Wireless TTL flash with Fuji X-T1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 5 months later...

If you use Cannon or Nikon flashes I don't think there you can get more value for money with the Yongnuo RF-603 Wireless Flash Trigger Kit (Transmitter and Receiver). It's all manual, but who shoots TTL in studio setup anyway. 

If you use Cannon or Nikon flashes I don't think there you can get more value for money with the Yongnuo RF-603 Wireless Flash Trigger Kit (Transmitter and Receiver). It's all manual, but who shoots TTL in studio setup anyway. 

I also have the Yongnuo RF-603 Wireless Flash Trigger kit. Excellent value for money, good build quality, as I said quite cheap!

• 1 month later...

Actually, we have been shipping a wireless TTL RF trigger for Fujifilm since December. What's more, it allows for either Fuji Speedlights or Nikon Speedlights to be used on the Fuji X-series cameras.

See www.sereneautomation.com for more...

Your store still shows them as being a "preorder" so how come you say that you have been shipping them since December? I'm confused. 

Your store still shows them as being a "preorder" so how come you say that you have been shipping them since December? I'm confused. 

Thanks. Pre-order is mentioned on the page for when we are out of stock that orders save your place in the queue, but 'pre-order' is a misnomer. I will clarify. At present we have limited stock of most units. We will get additional stock next month.

• 4 weeks later...

Is it possible to use a wireless TTL flash system with THE X-T1?

So yes, what are/is the best flash/trigger combination for the X-T1?

Yeah, I think the only wireless TTL flash system that works with Fuji's are RoboSHOOT by Sere Automation.

Admittedly, slightly on the pricier side, but you really have no other options currently to do wireless TTL flash with Fuji's.  They do seem to have limited runs so getting one may take a bit of time if you miss their stock replenishment.

However, if not in hurry and want to see what other options. I'm also looking at these other 2 systems in addition to the RoboSHOOT for viable wireless TTL flash.. now, if any of these mentioned here offer HSS in addition, even better... but, I'm holding out high hopes on the latter option.. harder to do.. I'd be happy with wireless TTL flash for now.

Fuji is suppose to release a new flash system, the EF-X500, this year (2016).  It may possibly offer wireless TTL capabilities.

Check out some info here from Fujifilm.  They seem to state it offers multiple flash TTL system. Cool!

http://www.fujifilm.com/news/n160115_06.html

And, I think Nissin is also working on a new flash system which may also possibly offer wireless TTL flash for Fuji.. think it works with Nissin's own Air System. Check it out here.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1236473-REG/nissin_nd60a_fj_i60a_flash_for_fujifilm.html/?gclid=CjwKEAjwgbG5BRDp3oW3qdPiuCwSJAAQmoSDiHN7-NimO3jRudbdwmAZFYyKezqiqml9ggrOviYKRBoC3iHw_wcB

Is it possible to use a wireless TTL flash system with THE X-T1?

So yes, what are/is the best flash/trigger combination for the X-T1?

As mentioned before, yes it is possible though it is an expensive solution. the serene automation triggers work TTL. And will even do so with a mix of flash brands (fuji, some nikons, some yongnuo). And it is nice to be able to use a smartphone to set the ratios (and then save it).

I always used simple manual triggers before, but taking indoors photos of my kids with manual flash was too unreliable (my apartment is rather dark), since they would not stay put in the area I more or less calculated the exposure for.  The TTL solved this problem for me. Works great with my xt1 and older Xpro1. And works wonders with the x100s, which could sync at 1/1000th and maybe more (but you start losing a lot of flash power). 

My only critique with these triggers if that , specially with my Xpro, there is a bit of wiggle room (?) for the trigger hotshoe, and if it is not perfectly aligned, then it will fire everything at full power. 

I never had a ttl trigger before, so I am satisfied -- my main criticism is mostly that I find TTL not that reliable, with lots of variation. I'd rather use manual flash for consistency (when in a controlled environment and most importantly, with a controllable subject...). It is also user error, since I need to know how to better understand  ttl flash, best exposure settings, etc.

I am also waiting for some options they planned (back then) to release, as sound triggers etc.

(I need to learn to post pictures so I can show some of the results... But I don't think one can post an image directly from box.com)

As mentioned before, yes it is possible though it is an expensive solution. the serene automation triggers work TTL. And will even do so with a mix of flash brands (fuji, some nikons, some yongnuo). And it is nice to be able to use a smartphone to set the ratios (and then save it).

I always used simple manual triggers before, but taking indoors photos of my kids with manual flash was too unreliable (my apartment is rather dark), since they would not stay put in the area I more or less calculated the exposure for.  The TTL solved this problem for me. Works great with my xt1 and older Xpro1. And works wonders with the x100s, which could sync at 1/1000th and maybe more (but you start losing a lot of flash power). 

My only critique with these triggers if that , specially with my Xpro, there is a bit of wiggle room (?) for the trigger hotshoe, and if it is not perfectly aligned, then it will fire everything at full power. 

I never had a ttl trigger before, so I am satisfied -- my main criticism is mostly that I find TTL not that reliable, with lots of variation. I'd rather use manual flash for consistency (when in a controlled environment and most importantly, with a controllable subject...). It is also user error, since I need to know how to better understand  ttl flash, best exposure settings, etc.

I am also waiting for some options they planned (back then) to release, as sound triggers etc.

(I need to learn to post pictures so I can show some of the results... But I don't think one can post an image directly from box.com)

Hi Nastavnik,

Did you notice the rev B hardware upgrade announcement back in March? It is a free upgrade and all users are encouraged to get it. Please contact us and we will provide a couple options for obtaining the upgrade should work for everyone. The upgrade gets rid of that wiggle that you mentioned. 

Also, the audio trigger is finally nearing the end of development. We are miniaturizing it to keep in line with the small form factor of the products. This should be available around the end of summer. 

We have more development going on as well. So, lots of exciting news is expected around that time.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi John

Thanks for the heads-up. I had actually missed the email with that info. I'll be contacting you

Hi Nastavnik,

Did you notice the rev B hardware upgrade announcement back in March? It is a free upgrade and all users are encouraged to get it. Please contact us and we will provide a couple options for obtaining the upgrade should work for everyone. The upgrade gets rid of that wiggle that you mentioned. 

Also, the audio trigger is finally nearing the end of development. We are miniaturizing it to keep in line with the small form factor of the products. This should be available around the end of summer. 

We have more development going on as well. So, lots of exciting news is expected around that time.

• 1 month later...
Just a press announcement FYI

RoboSHOOT Fuji X series TTL Flash Triggers have Free Priority Shipping - Anywhere RoboSHOOT is available. For international customers savings are compounded by reduced VAT, resulting in typical savings of $50 or more! 

This offer is valid for retail purchases that include at least one RoboSHOOT kit and optionally add-on units. To order yours visit the RoboSHOOT store at sereneautomation.com. Offer starts July 1st, 2016. Your deposit for orders will still include shipping charges. These charges will be reversed in the final invoice.

This is a limited time offer. All units are available now for immediate shipment! 

I’m also interested in a wireless TTL solution for Fuji. I’m currently waiting for the following product to become available. The Sony version gets already shipped and I expect it won’t take long anymore:

Radio-Controlled Nissin i60A for Fuji + Nissin Air 1 Commander for Fuji.