Any experience buying lenses on ebay?

MrPolite

I'm interested in the 18-135mm lens, and willing to buy a used one. It's currently on sale, but the ebay prices are considerably lower. I see sellers selling a "new" one as low as $550 with a white box (I'm assuming it was a part of a kit and they put it in another box)

Question is, do you recommend ebay or is it sketchy gray market mostly? I'm looking at US listings ONLY

There's always a risk of getting a dud, hence the lower prices. Having said that, I've bought many lenses from Hong Kong through Ebay and never had any issues with quality or service. Stick with the main sellers and you should be fine. Always use your credit card, though, just in case.

If you live in the EU remember that you will be charged VAT on anything you buy above ( depends on the country) €20.

Next to the VAT you will also be charged some mysterious fee “ handling through customs “ levied by the postal service or courier used.

Some vendors offer tax paid ( and often you get to pay tax anyway!). You can buy from Gibraltar but it is a very dubious situation.

I've bought MF gear on eBay wit no problems. I've also bought lenses as well.  Out of about 12 or so lenses, I've only had problems with one and the seller took it back.  Some of the "new" items listed may be gray market -- you can ask the seller directly.  Make sure you keep the response in case they fibbed.

I have no qualms about shopping on eBay.  At. All.  I've been buying (and selling) since 1999.

Thanks for the responses!

About the gray market stuff, is the only concern warranty, and if it's indeed gray market would you still recommend it (assuming I'm willing to take the chance that there won't be warranty issues with the lens). I've always bought directly from authorized sellers so I've never had to deal with gray market

Got my 10-24 F4 from evilBay, the seller was from Australia and I am in Belgium, the shipping went quite fast but it came in the week where our postal service was on strike for a week, which delayed a lot before I actually got my lens.

It was exactly the condition the seller described and there was no optical fault and works like a charm and was delivered with large bubble wrapping and a generic non descriptive brown box.

One thing to not forget is as you pay with Paypal, you have a 60 days worth of coverage is something goes wrong with your purchase.

I used to get second hand lenses from the gray market too on semi regular basis mostly because there are online retailer that are located in different places in Europe where the VAT are much lower and offer free shipping, so they are some advantages to that part.

Just stick to well known payment method and avoid direct cash transfer or if possible, drive there and test the gear out.

All of my XT-1 Kit (XT-1, Large Grip, 35mm 1.2, 18-55, 55-230, Jupiter 9, Canon 55mm FD 1.2 Aspherical) were purchased via eBay. If you are the buyer you have exceptional protection as opposed to the seller who often has to fix any issues that may arise in the alotted time. There is always risk and there always will be. Weigh that risk versus the cost saving and figure out if the two outweigh each other or match up.

I'm interested in the 18-135mm lens, and willing to buy a used one. It's currently on sale, but the ebay prices are considerably lower. I see sellers selling a "new" one as low as $550 with a white box (I'm assuming it was a part of a kit and they put it in another box)

Question is, do you recommend ebay or is it sketchy gray market mostly? I'm looking at US listings ONLY

I just put my version of this lens on sale on E Bay   http://csr.ebay.com/cse/list.jsf?item=121815948264&dd=1&usecase=create&categoryPath=625|78997|3323&mode=revise&categoryPath=625|78997|3323

but would be willing to negotiate privately if desired.  I agree that ebay gives good protection to buyers now.  I've had people buy things and then return them after 2 weeks and nothing was wrong with the item, but they got to use if for them period of time.    In any case, your anxieties are justified....we all like to hold and look at things first and know who we are buying from.     Eric

but you were charged BTW ( VAT) and handling through customs?

Paypal has extended guarantee to 180 days

https://www.paypal.com/webapps/mpp/paypal-safety-and-security

I has no idea they updated the protection days,so thank you for the info!

And yes I got charged VAT and handling but even like that it was still cheaper than buying it in Europe. It was 620€ for everything.

