Clicky

Photo

How many bags do you have? What do you consider when buying a bag?

• Please log in to reply
47 replies to this topic

#21 r_kt

r_kt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 28 December 2015 - 08:44 PM

Advertisement (Gone after free registration)

I would start by need and style first.

For casual evenings, I prefer a "small" shoulder/messenger that could fit a body w/ lens attached and another lens (for me that's the Ona Bowery canvas)

For travel or sessions with more gear needed, I still go for shoulder/messenger, "medium" or two (mirrorless) bodies and 2-4 lenses (Hadley Pro, with stacking lenses)

For hiking, backpack is better for me for better weight distribution (clik elite compact sport) and I use a Peak Design Capture Clip (assuming weather cooperates)

I dont much care for slings or overly boxy/square designs. 

For your purposes, I would focus on something that will satisfy your travel/backpacking needs, maybe even a hip pack you can wear in the front for easy access. 

Then buy a cheap camera insert and use a packable grocery/shopping bag (one that you can fit the handles over your shoulder) as your casual option that can be stored away easily in your other luggage.

XPro2

X-T1 (gifted) X-E1 (sold), XF1 (RIP), XQ1 (gifted)

#22 typeronin

typeronin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 81 posts

Posted 21 January 2016 - 09:31 PM

Size. And if it doesn't look good style-wise, I won't buy it. 

#23 louhamilton

louhamilton

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • LocationMaryland, USA

Posted 25 January 2016 - 02:16 PM

I am very accustomed to carrying a "murse" around. I am usually carrying a Waterfield Design Muzetto on most days. If it was thicker than 2.5 inches, I would just use it to throw my body, lens, and extra accessories in. However, it is much too narrow.

As far as camera bags, what I already own are too big for a decent street bag for a mirrorless system. My two main bags are the Crumpler 6 Million Dollar Home (older version from around 2008 or 2009) for my DSLR "day bag" and the Amazon Basic camera/laptop backpack for my "travel/vacation" bag when I want to take a variety of equipment. I use the free Nikon camera bag that came with my Nikon D300 as may extra equipment storage bag (wireless triggers, extra cables, etc.) and looks WAY too much like a camera bag to consider taking outside to walk around. :) I have been using a cheap Caselogic bag that holds not much more than a single lens and a few small mass accessories.

​Essentially, I am seeking out a day/walk-about/street bag to carry the following:

X-T10 + 27mm or 35 f/2 or 23mm

18-55 kit lens

Extra batteries (3-4)

iPad Air

Apple SD card lightning adapter

iPhone 6

iPhone/iPad charger

Wallet

Car keys

Moleskine Large (8x5 inches)

Pens

Reading glasses

Extra SD cards

A plus but not 100% necessary additional items:

Fuji charger

Water bottle

Snacks

Overall, I would like the bag to be as close to 11"x9"x4" deep. Although weight is always a consideration (not a factor ;) ), it needs to look equally good while wearing a casual outfit or a suit and tie.

#24 typeronin

typeronin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 81 posts

Posted 25 January 2016 - 08:31 PM

Overall, I would like the bag to be as close to 11"x9"x4" deep. Although weight is always a consideration (not a factor ;) ), it needs to look equally good while wearing a casual outfit or a suit and tie.

My bag is pretty close to your dimensions.

http://www.ebay.com/...s-/321850189306

#25 cug

cug

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 224 posts

Posted 26 January 2016 - 02:20 AM

I'd say a Billingham Hadley Small could fit. 

#26 lleo

lleo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 123 posts

Posted 17 March 2016 - 08:08 PM

Right now I have a Lowepro Orion AW beltpack.

This one (not mine, just for show):

lowepro+orion+aw+belt+pack+lisboa+lisboa

Lowepro is absolutely top quality, sturdy, waterproof. I had a big backpack I used to carry both my 35 and medium format camera. It was beyond top quality: I could stand over it, charged with all my outfit, without causing even a scratch on one piece.

I also have some top load zoom I used for big Nikon lens like 200 and 300.

The next one for my X-E2 will be another Lowepro, the Pro Runner.

A bag must be sturdy, waterproof and, most important, for a quick use. So one of the best characteristics of the bag above and the Runner too is the missing of the lip on the cover. It seems something silly but it's very important to me. You can open the bag quickly and can get what you need without having to fight with the cover going anywhere. When taking pictures you cannot being thinking to deal with the bag, you might have a really short time to shoot. So this solution I consider to be the best, until somebody else will come out with something better.

#27 Wing0949

Wing0949

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 66 posts
  • LocationSacramento, CA

Posted 17 March 2016 - 11:07 PM

This'll be the first time I'm buying a camera bag, so I'm totally clueless and would like some guidance (I just bought my first ever camera, X-T10, last week):

My idea is to buy a pretty big enough bag that can hold my camera, a couple of lenses, some items like bottle water, snacks, laptop, tshirts, etc. and preferably a small tripod (for example, this will be a good bag for one-day hiking).

