• Please log in to reply
150 replies to this topic

#141 ruby.monkey

ruby.monkey

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 19 March 2017 - 04:44 AM

Advertisement (Gone after free registration)

Billingham 445. It'll swallow anything from a Ricoh GRD4 to a Mamiya RZ67 (with extra film backs and change of lens) with ease and and let me carry it in comfort and in any weather; looks good; and will probably outlive me.

#142 fastnfurryous

fastnfurryous

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 19 March 2017 - 11:21 PM

I've sort of come to the conclusion, after extensive research...that there is no better camera bag for me than the Ona Prince Street. And I'm sort of disappointed because I don't really want to buy it. Don't get me wrong...I really want one because they're great bags but it's expensive and it still isn't the "perfect" bag. There aren't very many bells and whistles and did I mention it's expensive?

This is because I can't find another camera bag in that size, that looks that good, and is built from the ground up as a camera bag. I've looked a few others like Wotancraft, Zkin, Copper River, etc but most of them are more expensive (I can get Ona's with my employee discount, actually...and being Canadian, the 1:1.3 to the US dollar doesn't help).

The Prince Street is my ideal size at 12x10x4.5 and unlike a lot of other bags I looked at, they aren't just pretty bags with a camera insert in them. They're made to be camera bags. This disqualified a lot of brands like Copper River, Artisan and Artist, and lots more. Wotancraft makes some of the best quality inserts I've seen but since the Scout is $299, I might as well get a Ona Prince Street in dark truffle since it's pretty much the same price.

Dammit...I wanted to buy something more unique but I just can't find a better bag than the Ona. Seriously, I've looked everywhere. Oberwerth is twice as expensive and not as good looking, for example.

I have the ONA Brixton, and I use it for both work trips carrying the XP2 with up to 4 lenses (mostly only the 14/2.8 23/1.4 (attached) and sometimes the 56/1.2 though).

It is a really good bag and my SP3 with keyboard and charger also goes in there with spare batteries, headphones and assorted gubbins. It's more or less the perfect size for me, although I think I could make the price street work too. However, no matter how gorgeous the leather looks (and it is!) I wish I'd bought the waxed canvas version as the leather is HEAVY!

If I'm not travelling I'll tend to just sling the body with the 23/1.4 or else I'll grab my ONA Roma that I've had some D rings stitched to the outside of - which gets pretty much the same stuff in it.

If I'm using my big zoom 50-140/2.8 with the T/C I'll use my Timbuk2 medium messenger bag with the small camera insert thrown in (sadly no longer available) where my long lens kit (XP2 grip, 50-140, T/C, tripod collar, assorted attachment plates, more batteries...) live permanently.

#143 Adam Woodhouse

Adam Woodhouse

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 349 posts
  • LocationOntario, Canada

Posted 04 April 2017 - 02:31 PM

you people with ONA bags make me jealous .... 

TWO Fujifilm X-T2's
16mm/1.4 | 35mm/1.4 | 10-24mm/4 | 16-55mm/2.8 | 50-140/2.8

Rokinon 8mm/2.8

Flashes: Fujifilm EF-X500, iNissin i40 and two Yongnou 565's

Classic Lens Adapters: M42, Canon FD, Nikon and Minolta MD

Adam Woodhouse, Wedding Photographer
Ontario, Canada
http://www.adamwoodhouse.info
Twitter: @woodhousephoto

#144 bigdaddy185

bigdaddy185

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
  • LocationToronto

Posted 04 April 2017 - 02:56 PM

I've sort of come to the conclusion, after extensive research...that there is no better camera bag for me than the Ona Prince Street. And I'm sort of disappointed because I don't really want to buy it. Don't get me wrong...I really want one because they're great bags but it's expensive and it still isn't the "perfect" bag. There aren't very many bells and whistles and did I mention it's expensive?

This is because I can't find another camera bag in that size, that looks that good, and is built from the ground up as a camera bag. I've looked a few others like Wotancraft, Zkin, Copper River, etc but most of them are more expensive (I can get Ona's with my employee discount, actually...and being Canadian, the 1:1.3 to the US dollar doesn't help).

