Should I upgrade to an X-T1?

doroff

Let me give a bit of an explanation. I am looking to upgrade my current kit. Right now I'm using the XE1. You could say I'm a working amateur photographer. I primarily do performance photography and portraiture. So live music and theatre performances mostly, which is why I'm looking to upgrade. To be honest the XE1 dosent quite cut it anymore and I believe I need my gear to be a bit faster.

So I'm torn as to what upgrade to make, an XE2, a XT1, or wait for the XPRO2 if it ever comes. Being that the XT1 is recieving an update to the firmware for its autofocus abilities I am leaning towards it. My only concern is that the components between the XE2 and XT1 are almost identical. Does anyone think the XE2 will be getting the same firmaware update? Seeing as they share the same processor and parts. I just would like to invest wisely in my purchase and if the XE2 is going to have the same capabilities as the XT1 I would prefer to save the money as I don't need the weather sealing.

Then I could always wait for the XPRO2 (i prefer the body style too...) So that's my question, is the XT1 worth the extra money for the update? Or should I settle for the XE2?

I think if absolute AF performance is the most important to you, then maybe Fuji or indeed CSC in general, isn't the best system for you.

That said, imHo the XT1 offers enough over the XE2 in terms of features, build quality and getting FW updates to justify buying it

I have both bodies. I love both of them. The X-T1 is my go to when it is important. The X-E1 is my every day carry. You will be happier with the X-T1 for events. When Firmware 4.0 is available in late June, auto focus promises to be much more on par with DSLR level performance. We will have to wait until June to find out. The mini review on Fuji Rumors is pretty enthusiastic about the pre release version. He ended by saying once you have tried it, you won't want to go back. For events, the improved continuous focus and better low light performance will have you doing cartwheels when comparing with the X-E1. Even with firmware 3.X. 

I'm sure you are aware the sensors are identical (in theory). IQ will be similar. What you will gain with the X-T1 is more "keepers" for each session. Particularly, from the areas that are probably giving you headaches with the X-E1. You will get the electronic shutter and the advantages that go along with that. Probably not much for events except for total silence if you ever need to really be unobtrusive. The flippy screen has some advantages for you in crowds. You will also notice some speed improvements that are sometimes subtle, sometimes important. If you do lots of shooting in continuous mode, pick up one or two of the ultra high speed cards. Yes, they are expensive, but they are very fast. As mentioned before, build quality - the X-T1 is built like a brick!  

Thanks everybody! Yea I can see where waiting to see what the XT10 does to the market makes a lot of sense. As well as really waiting to see the firmware update come June. I really love my XE1 and I plan on keeping it as a back up to whatever camera I get. I guess I'm pretty excited to see what the new update is going bring and maybe that really will give me the upgrade I need for my work. I still only wonder if the XE2 will receive a similar update in the future.

I still only wonder if the XE2 will receive a similar update in the future.

I think we will have an answer soon. Watch what happens to the XE2 price after X-T10 hits.  That should be quite telling of what their plans are in terms of market positioning and firmware AF update plans for the X-E2. 

A cheaper X-T10 in the form X-E2 (w/ AF update) does not make sense to me.  An X-E2 w/ AF update at the same price as X-T10 does not make sense to me either as it may affect X-T10 sales.   Only thing that make sense to ME, is a  reduced prices on existing X-E2 stock w/o AF update.   Updating firmware on X-E2 will affect secondary market price values, which is not something that I think would be a good thing for new X-T1 AND T10 sales.  People are already have enough problems deciding between X-E2 and X-T1.  Holding back Af update on X-E2 will create further market separation between X-T1, X-T10 and X-E2.  

the “ components” aren’t almost identical between X-T1 and X-E1 ( very different EVF and the X-E1has an early processor, making many of the X-T1 improvements impossible for this camera) , the X-T1 has obviously superior performance and the update in just a few days will make the gap only that much bigger. Besides if you are a theater photographer  you will be missing the electronic shutter. Investing in a X-E2, at this point, is not wise since that camera will be the next one to be given a slow or no kaizen at all.

Obviously, unless somebody is crazy at Fuji, the X-10 won’t outperform the X-T1 and it certainly won’t in the area that a theater photographer should appreciate the most, the EVF.

Yet, I would wait until the X-T10 has come out and then I would put the two cameras side by side because it is possible that the the difference between the two is not big enough for you to decide to go the X-T1 direction.

Milandro,

Great post. There is one additional difference I can think of when considering a camera for theater use besides AF speed in low light and that is the need for and ease of getting into spot metering mode. Also spot metering that tracks the focus point location instead of being always in the center might be useful.

cheers x-tc, spot metering mode is indeed very useful since the high contrast which you often see in these situations. I haven’t shot theater things for a while ( I was the photographer of a theater group in my very young learning years) and certainly not with a AF camera, but I can absolutely see how, the new firmware, would make this a lot easier than it is now and certainly better than it is possible to achieve now with the X-E1.