But at the same time, I don't want the bag to be big enough that it will be taking too much space in my luggage when I'm travelling (for ex: I'm going for a one-week trekking in some mountains in Indonesia later and will only bring a one big rucksack (70-80 litres).

So what kind of bag should I buy? Or should I just buy 2 bags?

Also do you still need to buy a camera case?

Last but not least:

-which brand is considered a good brand for camera bag (like the Fujifilm or Nikon of camera bag)?

-what do you consider when buying a bag besides the price?

Thanks so much!

Gear buying like camera bags will be an ongoing process.. that is if you cherish your camera and photography as much as I or many of us do.  You never know until you get it and try it for yourself.

There's 3 things to consider, and none of them necessarily are related or more important to the other.. Style, Functionality & Cost.

There's too much to say and so many options.  I'll tell you personally, I have stuck with Wotancraft.. love their styling and build, pricey, but I personally love them and have had 7 of them. 2 paratroopers, 2 scouts, 2 avengers & 1 commander (those are the various style names, fyi). I prefer form over function, but it has to function well still and not be totally just for style.

And, I would say you may not necessarily be stuck to just 1 bag.. you could get by with just 1, but in the end, I think you'll find there's a bag for different occasions.. If you work, or a serious hobbyist, then you will at least have a large bag to carry a good bulk of your gear out to the field or wherever.. But, there will definitely be times you will find having a secondary more compact bag just to carry a camera and lens (or two) would be just enough to get you by more times than not, especially if you like to bring your camera everywhere, you're going to want to leave the big heavy bag for serious work and setup at home and just keep a light compact that carries just what you need for the day.

A camera bag, or bags, is purely subjective matter.. you're just going to have to find what you like and works for you.

• darknj likes this

#28 milandro

milandro

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,644 posts

Posted 18 March 2016 - 10:47 AM

A camera bag, or bags, is purely subjective matter.. you're just going to have to find what you like and works for you.

Well, this sums it all up, really.

We are different in all manner of ways: gender, age, upbringing, education, religion or the lack of it, country we live in, the food we eat, the way we shoot, the things we shoot and so on... so it is hardly strange that there are so many brands out there and that we like something very much and hate other things with the same passion.

I have a “ witz” 

A ship is wrecked and Jacob, a Jewish castaway arrives on an desert island on his own without any mates. He makes the most of it and builds a house but after some times he feels the need to build a “ shul”, a synagogue, a place where he can worship. 

Few years after he was shipwrecked, a ship comes to the desert island and the people of the ship find him there. He had built a number of facilities to keep busy and stay comfortable and they found that he had built TWO shuls!

They ask him why he bult two buildings and he said: “ You see, that is the place where I go to pray and the other is the place where I would never set foot in! "

We like the things we like and we even like to dislike certain other things. It’s the human nature.

• darknj likes this

the popular expression wishful thinking is an oxymoron!

To all TAPATALK users

As a form of courtesy towards your fellow users of this forum, PLEASE remove the obnoxious tapatalk signature, it adds nothing to anyone’s contribution and it is only a sneaky way used by tapatalk to push their product by polluting each forum participant with promoting their products with unpaid advertising for their software and the brand of your phone. Removing it is easy and it is an act of courtesy that shows respect for all those whom are annoyed by this pointless feature. This is not a personal attack to you, the annoyance is caused by tapatalk and the phone or tablet brands, they are getting all the exposure and you gain nothing by this.

#29 lleo

lleo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 123 posts

Posted 18 March 2016 - 04:33 PM

I agree with the quote above at 50%. It's the holy truth tastes are personal, no doubt about it.

But at the same time there are non questionable features. I mean, if something is sturdy, it is sturdy. It cannot be sturdy for me and non sturdy for somebody else. Same thing for the other features.

However, I can prefer a certain style, colour, shape and so on, while somebody else will do according to his own tastes.

So I don't think it's a love-hate matter. There are things nobody can tell "for me it's in this way".

Isn't it?

#30 milandro

milandro

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,644 posts

Posted 18 March 2016 - 04:43 PM

Sturdy is  also a relative concept. Relative to what you carry.

What is sturdy enough to carry a 200gr. compact camera might not be sturdy for a 5 Kg. equipment 

All bags that I’ve ever owned were sturdy enough to carry several cameras and much more around but what is the point of a bag like that when I am carrying my 350gr. body with a zoom on it?