I would NEVER buy a lens on eBay. I purchased a lens on eBay two years ago. I paid with PayPal, then a unit of eBay. When I received the lens, it was NOT the same lens pictured by the seller. The lens hood had a dent in it and the serial number was different. It was quite simply something other than what the seller posted. I sent the seller a note saying I was returning the lens. He had an attitude. I followed eBay instructions for sending the item back, and had a return receipt from the USPS. The USPS confirmed the package was received at his PO Box. The seller denied receiving it. I filed a complaint with eBay, which values its sellers more than buyers. The seller claimed he never received the package, and eBay sided with him. PayPal refused to honor its guarantee. I was out $650. This seller is selling today on eBay. And I am out $650. Never again. Remember, eBay will side with its sellers over its customers, because their sellers generate their revenue and profits. Go to a local photography store, or buy from a reputable online dealer, like B&H, Adorama or Amazon. I have never had trouble with them. Stay as far away from eBay as you can. And never buy used gear on eBay. 

I would NEVER buy a lens on eBay. I purchased a lens on eBay two years ago. I paid with PayPal, then a unit of eBay. When I received the lens, it was NOT the same lens pictured by the seller. The lens hood had a dent in it and the serial number was different. It was quite simply something other than what the seller posted. I sent the seller a note saying I was returning the lens. He had an attitude. I followed eBay instructions for sending the item back, and had a return receipt from the USPS. The USPS confirmed the package was received at his PO Box. The seller denied receiving it. I filed a complaint with eBay, which values its sellers more than buyers. The seller claimed he never received the package, and eBay sided with him. PayPal refused to honor its guarantee. I was out $650. This seller is selling today on eBay. And I am out $650. Never again. Remember, eBay will side with its sellers over its customers, because their sellers generate their revenue and profits. Go to a local photography store, or buy from a reputable online dealer, like B&H, Adorama or Amazon. I have never had trouble with them. Stay as far away from eBay as you can. And never buy used gear on eBay. 

Scary story!  Do you know what this seller's feedback figures look like?

it makes a serious difference whether you buy from a reputable  on-line shop or from a vendor with a questionable reputation.

If you are buying form a private person you might have someone just like yourself.

It happened to me. I bought a Samyang 8mm f2.8 fisheye, secondhand, from someone on the canary islands. I could have bought it new from a shop on line in Poland or a private seller. I preferred a private seller.

I paid a good price, for a second hand copy. It wasn’t even the newest type but it was precisely the silver version which I wanted.

The lens arrived and was precisely as described and shown on the pictures.

NEVER send anything back to p.o. boxes  but at a registered paypal address and, as far as I know, they don’t accept p.o. boxes as a regular registered address ( and ALWAYS send as prescribed by the rules with a system which requires a signature, in that case, there is NO denying possible, someone at the registered address has signed and the it has been returned.).

I'll second milandro here.

I'd never buy other than from a professional seller with an ebay shop, impeccable reputation and an option to return the items safely. Which also means, I only buy from sellers within safe postal distance (basically, not from another continent). For used glass, I also make sure that the description and photos confirm there is no fungus, scratches, etc.

That said, I bought several lenses and a camera body that way and never had any problems.

I go by reputation, both as seller and buyer.  It has to be faultless, and there has to be enough of it.

I don't care too much whether it is a 'professional' seller with a shop or a private individual.  The pros may be safer in theory, as have more to lose if their reputation is knocked.  But this needs to be balanced against the fact that their prices will be set to make a profit (after eBay's cut). So it comes down to whether or not you think it is worth paying the implied premium.

Never really had any bad problems.  I did once buy quite and expensive lens that was not as described (Oly 75 described as immaculate but turned out to have quite bad scuff marks on the casing edge).  But I can't complain too much, because I made the decision to keep it rather than send it back for a refund. And if you go through the Italian postal system, you need a stout heart.  But other than that, I have bought and sold quite a lot through eBay quite happily.