100 replies to this topic

#41 cug

cug

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 224 posts

Posted 26 January 2016 - 07:57 PM

Advertisement (Gone after free registration)

I understand the appeal of the dial – I like it myself on my X-T1, but it certainly is slower, less fluid when in a quick changing environment and the frigging lock button is just a pain in the rear.

So, while I applaud the idea, the implementation falls far short of what it could have been. Let's hope for the best on the X-T2. Although I believe it'll just get a re-org and might work in the same slow and awkward way of the X-Pro2. Which is also super cool, but again, slow to use compared to "button + general purpose dial". 

#42 darknj

darknj

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 764 posts
  • LocationBelgium

Posted 26 January 2016 - 08:45 PM

I understand the appeal of the dial – I like it myself on my X-T1, but it certainly is slower, less fluid when in a quick changing environment and the frigging lock button is just a pain in the rear.

[...]

I also hate the ISO dial on the X-T1, but eventually I still got used to it. My workflow changed to adapt that silly dial.

But yeah, I still don't know why they didn't made it clickable, press it once and you are on free roll ISO, press it again and you lock it down. I would have loved it so much more that way.

• caterham and cug like this

#43 bhu

bhu

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 57 posts

Posted 27 January 2016 - 09:16 AM

For me, the hybrid view finder on the X-Pro is a neat feature but not really that useful at long focal lengths. I typically look through the viewfinder with both eyes open and only close the left eye to concentrate on reading the information from the electronic portion. When tracking targets, i have both eyes open so it is nice to see the close-up view in the right eye using just the EVF rather than a small box representing lens field of view. Maybe this sounds weird and I am missing something an OVF would provide.

Anyway, there are a few opportunities to trim cost on a notional X-E3 based off the X-Pro2:

Hybrid VF -> EVF

Remove ISO from the shutter speed dial to lower the dial's complexity

Remove joystick (as much as I like the concept), perhaps one or two of the programmable or more remote buttons attached inside by long flexes, then transfer some of the functions to software

If enough money is saved maybe a touch tilt screen can be added. (A tilt screen is more easily damaged than a fixed one, adds a lot of mechanical complexity, and divides the camera body into two, sealed pieces, some structure, and a sealed electrical cable between. It is very useful but not without significant cost and reliability impacts, which Fujifilm would transfer to the customers.) An OLED display with an integrated touch sensor costs more than a LCD but is visible over a much wider field of view. Hopefully, it can be dimmed more than the LCD, too. (As another side note, the front of the camera and the image sensor should measure subject luminance levels and adjust both the OVF and rear display luminance to better match. It is inconvenient for me to be blinded by the camera in dim environments.)

#44 MSW

MSW

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 93 posts

Posted 29 January 2016 - 06:17 PM

You want a smaller body? Bux X-T10. You want less retro looking? Buy any X-T. X-E3 should be X-Pro 2 minus OVF minus weather sealing minus joystick = affordable 24 MP with new processor!

Ditto that.  And don't make it bigger or heavier than E2!

#45 9.V.III

9.V.III

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 60 posts

Posted 01 February 2016 - 10:57 AM

I don't see why people would want the joystick removed, but if we can change AF points with a touchscreen then it's mostly moot.

#46 cug

cug

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 224 posts

Posted 01 February 2016 - 06:23 PM

I don't see why people would want the joystick removed, but if we can change AF points with a touchscreen then it's mostly moot.

No, it's not. With the joystick it is super simple to move the AF point while you are looking through the viewfinder. It's impossible to use a touchscreen then. 

• t1gsp likes this

#47 MSW

MSW

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 93 posts

Posted 14 March 2016 - 02:28 AM

I think I've mentioned this else where and I think this may apply to more than just the X-Ex series:

Exposure bracketing allows you a maximum range of +1/0/-1 stops.  I really want the option for +2/0/-2 stops.  I some landscape handheld HDR is very, very useful.  -/1 one stop is not enough, however.   I'm not a big fan of the HDR "look" but it a useful capability in some situations when you just want/need more DR.  I can do it now if I have a tripod but that is not always the case - plus lugging a tripod kind of goies against the whole X-E1/2/3 idea..

