XF33mmF1.0 rumors

Patrick FR

With this addition I think they've got a first class portrait lens lineup. With an f1.0 lens they're really nipping at the heels of the full frame systems.

For my purposes I just need to see that 100-400 zoom lens. If that lens passes the test with flying colors (sharp across the frame, low CA, fast focusing) then this system will have everything I could want.

I welcome the prospect of a Fuji Noctilux. However, I hope people realise that f/1.0 lenses compromise on acutance in exchange for low light performance, with this compromise in acutance persisting even when stopped down. This is certainly true of the Leica Noctilux vs the Summilux 50mm lenses, as this study shows:

http://www.lensrentals.com/blog/2014/06/comparing-rangefinder-and-slr-50mm-lenses-version-0-7

Likewise, the old Canon 50mm f/1.0L lens exchanged acutance for light gathering ability, with the softness persisting even when stopped down. Even the Canon 50mm f/1.2 compromises on acutance a little to achieve its light gathering ability. The Canon 50mm f/1.4 has slightly better acutance, especially in the corners. The Leica 50mm lens with the best acutance is the f/2.0 Summicron. 

That's an instant buy for me. If the performance is there, this will probably the XF king and a big reason for people to switch to the system. IF the performance is there. Judging from the other XF lenses, though, it's fair to say that Fuji will not deliver a slouch.

Because there are at least 3 market segments for this and many other things.

In Marketing this is called “ vertical product differentiation " the customer of the f1 is not the same customer of the f2.

Performance and price level will vary so greatly that will make the two lenses not alternative.

Look it up here, it will give you some basic knowledge of marketing

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Product_differentiation

Both Canon, Nikon, and Leica offer multiple versions at this focal length. Leica has the Noctilux, Summilux and Summicron f/0.95, f/1.4, and f/2.0 respectively. Canon used to have an f/1.0 but now only offers a f/1.2, f/1.4 and f/1.8.

These are all quite different lenses despite having the common 50mm or so FF equivalent focal length.

I do hope that Fuji offer a high-end f/1.0 lens rather than another Mitakon type of one-trick pony with a wide maximum aperture but few other virtues. However, that could make it one very expensive lens. The Canon 50mm f/1.0L used to cost $4000 and the Noctilux costs close to $10K.

Because there are at least 3 market segments for this and many other things.

In Marketing this is called “ vertical product differentiation " the customer of the f1 is not the same customer of the f2.

Performance and price level will vary so greatly that will make the two lenses not alternative.

Look it up here, it will give you some basic knowledge of marketing

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Product_differentiation

LOL I know what PD is.

Let me be clear, I love the idea of Fuji having a super fast prime lens, the thing I'm not quite sure is if Fuji shooters need another ~35mm prime at the moment (or near future), I think some gaps need to be filled first as you guys all know.

The other thing I don't understand is why are they releasing the f2 now, having already a super good budget lens (f1.4) and another superb lens in the future.

If this is rumor is confirmed I'd like it to see for sale in 2017.

If you know it that you know that a lens with a price point of €399 hits a different market segment than one for €1000.

The 1.4 is yesteryears lens and there is no telling its place in the future plans they might keep it or disappear altogether along with the 27mm and the 18mm all lenses now sold in combination with cameras that are on the exit.

Canon produced the 50mm f/1.0L mostly as a show pony lens to prove they could do it. It was mostly a stunt to get attention, but the lens didn't sell well and they soon pulled it from production. Likewise, the Leica Noctilux is there just to prove that they can. People buy them just to prove that they can. 

If Fuji produce a relatively affordable 33mm f/1.0 people may well complain about how soft it is, how much heavier it is, and how their f/2.0 version is/was much sharper despite being cheaper. Then they might wish they got the f/1.4 version instead, because it is still pretty fast, yet still sharp.

Very light efficient lenses exited since the ’20. They made a different sense in times of slow films and manual focus.

But their function became very different when autofocus capabilities because faster and more precise than the average photographer could be even with a lens like this light efficient.

Of course, nowadays there is a new generation of photographers who only ever used them completely open in order to get the best use of the bokeh ( Ah! The Bokeh!).

One could make a case for a lens without an aperture or with a separate aperture to be used only if and when you can do without the bokeh! 

hyacinthbucket.jpg

It’s pronounced BOKEH!

• 3 months later...

so with todays rumour of a September announcement, for sale before Christmas if like other stuff ~1 month after announcement.

Will this be fuji's most expensive lens for the X mount yet?

It's definitely getting crowded in the normal focal length range (~35mm - 50mm full frame equivalent), we have a 23mm, a 27mm, and 2, 35mm lenses.