The Prince Street is my ideal size at 12x10x4.5 and unlike a lot of other bags I looked at, they aren't just pretty bags with a camera insert in them. They're made to be camera bags. This disqualified a lot of brands like Copper River, Artisan and Artist, and lots more. Wotancraft makes some of the best quality inserts I've seen but since the Scout is $299, I might as well get a Ona Prince Street in dark truffle since it's pretty much the same price.

Dammit...I wanted to buy something more unique but I just can't find a better bag than the Ona. Seriously, I've looked everywhere. Oberwerth is twice as expensive and not as good looking, for example.

The Ona Prince at Henry's is  $489. http://www.henrys.co...RK-TRUFFLE.aspx as apposed to the  $1,000 on Amazon.ca that you linked too. I hope this helps.

Edited by bigdaddy185, 04 April 2017 - 02:56 PM.

#145 milandro

milandro

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,642 posts

Posted 04 April 2017 - 06:25 PM

I am so happy with my Jill.E design Jack and that I’ve bought it when it was still available in the NL.

Full leather bags ( especially large ones) of this quality don’t grow on trees and there is NO WAY that I would have spent the kind of money that you are talking about!.

Jill_E_Designs_144744_Jack_Messenger_Cam

• johant likes this

the popular expression wishful thinking is an oxymoron!

To all TAPATALK users

As a form of courtesy towards your fellow users of this forum, PLEASE remove the obnoxious tapatalk signature, it adds nothing to anyone’s contribution and it is only a sneaky way used by tapatalk to push their product by polluting each forum participant with promoting their products with unpaid advertising for their software and the brand of your phone. Removing it is easy and it is an act of courtesy that shows respect for all those whom are annoyed by this pointless feature. This is not a personal attack to you, the annoyance is caused by tapatalk and the phone or tablet brands, they are getting all the exposure and you gain nothing by this.

#146 johant

johant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 731 posts

Posted 05 April 2017 - 02:58 PM

I still use my old LowePro Nova 4 bag. Over ten years old now, but it is still going strong. And I'd rather put my money in lenses or cameras than in a shiny new camera bag.

I've been tempted though, especially by the leather and canvas bags, but cannot justify the cost ;)

Edited by johant, 05 April 2017 - 02:58 PM.

#147 Horence

Horence

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 17 May 2017 - 03:53 AM

Wow, thanks for you sharing. All the bags those shown on this forum are beautiful. But my favorite camera bag is Bestek camera bag. Friend recommends it to me in three months ago, I have bought a black one. It is made of canvas, easy to proof water. The most important thing is that it is much cheaper. Have a nice day. 

#148 milandro

milandro

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,642 posts

Posted 17 May 2017 - 09:00 AM

I have bought the same Bestek bag ( comes under many brands and in several sizes I had a large one and still was too small for me because I hate piling up lenses and bodies)  and the bag came from China folded inside its insert (interesting shipping method) which was in a black plastic bag.

moacc-camera-bag-622x332.jpg

It is as cheap as chips and nice looking on pictures, a bit less from close up.

I've used it for a couple of weeks and sold it, locally, for the price that I paid ( I think that I still have a couple of dividers that i forgot to give the buyer).

It is not that I want to dis this bag, but is really (for me) very very flimsy. You can find the same bag in more expensive versions on the market but I was disappointed.

The reason why I bought the bag above ( yes, the Jack by Jill.E costs 5 times as much or more than the Bestek) is not only durability and manufacture quality but also the fact that you can use this bag to go on holiday and pack it full of everything that you need, photographically and tourist wise.

I also have a soft bag by Crumpler where I put  an insert inside or not and carry a body and two lenses as absolute minimum for holiday which don’t require me taking much.

ddm-m-013_front_2.jpg

I paid peanuts for this Crumpler and I would recommend it for short trips , with a cheap insert it certainly works wonders even with a lot of equipment

Edited by milandro, 17 May 2017 - 09:02 AM.

