X-T10 Nikon Newb

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#21 CRAusmus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 414 posts
  • LocationGeorgia or Texas...Pick one...

Posted 16 October 2015 - 02:17 AM

Advertisement (Gone after free registration)

@cug: Thank you for taking the time to answer my questioin.

It seems that taking pictures of moving objects can lead to different results. This video from May 2014 shows a comparison of four mirror less cameras and a Nikon D4s.

At that pre FW 4.0 time the Fuji T1 was the slowest, but still capable. They also came to the conclusion that the Panasonic GH4 also mirrorless comes very close to the Nikon D4s.

My point is not to discuss if a morrorles has 90% or 99% of the performance of the D4s. But even 80% of the best of the best DSLR should be usable in many cases. Your experience obviously is different where you came to the conclusion that the T1 can be used for stills and slowly moving objects only. 

So apart from all objective measurements the subjective user experience can be very different.

As the above is just 2nd hand information here my own experience:

At good light condition the auto focus is quite fast but it becomes slow and inaccurate if the light becomes dim. My biggest problem when trying to track a moving object is the long  time where the viewer is dark after each shot.

I'm having a hard time figuring out why they chose to test the X-T1 with the 55-200 instead of the comparable 50-140.  It is the lens that is the highest quality and the most comparable to the other lenses tested on the other bodies.  Do any of you feel that the 50-140 would have allowed the X-T1 score higher?

Edit: Nevermind.  The information I'm finding is that the 50-140 was introduced in November of '14 and this video was published in May '14.  That explains why they didn't use it, but in my opinion, it also drastically changes the outcome for Fuji with all the firmware upgrades since then...

X70  •  X-Pro1  •  X-T1  •  14  •  27  •  35  •  60  •  55-200

#22 BobbyR

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • LocationToronto

Posted 16 October 2015 - 02:06 PM

I'm more interested in how the X-T1 stacks up against the other MILCs, not against the D4s. I have no interest in a bulky DSLR. I like the Fuji system but I'm concerned that the AF technology just isn't in the same league with the competition for whatever reason. Would the rankings of these cameras still be the same today as it was a year ago? IMHO, the X-T1 is a pretty expensive camera to be exhibiting these shortcomings. Hell, even the X-T10 and the X-E2 are expensive cameras and they too should perform as well as their competition in this regard. IMHO.

Still trying to decide on Fuji and this is a concern. I like the look and feel of the cameras, the sensor and the lenses. IQ is terrific. All good. But if the thing can't focus properly in a hurry it's all out the window.

What to do...

#23 bj1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 16 October 2015 - 07:22 PM

I sold my D300 & lenses, including the 18-200, 18 months ago to buy an XT1 from one of the first batches available here in the Middle East. I really liked the D300 & 18-200 for travel & while it is not a super sharp lens by any means, it made pix I was quite happy with & that won several local competitions, so the 12MP & average sharpens of the lens were no technical barrier.
It's a tough place for cameras here, with the temperature extremes and ever present dust in the air, so changing lenses is not something I liked to do very often, so the 18-200 stayed on most of the time. In the end, it was the weight & size that became a deciding factor in favour of the Fuji. Small planes & big camera bags do not go together. Pro friends, such as Zack Arias, Dave Hobby & Bobby Lane all switched to Fuji or at least added Fuji's to their gear list to try the system out & see if they could ditch their full frames & many bags of gear when on travel assignments. I'm not within long distance driving of their talent but I thought if they could make a living with the Fuji's, then I could surely make some pix I'd be happy with. So, I swapped & on the whole, have no regrets. Aside from the light leak when the accessory door was open which affected some of the early XT1's, I've had no issues at all. The lenses are noticeably sharper than the 18-200 but I have to swap between the 18-55 & the 55-200 to get the same range. While these aren't rated as weather resistant, they have coped with the tough conditions here & also been out in bad weather on the Norwegian Atlantic coast & around London on stormy days without a hitch (of course, everyone's experience could vary & Fuji do not rate them as weather resistant).
The biggest issue is getting used to the different feel in the hand & placement of controls. The tech specs from camera to camera are pretty much the same & just about every modern camera will make a good photo in experienced hands. For me, it comes down to that tactile experience & whether you can adapt to the different haptics in a reasonable time. The XT10 is a smaller camera than the XT1 & if you are a person with medium to large hands, this might be a frustrating experience that no amount of usage will overcome. My best advice would be to hire one if you live somewhere where you have access to see if it is a good physical match. Other things to consider are whether you are left or right eye dominant & the placement of the viewfinder & the AF-L & AE-L buttons. If you like to back button focus without taking the camera from your eye & you are left eye dominant, then your nose may get in the way of a smooth access to these buttons. These sorts of things are the more practical considerations that you would need to live with. While it is true that we really buy into a system & the lenses are the backbone of that system while the cameras will come & go, we still tend to keep cameras for several years & several years of frustration will bug you each time you take it out of your camera bag. I really love my XT1 & have had amazing support from Fujifilm Middle East, but I think you should try before you buy if this is at all possible.

#24 Madmischief

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 30 December 2015 - 06:33 PM

Hi Cy

Conscious this is an old thread, but here is my view being a D7100 user.

I got the XT1 with the 18-135mm WR lens recently, because:

1. it has weather proofing vs the XT10, not sure if this is an issue for you, but I travel a lot.

2. Felt more solid and secure in hand - 5'10 so no giant hands ;)

3. After rebates over Xmas in the UK, the difference was worth it both from an immediate and a resell perspective.

4. This body felt better with the bigger lens on, abalance thing - which will depend on your hands and shooting style.

5. Lenses are smaller which is really useful for me - especially the prime 18mm, 27mm & 35mm V2.

On the system switch, though I gave up an awesome camera:

I use the Fuji more. Did a 10km hike yesterday and hardly felt the weight, even with a ergonomic speed-strap, I always felt the D7100 an encumbrance (note: I am not a small guy).

Not having a second card slot is a factor, but not an issue so far.

Hope that helps

#25 Cy_J

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 30 December 2015 - 06:43 PM

Thanks for the feedback. I neglected to update this thread since it was older but I also jumped on an X-T1 and 18-135 combo deal last month. Much like you I am enjoying the new setup without any regrets. I just ordered a me 128gb card which should solve most of my anxiety about the lack of dual card slots. :)

#26 Madmischief

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 30 December 2015 - 08:46 PM

Enjoy Cy :)

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: X-T10, Nikon, Newb

Registration is free

Not registered? Really?

Discover the full potential of the Fuji X Forum... register now!
Registration is free and done in a few minutes!

As registered member you can discuss, post your questions and present your images.
And get in contact with Fuji X photographers worldwide!

We are looking forward to you!

The Fuji X Forum Team

Register Close