Fuji hatred? Why?

milandro

It sounds a bit like you are worried that people are not "intelligent" enough to take everything they read on Internet with a grain of salt.

Of course you are right but it really doesn't matter in the end, if you are able to step back and get some perspective on things it's all that matters, no need to whiteknight and feel that truth must absolutely be reestablished (it's a lost fight, look at history books...)

That's why I said vacuum bags.

Vacuum cleaners can be a very emotional purchase. :)

Totally.

For example, I've noticed that when I say to my wife "are you actually going to use that expensive vacuum to gather dust or just leave it in the corner, gathering dust?"

This never fails to solicit a very, VERY emotional response ;)

It does bother me though when somebody hides his acrimony under a blanket of only apparent civilized manners and choses to spew negativity out while making it under the disguise of a test. In other words masking subjectivity under the false pretenses

Yeah. That's the mark of a true professional. What even worse is someone who consistently does it and starts all the reviews the same. It's like they think new reader would not be aware of their historical bias by now.

"Oh wow. This new Fuji looks much better and people are pretty excited. I'm really looking forward to testing it...it looks fantastic so far. Tune back later for my full review where I intent to strike it down compared to the other brands that cater to me with a check. Did I say that out loud?"

Totally.

For example, I've noticed that when I say to my wife "are you actually going to use that expensive vacuum to gather dust or just leave it in the corner, gathering dust?"

If I said something like that to my wife, I am sure she would politely tell me where I can stick that vacuum pole. :lol:

I don't get the whole Steve Huff thing... I just watched his X-T1 hands-on and he was totally excited about it...? 

Anyway, I've already heard lots of people comparing Fuji (Fans) to Apple (Fans), and we all know how dirty that got. Somewhat pricier enthusiast cams in a unique style and great built quality that should satisfy most but don't really exceed in any area. Niche and a little elitist... that's enough to stir up things on both sides on the internet. Maybe in 10 years or so Fuji will have introduced a few super devices, takes over the market and we all get annoyed and switch to that struggling niche manufacturer called Canon?

It's not so bad as the war DSLR vs. mirrorless some people try to stir up though, I never get that attitude. Many Youtube videos like "new OMD XY... is this the end of DSLRS?", "Why a pro fashion shooter sold all his gear and only uses small XY anymore" etc. Kindergarden stuff. I use what works best for me, and Fuji has a concept I just understand because I'm used to old film cameras... and they look great. That's all. 

It is all about respect. Not every one has the same opinion and that is a good thing. So someone does not like the Fujifilm X system. For me it is Ok. I never liked Sony but I considering to switch to the Sony a7r II when it is released. I really enjoy shooting the Fujifilm X system. But I am thinking off ditching Fujifilm for one reason only the lack of QA for there products. I have to many problems with there equipment. Now I have a 50-140 with lens errors that does not work any more. In the past I had also some issues with there QA. All are finally solved but when having a paid assignment it is not fun ;-)

I certainly understand that having issues with any type of equipment spoils the fun of using it, although I think that they would replace or repair things within the terms of the guarantee when they are faulty.

I have to say I have had minor issues too in the Netherlands ( so it might even be a localized component to these issues) which were always resolved by the shops, if not in a timely way ( sending the camera to Fuji NL might as well be sending it to Fiji (!) because they repair in Germany and takes weeks and weeks to get it back!) at least in a satisfactory way.

One thing I am really unhappy about is the fact that Fuji NL doesn’t have a repair service like Nikon or Canon ( I don’t know about Sony).

But I suppose that no camera, camera maker, camera importer, camera repair, camera shop is perfect. Wherever there are humans at work there is the potential for things to go wrong. The other day I phoned my credit card company to be helped with validating my new card. First attempt the person on the phone makes me do the things I had done already and patronizes me from beginning to the end. Very disappointing, felt really bitter about being treated that way.

Second phone call another lady answers the phone. She asked different questions, saw the problem on her computer and corrected it at her end FOR ME.

Which is all I wanted!

I couldn’t be happier.

The essence of this is that problems do happen all the time. A client doesn’t need another problem, he already has one if something goes wrong! At the other end you don’t need problem makers,you need someone who can offer solutions.

Best of luck with your quality issues.

People in Fender forums put their stuff in display cabinets?  Or is that reserved for the Gibson Les Paul crowd? 

