or extra charges charged. I don't know about guarantee but since secondhand lenses are more expensive here that $210,- I took the chance. Fuji fixed my 18-55 without asking for receipts by the way but I don't know if that's usual.

Amazing, I have yet to receive ( for years now) any package from outside the EU containing anything more valuable than €25 and not being charged VAT and “ handling through customs’. 

The only way for them to have done such thing is declaring that the parcel contained a sample of little or no value  which of course it also meant that the parcel was sent uninsured ( because otherwise you have to declare a value that would be consistent with your claim should the parcel be stolen or lost).

But even then you wouldn’t be sure to be exempt from paying anything. Once I received a gift from a saxophone company from Taiwan, marked as “ gift”. It arrived at my doorstep with a guy from TNTpost who wanted €40.

Customs had opened the packaged and looked up the value of a similar item and charged me accordingly.

Anyway. 

Fuji NL recognizes international guarantees for 12 months ( they would look at the serial number and know exactly when and where the camera was sold that’s why they don’t need paper). The Dutch guarantee is a mandatory minimum of 24 months for a new item.

But we have had people from other countries reporting their local Fuji being reluctant to recognize the international guarantee.

The current secondhand price of a 27mm in the NL hovers around the €250 mark.

Different experiences with the same customs I can imagine they don't check everything coming through. I guess you haven't been lucky ;) At the time I calculated if extra expenses would make the lens more expensive than a secondhand one and they didn't. Could have changed now.

Anyway, both prices are definitely worth the lens. 

To be honest i prefere the 18mm. I feel it sharper, i can crop it for the same angle, with the depth of field the difference is not as huge I can not compensate with the apperture. Yes 27mm is super small on pro1 :)

I agree, there is something complimentary about the 18mm on the X-Pro1. If I'm travelling super-light I either pick up my X-E2 with the 27mm or the X-Pro1 with the 18mm, but my preference is the X-Pro1 even though the X-E2 is smaller and newer.

• 4 weeks later...

Yea the 18 is a beautiful lens with aperture ring and it's own character as well (definately not sharper) but pretty different in my opnion. Just cropping doesn't cut it for me on a 16mp sensor. See here 18mm fov and 27mm fov. Each his own preference.

Thank you for these images they are very informative.

Edited by xtrans