But I love large bags, bags with easy access to camera and lenses which are stored not on top of each other. I can’t stand small bags with camera and lenses placed so that you have to hold one thing while digging the other out. I don’t understand the use of a backpack of the type that you have to put it on the floor (some you can carry in front of you and take things out, still not for me but I get those) in order to take camera or lenses or both out.

But that’s me.

If that is what makes you feel comfortable, please, by all means buy it.

To all TAPATALK users

As a form of courtesy towards your fellow users of this forum, PLEASE remove the obnoxious tapatalk signature, it adds nothing to anyone’s contribution and it is only a sneaky way used by tapatalk to push their product by polluting each forum participant with promoting their products with unpaid advertising for their software and the brand of your phone. Removing it is easy and it is an act of courtesy that shows respect for all those whom are annoyed by this pointless feature. This is not a personal attack to you, the annoyance is caused by tapatalk and the phone or tablet brands, they are getting all the exposure and you gain nothing by this.

#31 darknj

darknj

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 765 posts
  • LocationBelgium

Posted 18 March 2016 - 04:56 PM

[...]if something is sturdy, it is sturdy. It cannot be sturdy for me and non sturdy for somebody else. [...]

I can give you a small example for this case. Let's say I do street photography and bag X is sturdy for me as I can put a camera with a single lens and a small tripod in there along some other small things.

Is that bag going to be sturdy enough for someone who does wildlife ? Or extreme sport shooting ? Chances are, it isn't going to be.

We all have different needs, some of us prefer more padding, other would rather have less padding and more inner space, while that group over there prefers lots of pockets. 

So yes, in that respect, it really depends on the usage and need.

#32 lleo

lleo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 123 posts

Posted 18 March 2016 - 06:52 PM

Well I agree with you Milandro. Why a backpack? I used to shoot naturalistic stuff once, and I had to carry around my double outfit, 35mm and medium format.

I have to say in the end I was broken in two pieces. It was damn heavy to carry, so I changed in different bags, the one I still have, and other to carry on my belt. In this way I disposed the weight around the whole torso and it was much more confortable.

Of course when shooting naturalistic or wildlife you need something heavier than when in the city. Except that in case you're taking a rest having a coffee with your photo stuff on the table, and it falls down. Then you'll be praying your bag IS sturdy. Lol

#33 Noel

Noel

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
  • LocationSurrey & Cumbria

Posted 22 March 2016 - 06:38 PM

Function, comfort and style in that order.

If it doesn't serve the function then it wont be used.

If it works but its uncomfortable then its a distraction from what you are doing.

If it works and is comfortable but makes you look like a wally.......... well, still working on that one.

Oh and anything before black. Black, black, boring bloody black. Camera bag manufacturers all seem to have gone to the Henry Ford school of design. Not only is it very boring but for sensitive opto-electronics out in the sun all day - why always use heat attracting black?

But never ever leather! There is a reason why, damp conditions and leather eventually means fungus and fungus plus optics means big trouble. Photographers stopped using leather in bags decades ago for good reasons, this current fad for leather bags like the ONA range is a major mistake.

• darknj likes this

#34 deva

deva

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 277 posts

Posted 17 April 2016 - 09:01 PM

I just purchased the Tenba Cooper 15. It has velcro that can be quiet... pull down then out and no velcro noise!... yes!

It is also big enough to carry my 2 Fuji bodies and all 7 lenses. Plus it can hold a 15" laptop. Pull out the camera insert and it works well just for the laptop. i purchased it as a replacement for a similar sized bag I have but which is just a bit narrow to comfortably have the camera body width wise... 

The bag I use the most is a small 'old school' squarish camera bag just big enough to hold 2 fuji bodies with smaller lenses plus a 3rd small lens and a few spare batteries. The bag itself weighs nothing, looks like crap, is not 'stylish' at all and attracts no attention. I got it at a garage sale for a buck. With one Fuji body and 3 primes (16, 23, 56) I can carry that around on my shoulder all day and never notice the weight... nor be noticed. 

I have 6 bags altogether... 2 of which serve only as places to store gear. One is a backpack which I never use cause it is not so good for fast access. 

#35 deva

deva

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 277 posts

Posted 17 April 2016 - 09:04 PM

Oh and anything before black. Black, black, boring bloody black. Camera bag manufacturers all seem to have gone to the Henry Ford school of design. Not only is it very boring but for sensitive opto-electronics out in the sun all day - why always use heat attracting black?

But never ever leather! There is a reason why, damp conditions and leather eventually means fungus and fungus plus optics means big trouble. Photographers stopped using leather in bags decades ago for good reasons, this current fad for leather bags like the ONA range is a major mistake.

most of my bags are black, but I wish they weren't for exactly the reason you state.

#36 macabee

macabee

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts
  • LocationSunny South Coast

Posted 23 May 2016 - 06:37 PM

I have too many, or not enough, it all depends on: 1/ What I kind of photo shoot I am doing; 2 / Weather.

