New Flash for Fuji Announced: Metz 44 AF-2! Full Specs

I don't have a flash unit and don't know much about flashes yet... but has anyone compared this to the Nissin i40 - would love to understand what the differences are

There doesn't seem to be a lot of literature on it at the moment, but in a nutshell, I think it's mostly a handling difference. This looks bigger/heavier than the Nissin i40, and it has a much more modern, digital interface, with the buttons and LCD screen. The i40 has straight up dials, sort of like a Fuji camera.

I like the price of this flash. The i40 isn't available in Canada, so it gets really expensive to get one here. I'm pretty happy with my Yongnuos for my off-camera work, but I'd like smaller flash for on-camera, and TTL would be nice. I just can't find any size comparisons to show how big the Metz is on a Fuji.

• 5 weeks later...

One could hope that with Metz having a dedicated Fuji flash that an SCA 3000 module might someday be offered.  I have a number of modular units that could be put to good use if that were to occur.  It could remove some incentive to buy a new flash, I suppose, but it would also make Metz the "go-to" source for people with multiple camera systems and duties.

• 2 weeks later...

Does anyone know where this can be purchased? I have found an eBay seller out of Italy offering it, but they have no photographs on their listings. Other than that, nobody seems to have it, but the original release said that it would be available in December.

I think that you might have missed a few chapters of the saga, let me summarize it to you.

Metz filed for insolvency and went into receivership in  November 2015.

That’s why it all went quiet!

Not Fuji’s fault.

http://www.imaging-resource.com/news/2014/11/19/metz-files-for-insolvency-administrator-says-that-production-and-support-wi

They were trying to get the TV company away from the Flash company and it looks like they did solve this problem in April 2015 by selling the two companies to two different buyers.

http://www.acxit.com/en/metz-future-is-secured/

Now the flash division belongs to DAUM a German electronics company.

November 2015 FR published this on the future Metz flashes with Fuji

http://www.fujirumors.com/coming-soon-fuji-x-series-compatible-version-of-its-metz-44-af-1-flash-with-on-camera-ttl-capability-new-source/

Which appears to say that the release is imminent.

Unfortunately, that doesn't bring much clarity to the situation for me. You very well may be 100% correct in the above information and perhaps this is just wishful thinking on my part since I really wanted this product, but the 44 AF-2 is listed on Metz's website here:

http://www.metz-mecatech.de/en/lighting/flash-units/system-flash-units/mecablitz-44-af-2-digital/data-sheet/mecablitz-44-af-2-digital-fujifilm.html

It's also listed for sale through an eBay seller here:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/METZ-Flash-Metz-mecablitz-44-AF-2-compatibile-Fujifilm-004432997-/191778973698?hash=item2ca6eae802:g:4LoAAOSw5dNWkYt9

The seller has a lot of sales and a 99% rating, but I can't find it for sale through any normal retail channels, which makes me very skeptical. 

The Metz company is temporarily experiencing problems, read the links.

The situation that I’ve explained to you might be the reason why there aren’t others selling anything on line.

This Internet dealer might be in possession of some stock, which might have been bought before the company ceased their activities which have yet to be resumed at full speed.

I cannot tell you to trust this person. If I were you I would wait.

Good luck!

All’s well that ends well then!  :) and you might get a free work-out to go with it!

“..This will be the first Metz flash unit launched since the Metz-Werke GmbH & Co. company became insolvent and the flash business was saved by Germany’s Daum Group, which is better known for making fitness equipment. The flash side of the business is now called Metz mecatech GmbH. 

In Europe the flash unit will cost 190 Euro, but it doesn’t appear to have been launched in the USA yet. "