Perhaps Fuji will release a host of new super fast lenses (at least 1 stop faster) covering similar focal lengths to what we already have and charge "pro" prices for them.

as I already have the 35 F/1.4, it would be really unlikely for me to part with money on a 33 F/1, I have to many missing lenses in my own collection to double up on focal lengths; also I could not think of a use for the lens (for me) that is not filled by the 35mm F/1.4, I'm not a fine art photographer, so having a slightly better lens is of little interest to me.

A 23mm and a 56mm F/2 at similar prices to the 35mm F/2 would be more attractive to me, mainly because I do not have either of the current versions (although the 56 F/1.2 is the next lens on my 'wish' list to buy)

I really hope it's under $1500CAD. If so I'll be buying it as soon as I can afford it. For what I use the 35mm for, this would only be better and is exactly what I want from Fuji. If the AF performance is even on par with the 35 1.4 (a little slower but less hunting would be fine, too), and if the wide open performance is similar, it'll be an instant buy for me.

• 2 months later...

If fuji can bring this lens out at less or around $1500 US and it has stellar performance then the stakes will again be upped to a higher level for the big boys to take note that they are going to lose more customers than what they already have been losing overall.

Not only does the price of this lens need to be relatively inexpensive in the world of photography but it needs to totally stomp on what other lenses from other companies can offer.

If it does both...need I say more...

Probably not!

:D

Czech

I'd rather have a 70 1.4 from Fuji

Great idea, and quite feasible. A lens like that would fit in very nicely i think.

But a whole other story .. surely not an alternative to any 33mm F1.

And no reason we can't have both! A 33 appears to be up first if anything .. no way around it.

Edited by Maurice

33/1.0 will definitely be preordered if/when it gets announced. I won't mind the size, weight, or price so long as it performs the way we have come to expect from premium XF lenses. Combine that with the fact that it will probably have its own unique look/rendering that makes it stand out from the rest of the XF line, and you can pretty much take my $1500 right meow.

Regarding price, I definitely believe it can be around $1500 or even slightly less.

Regarding the concerns over its size, I don't believe this will be as much of an issue as people are making it out to be. It is a dedicated APSC lens which means that one could deduce that it will be no larger than the Canon 50L, the Mitakon 50/.95, the Leica, etc since the image circle can be significantly smaller. I believe there is a good chance the Fuji 33 could be smaller than those just I have mentioned. Having owned, shot, and/or handled all of those lenses, none of them are excessively large IMO. I could definitely live with something in the size range of the Canon 50. I imagine it would fit quite nicely on something like the xpro2.

• 2 months later...

My XF35 F/1.4 is so good, not sure I need n extra stop of light, or a shallower DOF

Honestly thinking about it, I don't use half the lenses I have access to, the only focal length gaps is something wider than 18mm.

However, I very rarely shoot landscapes and find the 18mm wide enough when I do, and I find the lens sharp enough.

The only time I wished I had something wider was when I used the camera for video, (actually tempted to buy a Samyang cine lens)

I'd be interested in a 200mm F/2.8 if it was compatible with the 1.4 X TC (and the upcoming 2X TC), as would get a 280mm F/4, and a 400mm F/5.6, but I expect tit to be expensive for a lens that I'd only use every now and again

An XF33mm f/1.0 is definitely something I'd be interested in. I lean heavily on my 35mm lenses (both f/1.4 and f/2) for wedding work, and if the 33mm f/1 were to be released I'd probably sell the f/1.4 and jump on the 33mm. Hope this happens!!

Me too. I don't use 35mm too too often, but when I do, I've got that 50mm Summilux look in mind, and I feel like this would get pretty close. 50mm is more of a portrait length for me, as opposed to a daily carry, so I wouldn't mind the potential size and AF speed issues. 

I've said it before, but other than the possible exception of the 16mm, if this 33mm got announced, every other camera purchase would be put on hold until I could get this lens.

• 1 month later...

Although it is rumoured that Fuji might have shelved this project, now that Sony have released the Planar T* FE 50mm F1.4 ZA for E mount with MTF plots that look a hair better than even the Zeiss Otus 55mm f/1.4, I do hope that Fuji can fire back with a 33mm f/1.0 with MTF plots just as good. 

Sony are only finding their feet when it comes to designing mirrorless lenses. However, there is good reason to think that Fuji are likewise gaining from increased experience designing for the X mount. I would like to see a state of the art 33mm f/1.0 lens from Fuji even if it is a little bit pricier than what we are used to. 

• 5 months later...