I do not give a hoot about what looks 'classy' or 'cool' I want what is best for my gear and my comfort, I therefore use either thinktankphoto or Billingham particularly when it rains as I know that the kit in the Billingham will stay dry. I have always been amazed that some people will spend a small fortune on their photo kit, but consider spending small change on a bag to protect and carry it.

Cheers and have a good one

#37 jlmphotos

jlmphotos

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 481 posts
  • LocationTime Split between New Jersey and Maine

Posted 23 May 2016 - 07:04 PM

I don’t think it is possible to buy one bag that will fit all your needs all the time. Which is the reason why most people end up having more than one to cover for different situations.

Yesterday I was in fact buying a small bag to cover for those moments when one or two lenses suffice and I have no need for all the extra space offered by the, admittedly, very large leather bag that I have.

One of the reasons why I don’t like now, and never liked before in my entire career as a photographer, small bags is that you can indeed fit all you need there but you will need to pile up things, often in two layers, and of course you will see that when you need lens A, it will be under lens B or C so in order you take it out you either have to put something somewhere down or you would need to grow an extra pair of hands.

I see a lot of people buying very beautiful messenger bags which really only fit a body with a lens on and one or two other lenses in one layer. Because people often tend to own more, if that’s all you have you will have to put some lenses on top of others, let alone another body with the body cap alone  which you then quickly need to open and put a lens on should you ever need it, while taking all the things which are impairing access to the lens or the body.

Unfortunately, also due to a small acquired disability, my finger top dexterity has been greatly diminished in the last few years, so I might easily drop something if I try to juggle all of these things at the same time.

In other words my advise to you is to either reduce your needs to one or two bodies with two zoom lenses covering the widest possible range that you can afford, better if the two bodies each have the lenses permanently attached in order to minimize lens change, always a source of problems while on a trip.

Otherwise you need a larger bag to carry all your equipment and a smaller one to carry the equipment that you will chose for the day. Always try to picture in your mind the operative situation and how would you really work with things in the field.

post-106-0-05077200-1447408044.jpg

You will now of course hear all sorts of brandnames ( Ona, Temba.....) from others advising you to do what they do, I am not going to do that because I am not you and you are not me.

What I can share with you is an attitude, a way of thinking,and how to work out, for yourself, what the best bag (s) is (are) for you.

Brands and types won’t help you much because they will reflect someone else’s needs and way to work with their equipment which might not be yours.

Good luck!

Wow!  That is fancy Schmancy.  Damn.  Too fancy for me.  I'm usually in mud, dirt, sand, wet sand, saltwater, freshwater, and oh, dirt.  This is very pretty though.  I prefer cheap.  The cheaper, the better as long as I can fit what I need.  Photo looks awesome though!!  

Jorge L. Moro   | X-T1 |  X-T2 | 18-55 |  Zeiss 12/2.8  |  Fuji 16 1.4  |   Fuji 23 1.4 | Fuji 35 1.4 | Fuji 60 2.4 Macro | Fuji 55-200  |

My websitexshooters blog  |  Flickr  | 

#38 milandro

milandro

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,644 posts

Posted 30 May 2016 - 03:34 PM

I like the feeling and looks of leather and the fact that just a little bee’s wax on a brush brings back the the soft feel and protects your bag indefinitely.  Even if you were to handle this bag heavily you could treat it with other more protective oils ( Mink, Neatsfoot oil) and use it almost indefinitely, after all leather is a durable and sustainable.

There are many bags which are way more expensive than this both in the canvas or leather category. At the time when I bought this, I researched the market well ( or so I thought) and came to the conclusion that for my requirements  this was the best possible solution at a reasonable price ( which is sensibly risen in the meantime) and I also understand that the former Dutch importer is no longer importing this brand and perhaps they were also looking at different products since the sent me recently what looked like a closing special offer for their products.

But there are as many bags as there are photographers. To each his one.

To all TAPATALK users

#39 darngooddesign

darngooddesign

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 68 posts

Posted 15 June 2016 - 02:36 AM

I have one of the very inexpensive BBK-3 bags. It has held up well for the two years I've owned it.

#40 milandro

milandro

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,644 posts

Posted 15 June 2016 - 06:38 AM

I had one of those, it was ok, but it was too small for my needs.

I sold it when I bought my leather Jill-E design Jack extra large messenger.

To all TAPATALK users

x

Registration is free

Not registered? Really?

Discover the full potential of the Fuji X Forum... register now!
Registration is free and done in a few minutes!

As registered member you can discuss, post your questions and present your images.
And get in contact with Fuji X photographers worldwide!

We are looking forward to you!

The Fuji X Forum Team

Register Close