54 replies to this topic

#41 mdm

mdm

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 447 posts

Posted 02 February 2017 - 07:14 AM

Advertisement (Gone after free registration)

I don't think so. Huge development costs, tiny market.

I believe not tinier than for GFX or 100-400

#42 johant

johant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 790 posts

Posted 02 February 2017 - 07:42 AM

I believe not tinier than for GFX or 100-400

Since they have the 100-400 now, and are already working on the GFX, a third experiment might be too much?

#43 milandro

milandro

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,707 posts

Posted 02 February 2017 - 08:32 AM

Apples and oranges.

The GFX covers a completely different market where Fuji has little competition and high possible revenues because of the fact that most buyers will be professionals or amateurs with deep pockets.

AS for the 100-400, Fuji has never had a credible long lens for those whom intend to use this camera for wildlife photography, sports or plane spotting. The 100-400 is such a lens.

The number of photographers (especially amateurs) who use a camera for wildlife photography is certainly way higher than those in the “ need” of a 33mm f 1.

Fuji, who is no stranger to providing people with cameras and lenses, knows that.

But of course, people at home wish, beg and pray for Fuji to make any focal lengths with increments of 1mm, between 1 and 1000 and all with f 0,01, lightweight, ultrasonic, lenses. Naturally IBIS in a much smaller camera that at present and with FF 48Mp ( 6K of course!).

Of course at no more than the price that they are buying their camera currently!

As one does... with other people’s companies and money.

Edited by milandro, 02 February 2017 - 10:10 AM.

the popular expression wishful thinking is an oxymoron!

To all TAPATALK users

As a form of courtesy towards your fellow users of this forum, PLEASE remove the obnoxious tapatalk signature, it adds nothing to anyone’s contribution and it is only a sneaky way used by tapatalk to push their product by polluting each forum participant with promoting their products with unpaid advertising for their software and the brand of your phone. Removing it is easy and it is an act of courtesy that shows respect for all those whom are annoyed by this pointless feature. This is not a personal attack to you, the annoyance is caused by tapatalk and the phone or tablet brands, they are getting all the exposure and you gain nothing by this.

#44 Hermelin

Hermelin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 331 posts

Posted 02 February 2017 - 10:39 AM

I honestly wouldn't want one because of size and cost. 35 f/2 is fine is a terrific lens, enough DOF for me at that focal lenght (and if it isn't there's always the 1.4).
If I really want thin DOF I grab my 90 f/2, yes sure 90mm is too long a lof of times, but for outdoor portrait it's terrific.

Edited by Hermelin, 02 February 2017 - 11:46 AM.

• johant likes this

#45 mdm

mdm

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 447 posts

Posted 02 February 2017 - 12:11 PM

No, my main concern is not DOF but low light situations when you need to shoot with adequate ISO and at the same time to have at least 1/60

• Phil likes this

#46 johant

johant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 790 posts

Posted 02 February 2017 - 12:35 PM

No, my main concern is not DOF but low light situations when you need to shoot with adequate ISO and at the same time to have at least 1/60

The difference between f1.4 and f1 is one stop only.

#47 mdm

mdm

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 447 posts

Posted 02 February 2017 - 01:12 PM

Sure and as I've alredy told I agree to updated f1.4

#48 Tikcus

Tikcus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 325 posts

Posted 02 February 2017 - 10:49 PM

My 2 pence worth

Would I buy a 33 F/1, almost certainly not; Do I think Fuji should make one, maybe.

Companies (not just camera companies) make products to satisfy the 1% not the 99% , not always to make money directly.

Having a flagship product that is out of the reach of the majority drives sales of other products.

Look at every market, from computer CPU's to cars to watches to pens.

Every manufacturer releases a flagship product which sales will be a fraction of their entry level and mainstream products

In the UK you can buy a Parker Pen for £10 or a Parker Pen for £500. Not many £500 pens will be sold, probably not enough to justify the production costs in the short term. But without the flagship pens less people would be drawn to the brand.

Look at intel processors how many people buy the intel i7x processors for £1000 each not many but having the high performance flagship and the fastest performance helps drive sales of the mainstream devices.

Not every product in a range needs to make a profit if it adds value to the range.

If Fuji had not released the XF100-400 a portrait/lifestyle/wedding/whatever photographer who in their free time enjoys wildlife photography that was thinking about moving to the Fuji system, may decide not to because they could not replace their current setup

• PascallacsaP likes this

"Share what you have learnt"

My Flickr

#49 Nick05

Nick05

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 182 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 03 February 2017 - 03:16 AM

My 2 pence worth

Would I buy a 33 F/1, almost certainly not; Do I think Fuji should make one, maybe.

Companies (not just camera companies) make products to satisfy the 1% not the 99% , not always to make money directly.

Having a flagship product that is out of the reach of the majority drives sales of other products.
Look at every market, from computer CPU's to cars to watches to pens.