#48 magnesi

magnesi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 67 posts
  • LocationLondon

Posted 16 March 2016 - 12:46 PM

With regards to the ISO dial; on my X-E2 I have my four way dial setup like this:

Left - ISO

Up - AF Mode

Right - Flash Compensation

Down - AF point select

With it set like this I find I can do pretty much all I want for focus and exposure, with just my right hand thumb, without taking my eye away from the viewfinder. From what I understand with the ISO dial and the lock button on the X-T1 and the X-Pro I think I would prefer the ISO working the way I currently have it set.

#49 Max_Elmar

Max_Elmar

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 114 posts

Posted 19 March 2016 - 06:37 PM

With FW 4.0, my list is getting pretty short. New sensor is essential and a joystick would be nice. Dual SD card slots, UHS2 please. Compressed RAF files (optional), please. More weather seals, yes! Tilting screen would be nice if possible within the form factor. I feel the touchscreen and the locking ISO dial are unnecessary - but I wouldn't turn them down...

Edited by Max_Elmar, 19 March 2016 - 06:55 PM.

#50 cosinaphile

cosinaphile

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 83 posts

Posted 20 March 2016 - 05:11 PM

Reading this thread from the beginning one can almost imagine the Fuji firmware development team reading    the thoughts and wishes of the fuji users here ....certainly the desire to have as much of the xt 10 capabilities  in the hoped for xe3 ... of course the xe2s was a bit of a let down ...a very limited refresh.......but it provides a fresh model at a much reduced price for those existing Fuji faithful and newcomer to Fuji  to own a quality body at a very fair price ....in that regard it makes sense.

How remarkable it is that Fuji turned my aging xe 2 into a completely new camera  with the latest firmware ...i would guess that this is the most significant  camera software refresh in the history of   firmware camera update   ....certainly no other company comes close to fujis respect and interest of seeing past gear in the hands of their customers perform at the highest level possible .....they remain a remarkable  camera and lens maker

My wish for an xe3  is a compact version, as far as its possible, of the x pro 2.... with as much speed  and buffer as possible ,and the latest sensor  naturally .

I would also like a mode for low light  that uses 12 mp res in the 24 mp sensor rearranging the pixels tasks to  better low light and dynamic , range  for night photography.

Edited by cosinaphile, 20 March 2016 - 05:14 PM.

#51 Immanuel

Immanuel

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 06 April 2016 - 11:57 AM

In order of appearance:

1) X-T1 size viewfinder in the usual X-E series location

2) X-T1 size viewfinder in the usual X-E series location

3) WR

4) WR

These two top my list by far

5) The new sensor
6) Option to assign ISO to a command dial without pressing an FN button first

7) Front command dial wheel

8) Tilt screen

• Curiojo likes this

#52 xtrans

xtrans

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 22 April 2016 - 02:07 AM

Here's my wishlist for X-E3, and I would buy this camera in a heartbeat and never look at others :

- Larger EVF
- 24MP X-trans3 sensor
- Weather Sealing

- ISO dial (along with the shutter speed dial. If only one is possible I would prefer the shutter speed)
- Same form factor

Edited by xtrans, 25 April 2016 - 08:14 AM.

• Curiojo and ChuckH like this

#53 rrrrrichard

rrrrrichard

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts
  • LocationSan Francisco

Posted 29 April 2016 - 12:56 AM

My preferred order of importance:

Tilting screen (with minimal form-factor impact).

X-trans3 24MP sensor.

AF point joystick.

Very high magnification viewfinder.

Some Fuji-ish solution to the ISO UI issue. (It needs to be nearer to the surface of the UI.)