To all TAPATALK users

As a form of courtesy towards your fellow users of this forum, PLEASE remove the obnoxious tapatalk signature, it adds nothing to anyone’s contribution and it is only a sneaky way used by tapatalk to push their product by polluting each forum participant with promoting their products with unpaid advertising for their software and the brand of your phone. Removing it is easy and it is an act of courtesy that shows respect for all those whom are annoyed by this pointless feature. This is not a personal attack to you, the annoyance is caused by tapatalk and the phone or tablet brands, they are getting all the exposure and you gain nothing by this.

#149 Mike G

Mike G

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 456 posts
  • LocationLondon

Posted 17 May 2017 - 10:24 AM

I have just received a brand new sparkly Billingham Hadley 1, in Sage green fibrenyte/chocolate leather, a new design by Billingham in the Hadley range! Seems quite bit deeper than my previous Hadley Pro and absolutely swallows a Fuji X-T2 and the following lenses 16mm, 23mm, 56mm and 90mm lenses with room to spare and an internal pocket for an iPad and a rear pocket for a 13" MacBook in a rear pocket. And now including a detacheable strap!  Built to Gillingham's usual superb quality but yes expensive!

Plenty of room for a Fujinon 100-400mm and a 50-140mm zooms!

https://www.billingh...aphic/bags.html

Edited by Mike G, 17 May 2017 - 10:39 AM.

#150 milandro

milandro

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,642 posts

Posted 17 May 2017 - 10:28 AM

I have compared my Jack to many other bags and I am still very happy that I have my gorgeous leather bag. As for space. I would gladly challenge anyone to find another bag as spacious.

This review isn’t mine

To all TAPATALK users

#151 jlmphotos

jlmphotos

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 481 posts
  • LocationTime Split between New Jersey and Maine

Posted 17 May 2017 - 02:11 PM

This is the Lowerpro 302 AW Slingshot Backpack.  I use this for storage at home, and the bag that I use to transport equipment in the car.  Out of this bag, I load up my Thinktank Retrospective 20 (in Pinestone) 

The Lowepro I've also used to hike.  Not with all this equipment, but pretty well loaded up.  It also has a side strap for my tripod and numerous pockets for accessories.  Just as an example here is what I keep in it and travel with:

Nikon D800

Nikon 50mm 1.8G

Nikon 18-35 G

Vivitar 100mm F2.8 Macro (not visible)

Fuji X-T1 with grip

Fuji 18-55 Lens

Fuji 35mm F1.4

Fuji 55-200

Zeiss Touit 12mm 2.8 (not visible)

Nikon SB700

Nikon SB400

Fuji EF-42

Fuji Extension tubes

Thinktank Pocket Rocket SD card wallet 12ea 16G & 32G cards

Think tank battery holder for 4 Fuji batteries

Think tank battery holder for 4 Nikon D800 Batteries

Filter pouch loaded with all my Singh-Rays and ND filters

Cleaning supplies

Remote releases for both bodies

And numerous smaller items

I normally would already have my Think Tank Retro 20 pre-packed with what I "think" I"ll need, and the backpack stays in the car.

attachicon.gifFullSizeRender.jpg

I feel I have to amend this.  Recently, I purchased the Thinktank Citywalker 30 and I've been using it as a walk around bag, office messenger bag, and finally a camera bag.  I have my review at my xshooters blog if you care to read the full review.  If not, that's cool.  I have more updates to post about using it on my first away from home stock/travel trip and I plan to do that later this week.  

Jorge L. Moro   | X-T1 |  X-T2 | 18-55 |  Zeiss 12/2.8  |  Fuji 16 1.4  |   Fuji 23 1.4 | Fuji 35 1.4 | Fuji 60 2.4 Macro | Fuji 55-200  |

My websitexshooters blog  |  Flickr  | 

x

Registration is free

Not registered? Really?

Discover the full potential of the Fuji X Forum... register now!
Registration is free and done in a few minutes!

As registered member you can discuss, post your questions and present your images.
And get in contact with Fuji X photographers worldwide!

We are looking forward to you!

The Fuji X Forum Team

Register Close