X-T1 : X-T2 = X-T10 : X-T20

milandro

So, in June, or so we are told, if all goes well, we will have a new X-T2.

Fuji X-T2 coming in June (SRP) – POLL – Get the Fuji X-Pro2, wait for Fuji X-T2 or keep your current X- series camera?

Whether to upgrade or not to this new generation, if you, like me, are coming from the X-T1, will make me think long and hard in the months to come.

The main question would be the speculation or logical possibility that Fuji will introduce, a year or so after the introduction of Generation 2 of their flagships X-T1 and X pro 1, the successors of the X-T10 ( would this be called X-T20?) and the real successor to the X-E2 ( the X-E2S is just a way to repackage the X-E2 and make you shed some money) which would be, if logic has to play any role in the choice of a name , the X-E3.

Both these cameras will have to feature this new 24Mp sensor and won’t be weather resistant as the X-T2 logically, would be!

There would be other differences but I postulate that      X-T1 : X-T2 = X-T10 : X-T20

Let me say that, if at the time that I bought the X-T1 there would have been the X-T10, I would have bought that one. So, next time around, I won’t be hasting myself into an early choice.

I have a great camera already!

yes, I am staying with the X-T1 but if, later on, and a t the price of a X-T10 ( which has been discounted €25 just few days ago... mysteriously and everywhere simultaneously in the whole country) in a year and a half or so, hen I might be rethinking my strategy.

For the time being I am happy with what I have.

I find plenty of relatively cheap thrills with the two adapters ( tilt and lens turbo). No need of spending a lot to keep me interested.

Personally for naming simplicity I hope they name the next real new X-E series, X-Pro 20

then on the 2 lines will be XT 2/20 and X-Pro 2/20 (with the X-A kept as entry level) 

Although I doubt I will jump on the next generation as I'm more than happy with my XT-10 and most of the time I am the limitation not the camera, once the camera starts limiting me, then it will be time for a change

Well they obviously wanted to differentiate the Pro from the E at the time they introduced these cameras and they had their good reasons to do so, the price which reflected some of the performances.

I don’t live in Mr. Fuji’s head, so I can’t possibly know what they are going to do, but it is unlikely that they will abandon this model.

A s for the entry level, this is experiencing serious problems at least where I am, they are simply not selling. Several serious camera shops over here don’t stock them.

To be frank, I don't study sales by model numbers, but having an entry level model makes sense to attract people uncertain by the investment in camera systems.

Then once they have bought into a system and are happy they are likely to upgrade within the system, once their skills pass the cameras ability or they want more quality etc.

Without an entry level model sales are likely to be lost to competitors, a quick check of Amazons top selling mirrorless cameras in USA  shows Sonys entry level cameras the alpha 6000 and the Alpha 5000 and 5100 rounding out the top 5

All priced less than the X-T10.

The Alpha 5*** series is a direct competitor to the Fuji A series, flip screen no viewfinder

http://www.amazon.com/Best-Sellers-Electronics-Mirrorless-Cameras/zgbs/electronics/3109924011

I can't find figures at the minute for rest of world or UK.

I personally like the Fuji line up of cameras, but simplifying the naming scheme makes it easier from a marketing POV to let the uninformed know quickly without studying the specifications. like I previously said having 2 distinctive lines, one for rage finder style and 1 for DSLR style. I'm not suggesting Fuji will simplify the naming or suggesting anyone else is wrong the above is an opinion.

If I had to take a guess at why the Sony systems outsell Fuji at the entry level even with overall a poorer lens line up, i'd say it is down to APS-C prime lens cost.

If you buy the X-A series as your only X series camera, you have 2 reasonably cheap XC Zooms (normally available in cheap bundles with the camera at least here in UK ~£400 for camera and both zooms)

, then the only sub £200 lens is the XF27mm, around £250 you can find the XF18, then you have the XF60, and both XF35's at normally less than £400

However if you buy into the Sony APS-C system, you have 2 Kit Zooms similar to the XC zooms, bundled with an A5000 for around £400, then as far as primes, you have the 16mm F/2.8 (wide angle and fisheye adapters available) at ~£165.00 the Macro 1:1, 30mm F/3.5 for ~£165, the (Brilliant) 50mm F/1.8 (OSS) for ~£199, the 20mm F/2.8 (adapters available) around £250, and the 35mm F/1.8 (OSS) for ~£350.

There is no doubt that overall the Fuji lenses are better, however most of the Sony lenses are still good and represent excellent value for money, I do think that if Fuji wants to make inroads into the entry level market they need more lenses priced sub £400.

I'd imagine they could use plastic bodies, slightly slower lenses, lose aperture rings to save costs without killing the optical quality. This would hurt sales of the premium lenses, as a lot of people will buy a lens that is good enough, but the increase in sales may make it worth while. The people that want the best lenses will still but the fastest, best quality lenses.

for example if you are on a budget, and occasionally shoot landscapes in daylight, you would opt for a slower e.g. F/2.8 lens, without an aperture ring, made of plastic, not WR if it saved a few hundred £.

However if you were a fine arts landscape photographer selling prints for Hundreds (or thousands) of £ and needed to photograph in all conditions, you would probably opt for the all metal, F/1.4, WR lens with perfect optics.

I feel that there is room for both the premium XF range, and a high quality but cheaper XC range of prime lenses

• 10 months later...

So, the XT20 name has been registered , which, I supposed, will be a slightly tuned down version of the X-T2, like the X-T10 was compared to the X-T1.

Until when will we have to wait to see the X-E3, a camera like the X-T20 but with a rangefinder style architecture? I wonder.

I suppose that this late introduction of cheaper models essentially featuring the same characteristics as the X-T2 and X Pro 2 is now a pattern.