#54 mlubomirov

mlubomirov

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 29 April 2016 - 06:39 PM

WR body
AF like dslr
Dinamic range on low iso
Large evf

#55 bhu

bhu

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 57 posts

Posted 16 May 2016 - 06:11 AM

Here are a few thoughts regarding the EVF:

1. A larger exit-pupil would be great. This will make designing the EVF much more challenging but if Fujifilm can do it and make a viewfinder work without getting as close to the lens, more cameras could be sold. (An extreme example of a viewfinder with a very large exit pupil is the rear display on the camera.)
  2. When shooting in middle to low light, the EVF becomes too bright and my left eye becomes blind because the right eye image dominates completely. That is why it would be nice to have controls for quick luminance adjustment like a control wheel to prevent the viewfinder from overwhelming the image in the other eye. The camera's sensor could also be used to measure object luminance and automatically set EVF luminance as appropriate for the lighting environment. Also, viewfinder luminance can increase as magnification diverges from 1x to make that image more dominant but it should not destroy night vision unless the user is willing to trade it for the better EVF image. In fact, all displays and LEDs on the camera should adapt to ambient lighting conditions being bright on a sunny day or dim at night. (Keep in mind the dominant image is the brightest one. This is different than a dominant eye, which is the eye your brain is not trained to ignore, or blank out. It is easier than most people think to swap dominant eyes - much easier than swapping handedness.)
  3. Add a toggle that either scales the EVF image to the sensor size or scales it appropriately to 1x magnification using just a subset of teh EVF's pixels. When using lenses with very short or long focal lengths, the image size in the right eye does not match the left eye closely enough and I am forced to close the left. Viewfinders lost some intuitiveness in the transition from optical to electronic.

If you could make the viewfinder do anything you want, what changes would you have?

#56 Scalatron

Scalatron

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 13 June 2016 - 04:13 PM

Psychic function button so I can control it with the power of my mind!

Failing that better AF - more points basically. Er,... can't think of much else really, small increase in pixels to 20MP but not that fussed. Move the card slot to the side so I don't have to remove my tripod QR, some weather sealing. I'm happy with it and glad I feel I have a camera and not an electronic gadget that needs constantly updating.

• Curiojo likes this

#57 Immanuel

Immanuel

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 13 June 2016 - 06:29 PM

1) Rangerfinder style (or it is no X-E3)
2) A larger EVF
3) WR
4) A front dial

The joystick would be nice, but I want the larger EVF more.

• Curiojo and johant like this

#58 darngooddesign

darngooddesign

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 68 posts

Posted 16 June 2016 - 05:26 PM

No, it's not. With the joystick it is super simple to move the AF point while you are looking through the viewfinder. It's impossible to use a touchscreen then.

Not at all, press a button or double tap the screen to shown the AF box and then just move your finger on the screen. The AF square will move based on how far you move your finger.

#59 darngooddesign

darngooddesign

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 68 posts

Posted 16 June 2016 - 05:28 PM

Touchdcreen doesnt work with most gloves. You need a physical control.
  • Curiojo likes this

#60 darngooddesign

darngooddesign

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 68 posts

Posted 16 June 2016 - 05:29 PM

I also hate the ISO dial on the X-T1, but eventually I still got used to it. My workflow changed to adapt that silly dial.

But yeah, I still don't know why they didn't made it clickable, press it once and you are on free roll ISO, press it again and you lock it down. I would have loved it so much more that way.

That or make it behave like the Shutter Speed dial lock.

Edited by darngooddesign, 16 June 2016 - 05:29 PM.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: X-E3

x

Registration is free

Not registered? Really?

Discover the full potential of the Fuji X Forum... register now!
Registration is free and done in a few minutes!

As registered member you can discuss, post your questions and present your images.
And get in contact with Fuji X photographers worldwide!

We are looking forward to you!

The Fuji X Forum Team

Register Close