IMO, I think there would be greater chance of an X-E3 than E2 with the new 4.0 fw. The electronic shutter, as example, never came to the E2.

If you favor low light AF performance I think the T1 is your best bet.  The buffer on the T10 seems to fill up quickly.

(http://bjornmoerman.blogspot.ae/2015/05/first-look-fujifilm-x-t10-camera-review_18.html)

As noted spot metering is likely useful, and even better if it's on a physical dial

Whatever you do don't sell your E1, I wish I kept mine!

Here is a more recent comparison choosing the E2 over the T1

http://mirrorlessminutes.com/fujixe2vsxt1/

Thanks everybody! Yea I can see where waiting to see what the XT10 does to the market makes a lot of sense. As well as really waiting to see the firmware update come June. I really love my XE1 and I plan on keeping it as a back up to whatever camera I get. I guess I'm pretty excited to see what the new update is going bring and maybe that really will give me the upgrade I need for my work. I still only wonder if the XE2 will receive a similar update in the future.

IMO, I think there would be greater chance of an X-E3 than E2 with the new 4.0 fw. The electronic shutter, as example, never came to the E2.

good point.  I don't think Fuji will waste their time with it.  Just continue on with further price reductions as they already are doing to liquidate remaining stock without any more FW updates to add features.  Just like they have done with X-Pro1.

XE2 will likely receive selected aspects of Firmware 4.0 due to the delay in getting XE3 to market caused by focus on X Pro and X-T10.

Agreed on selected.

But given improvement in AF in low light as well as AF-C with the T line (assuming 4.0 really does make good on its claim) and given the OP's subject matter and lighting conditions, I would go with the X-T1.  

Right now BH has the E2 for $699, that makes the decision more difficult. :mellow:

If you need to update today, and money is a factor than I would say the T10 is the way to go ( I see it being a "faster", better low light and AF-C performer than the E2...today..or at least when the T10 is actually in the wild).

If you need to update today and money is no object than T1.

.. Or should I settle for the XE2?

I never settle. Save up another paycheck or three and say "Fuji...take my money"

Also, the best point in deciding on a new body is that they come and go, you buy the best you can afford right now and in less than two years you'll do exactly the same. 

Let me give a bit of an explanation. I am looking to upgrade my current kit. Right now I'm using the XE1. 

What does the XE2 provide you that you are unhappy about the XE1? Then decide if the XE2 goes far enough in that aspect or if you need to go further up to be satisfied. Not counting on firmware updates that my likely never come on the XE2. I hope that helps. 

While I saw the X-T10's focusing being very slightly quicker than the non-4.0 X-T1, which in turn is very slightly quicker than the X-E2, I only really noticed it with the fastest primes. (And the 60mm, oddly.) Didn't notice any difference when using the 16-55, 18-55 or 50-140 zooms. So if you're a zoom shooter, I wouldn't worry about the AF so much. If you're a prime shooter, the X-T1 or X-T10 are the way to go; I don't see any reason why Fuji would update the X-E2's AF, and even if they did, why it would actually become any faster. Remember, the main difference in AF is the new tracking zone modes; the speed and accuracy difference is absolutely marginal and may not be something which can actually be improved on the X-E2.

So, live music and theatre. Having tried shooting gigs with the X-T1 and, foolishly, an X100S, I'd say the X-T1 is pretty much your only really reliable option. Even then you're going to want to match it with the fastest primes. The X-T10 did seem a tiny, tiny bit faster with most prime lenses, but the larger EVF of the X-T1 is more helpful in darker, more frantic spaces and the X-T1's AF should match the X-T10 with the next firmware update.
That said, the X-T10 is smaller and lighter and cheaper. You could buy two X-T10s for the price of one X-T1 and have a different prime lens on each, ready to go. That would maximise flexibility and speed at the cost of the nicer EVF, buffer depth and the slightly tougher body. Depends what your priorities are.

As far as waiting for the X-Pro2 goes, yes, it probably will give you more resolution, it may be a body style you prefer and there's no reason why it wouldn't have just as fast AF, if not even faster. On the other hand, we have no solid idea when it will actually be available, what the price will be or what the performance actually will be like. If anything, it would make a lot of sense for Fuji to target the Pro2 for slower shooters in need of higher image quality and the T line for speed.

In short, I'd rank your potential purchases thus:
X-E2: the X-T10 is the same price and you know it is faster, no relying on a firmware update which may never come or may not do what you want. Unfortunate if you prefer the rangefinder styling, but forget the X-E2.
X-T10: If you don't need the size and weather sealing of the X-T1, save money and get the X-T10. Same IQ, same AF. With prime lenses it's as fast to focus as any DSLR other than a 1DX or D4S.
X-T1: Pay more, get weather sealing, larger buffer and a bigger EVF.
X-Pro2: You could be waiting until next year before it's actually in your hands and, though it shouldn't be any slower than the T cameras, we've no idea if it will be any faster, either.
If more resolution and fastest AF is important to you, or you want to use zooms: Get a DSLR.