Every manufacturer releases a flagship product which sales will be a fraction of their entry level and mainstream products

In the UK you can buy a Parker Pen for £10 or a Parker Pen for £500. Not many £500 pens will be sold, probably not enough to justify the production costs in the short term. But without the flagship pens less people would be drawn to the brand.
Look at intel processors how many people buy the intel i7x processors for £1000 each not many but having the high performance flagship and the fastest performance helps drive sales of the mainstream devices.

Not every product in a range needs to make a profit if it adds value to the range.
If Fuji had not released the XF100-400 a portrait/lifestyle/wedding/whatever photographer who in their free time enjoys wildlife photography that was thinking about moving to the Fuji system, may decide not to because they could not replace their current setup

I agree with you very much on this. A product that gets people excited about the brand can be worth a lot from a marketing standpoint. And the 100-400mm is the lens that made me switch, but is far from my most used lens.

#50 bhu

bhu

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 81 posts

Posted 03 February 2017 - 06:08 PM

Prestige lenses are just one factor in Fujifilm's decision process.

These are a few of the other factors.

• IQ brand reputation (Fujifilm will not wish to release an ultra-fast lens that cannot take great pictures without being stopped down.)
  • Opportunity cost (What lens would the customers want to drop from the X and GFX roadmaps to devote staff to a 33 mm f/1? You have to expect the same staff is working all of the lenses from X to GFX, maybe even FinePix and Instax. The lens design group cannot just increase staff, temporarily, then lay them off afterward. Training staff for lens design is an expensive investment that takes years to pay off.)
  • Return on investment (If Fujifilm decides to spend 500M yen on a new lens development, how long will it take to recoup the cost and how much potential profit is there in its sales afterward? Investment cost should be lower for refreshing the XF-18-55 versus designing a brand new, ultra-fast lens. Also, the GFX customers should be less price sensitive so a f/1 for medium format lens might represent a larger profit opportunity.)

#51 milandro

milandro

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,707 posts

Posted 03 February 2017 - 06:10 PM

Prestige production without an economic return is a very luxurious undertaking for a  brand which makes most of its money in sectors that are not digital photography. 

IF your pension fund has invested in Fuji stock I am sure that they will demand the company to make money and not losing any, prestige or no prestige.

• johant likes this

To all TAPATALK users

As a form of courtesy towards your fellow users of this forum, PLEASE remove the obnoxious tapatalk signature, it adds nothing to anyone’s contribution and it is only a sneaky way used by tapatalk to push their product by polluting each forum participant with promoting their products with unpaid advertising for their software and the brand of your phone. Removing it is easy and it is an act of courtesy that shows respect for all those whom are annoyed by this pointless feature. This is not a personal attack to you, the annoyance is caused by tapatalk and the phone or tablet brands, they are getting all the exposure and you gain nothing by this.

#52 mdm

mdm

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 447 posts

Posted 04 February 2017 - 08:46 AM

Despite the fact that all these arguments look quite convincing I'm  still sad. Is Fugi going to do something about it? ;)

#53 johant

johant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 790 posts

Posted 04 February 2017 - 09:08 AM

Despite the fact that all these arguments look quite convincing I'm still sad. Is Fugi going to do something about it? ;)

Well, what do you think?

#54 milandro

milandro

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,707 posts

Posted 04 February 2017 - 09:10 AM

Ask Mrs. Fuji to give you a cuddle a cup of cocoa , tuck you in and kiss you good night? There! 

To all TAPATALK users

#55 bhu

bhu

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 81 posts

Posted 04 February 2017 - 09:37 PM

Despite the fact that all these arguments look quite convincing I'm  still sad. Is Fugi going to do something about it? ;)

Well, just because there is a rumor that the rumored 33 mm f/1 is off the development schedule does not mean it, or something like it, will never be produced.

The lens could be back on the roadmap a year from now as Fujifilm finishes off some of the other lens projects. What if Fujifilm decided to make a f/1 video lens between 30 mm and 40 mm? There is also a possibility the old 35 mm f/1.4 could be refreshed and enlarged to a f/1 to better separate it from the 35 f/2's market. The f/2 WR lenses have a lot of attraction for those who do not have the older lenses so Fujifilm is likely wondering whether to retire the sub-f/2 lenses or rework them sometime in the future into lenses without so much overlap in use. Adding WR, increasing focus speed, and bulking them up with larger elements must surely have been discussed internally because the f/2s cannibalize new sales of the previous generation.

Do not give up hope.

x

Registration is free

Not registered? Really?

Discover the full potential of the Fuji X Forum... register now!
Registration is free and done in a few minutes!

As registered member you can discuss, post your questions and present your images.
And get in contact with Fuji X photographers worldwide!

We are looking forward to you!

The Fuji X Forum Team

Register Close