Both. I used to live near a store dealing in rare, custom and vintage guitars, and most of their customers were wealthy dentists and lawyers who would spend four- or five-figure sums on something to hang on their wall, not knowing how to actually play anything. From my experience with the music biz, and making guitars, the Fender fans are a little more snobby than the Gibson fans and more frequently are worse players, though the very worst group are the Ibanez/Schecter/ESP/Mayones lot. Amplifier geeks are even worse than the guitar collectors.

Anyhoo... 

Every camera is a tool. HOWEVER, some tools are better than others. They just are.

I find Fuji X cameras the best compromise camera system. There's obvious hatred for it, because it's actually good and competitors and their users know this.

Isn't it what works best for the individual?  Nothing wrong with opinions, either. Many times they are spot-on.

However, many times errant opinions are taken as gospel without the individual checking it out themselves to draw a conclusion.

As far as Steve Huff- didn't he dump his Leica 240 for Sony A7 series cameras?

I'll say this, before I had to sell my gear some years back, it was all Nikon. Having said that, I can't say I'll be going back to them, except perhaps for a 35mm film camera...maybe.

I've been a fan of Fuji for years, waiting for them to have their day in the sun.  That day has dawned, IMO.

My take on this is to mis-quote Churchill: "Fuji is the worst camera system, except for all the others."

There is no perfect camera system, just as there is no perfect car, guitar, watch, audio system, suit, hamburger, etc, etc.

There will be a camera system that fits the requirements of an individual slightly better than others on balance. Unfortunately, that invests the decision-making process with a high degree of personal choice, and that means an alternate camera system can be seen as a sleight on an individual's decision-making skills. 

Most people will decide that one system suits them better than the others, and that's where it ends. The distortion comes when things move from 'suits them better' to 'is better', and then rigidly, blindly defending that position. Fold in a public forum, and dogmatic, infantile spats break out.

TBPH, the best thing to do is give such 'debates' a wide berth. 

• 3 weeks later...

I do find it all hilarious, I was a M43 user and I loved that system and am still thinking of getting a G5 and a couple of lens for video stuff given that the Fuji stuff is currently horrendous for video. Waiting on the X-Pro2 to see if they sort it out and then will make a decision then.

I get that cameras are a nice thing. I love the way my fuji looks and I do get a thril when I 'fondle' it. I think we can form emotional bonds with items like that. For me though that emotional bond is not something that makes me purchase an item. Its something that happens from using it. I bought my X-E2 because it had the best blend of features. I have subsequently come to love it, because it has taken some wonderful pictures and has come with me on some wonderful journeys, for e.g recently to DisneyLand europe with my daughter. There is not a single picture from that trip that I consider worthy for anyone outside of my family to look at (okay maybe 1), however it did capture a lot of wonderful memories faithfully and so it has become part of my life in a way that a kettle just does'nt

So I think its okay to fondle your camera, as long as you also take amazing photo's with it as well. Is it the single justification for a system no, but just because you love your camera, does not automatically make you a bad photographer, it just makes you human.

I like the guitar comparison. My main instrument is bass. At the moment I have a £1600 Warwick 5 string bass, that is amazing and does a lot of things really really well, its great for smooth stuff soul, latin, hip hop etc and I also have a £200 Squier Jaguar 4 string, that is cheap as chips totally stock and sounds and play wonderfully and can do some really nice punky growl but also slaps and pops in a very funky seventies kinda way. Both have a place in my playing, I value both equally even though one cost 8 times more than the other.

Bottom line here think like an artist not a technician.

I come across this all the time in music. Yes you do have to be technical, but the key is to internalize the technicque so that it becomes muscle memory something that you don't really think of its just there to be drawn upon to realize your ideas.

Technique is a means to an end. When it becomes the end you have a problem.

• 2 weeks later...
The lower confidence, the greater the need to become part of a large clan. When they sacrifice in the form of enrollment rates for equipment, it must somehow justify this amount. From others, but mostly in front of him. When he cracks appear in this defense often wins offensive.

Why is this so? Usually because those who need it the most to the topic most strongly expressed, are unable to make proper photo and thus engage in "theory and technique."

Totally.

A better approach would be to demonstrate how to use the expensive vacuum by cleaning your entire house. By the time you are finished she will have greater respect for your opinions.